Coolant refilling - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #1

Coolant refilling

I want to drain and refill the coolant on my 2003 GT. I have a Haynes Manual but it is very vague and frankly I do not trust it. My main concern is how to properly refill the system.
GTRAGTOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Coolant refilling

im probly wronge so please wait for others......but i believe you filler up let it run for a second or so and filler up the rest of the way and repeat untill it at the fill line,
eddie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

Just fill the radiator, and crank it up and let it run for a while with the cap off. It will circulate through and bleed out all the air. Just keep adding fluid as the level drops in the radiator until it stops dropping.
ThaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

yea thats it basically. Drain radiator, refill, then keep the overflow bottle full as the coolant starts to flow (takes a few min to get the car hot enough to trigger this)

After say 20-30 minutes you should be good. You will have a coolant passage area that is the highest point in the coolant system that usually has a stop you can remove and add fluid as air gets caught here~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:30 AM   #5

SpectorV,
Where is The coolant passage stop that you refer to located? Is it a fill point?
Old 09-15-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I forgot to mention you need to let the car get up to operating temp so that the thermostat will open.
ThaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

little off topic.....but what would you guys say is the BEST absolute BEST money not a issue, clean out product for you engine?
eddie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

the only thing ive seen is seafoam ive never personally used it though
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

I have used seafoam and when i was a mechanic at a ford/nissan dealership in Texas that is what we used and recommended to all our cutsomers. I have never had any problems with it. It might make your care smoke for a little bit, depending on how dirty your car is but it will go away.
99 SVT Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:00 AM   #10

Hey guys,
I invested in a 2003 Mustang factory service manual. For refilling the 4.6 2V engine Ford instructs you to drain the engine at the radiator drain plug, remove the thermostat and disconnect the heater core hose at the rear of the manifold. Then use the thermostat opening as a fill point. Any comments?

'Ragtop
Old 09-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRAGTOP View Post
Ford instructs you to drain the engine at the radiator drain plug, remove the thermostat and disconnect the heater core hose at the rear of the manifold. Then use the thermostat opening as a fill point.
Yeah that makes sense because the water neck is the highest point of the system on a 2V. Fill the system at the neck by pulling off the upper rad hose a little.
jm@ReischePerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:40 AM   #12

Hello All,
I drained, refiiled and bled my cooling system as per the Factory Shop Workbook and was completely sucessful. You must remove the thermostat and fill the sytem from there ont eh 2003 GT 4.6 2V. Besides replacing the thermostat is good P.M. The main thing I would like to stress is using a manufacturers service manual as a primary reference material. Haynes and Chilton books can privde some good general info but can give you just enough information to initiate a complete Disaster! As has been said "Information is Power" and by using forums like this one, sound technical information on your specific model, OEM parts and thorough planning and thinking are the only way to approach automotive service. Especially when you are doing for the first time. I bought my 2003 Ford Mustang Shop Workbook on EBAY, used for $75.00 and I think it has already paid for itself.

'RAGTOP
Old 09-30-2009, 04:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

The manuals that Im finding only say mustang on it. I just want to make sure that it works for GTs not just V6. Does yours say GT or does it cover all models
04_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:12 PM   #14

Region: West Virgina

Throwing my $0.02 in here, when you drain your coolant, it is usually a good idea to backflush the lines, as well. You can buy a kit at autozone/advance for like three bucks that makes this a very simple task. All it is is a garden hose connection you put on one of your coolant lines (on my jeep it was the line going between the radiator and heater core) and a little nozzle that snaps into where your radiator cap goes. Basically all you do is, once you drain all your coolant out, put the drain plug back in, hook a garden hose up to that connection you installed, turn the water on, and just let it do its thing until the water running out of the radiator runs clear. Then you shut the hose off, drain all the water out, then fill per manufacturers specs. I know the first time I did this, the water looked like chocolate milk for like five minutes straight due to all the rust and whatnot chillin' in the system. (Bad coolant/water mixture from the previous owner, I think.) Again, just my $0.02 here. Might not need it if you've been dilligent with keeping your fluid fresh and mixed correctly.

Hope this helps.
-Flowmaster Cat-Back
-Ford Racing 3.73 Diff Gears
-The Best Warning Sticker EVER! http://www.americanmuscle.com/aiwapade.html
SSgt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:46 AM   #15

The Ford manuals cover only one specific model and year. The Mustang book covers the V6, 4.6 2V. 4.6 4V, and all models including special instructions for each model whether it is Coupe, Covertible,V6, GT, Mach I or Cobra. Very concise and more importantly, correct information.
As far as cooolant flushing the system goes Ford also offers a flushing kit (OEM). If necessary (very discolored coolant), I would reccomend flushing, but remember you will be flushing with non-distilled water, so it is imperitive that all that water is completely purged to prevent system contamiation/corrosion.
By the way, the 03 Mustang Shop Manaul makes no mention of removing the engine drain plug during servicing of the cooling sytem.

'Ragtop
Old 10-01-2009, 06:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04_GT View Post
The manuals that Im finding only say mustang on it. I just want to make sure that it works for GTs not just V6. Does yours say GT or does it cover all models
The Ford manuals cover only one specific model and year. The Mustang book covers the V6, 4.6 2V. 4.6 4V, and all models including special instructions for each model whether it is Coupe, Covertible,V6, GT, Mach I or Cobra. Very concise and more importantly, correct information.
Look on Ebay for the 04 Ford Mustang Workshop Manual. It may cost close to $100.00 but is less than retail and will pay for itself.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT