Little problem? or BIG? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Little problem? or BIG?

ok 1998 mustang gt, cold air, flowmasters cat backs.......the problem is like when I'm accelerating or coasting the car seems to studder like the power to the motor is getting effected or the clutch is slipping .....it very unnoticable unless you drive the car daily like i do. This studdering is very soft but surely there.

I've tested the clutch multiple time and it does not seem to be slipping at all.

When i floor it and say run through 1-3rd gear you can feel it jerking very slightly. I also have a stereo system in the car could the alternator be lacking the power needed for both car and system? The voltage guage with the car on and running with system at full power doesn't go below O in normal. The thing is it does it with the stereo off also.

My buddy says to bleed the clutch slave cylinder and see if that works...what your guys take on that idea?

any help?

........................................................................................................

Next question is when i hit the brakes the car jerks back in forth like the brakes are not working half the time. I'm guessing a got a warped brake rotor considering the pads are all fine. Whats the easiest way to find out what rotor is bad?.

any help?
eddie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2009, 12:13 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Re: Little problem? or BIG?

In my experience Ford has terrible rotors, so I'd guess you have a warped one. Try having a shop check them out and maybe they can turn them for you.

As for your stuttering problem, since you say its very slight, could it be the air conditioner?
ThaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

I'm not to sure about the stuttering but maybe it's a air or fuel issue? Clean out the air filter and MAF, maybe make sure the TPS is set correctly?

Or maybe a caliper is stuck, which could be causing both issues.

Get into an empty parking lot with some room and a nice straight. Get a bit of momentum and let go of the steering wheel and coast a bit and break and notice which direction the car pulls. The bad rotor/brakes will likely be on that side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

The Mustangs up to 2004 have a clutch cable that you have to adjust manually. 2005 is the first year for a hydraulic clutch that requires bleeding. If you want to adjust yours, have the car sitting in neutral, foot on the brake and put your foot behind the clutch pedal. Pull the pedal towards you. If you hear some clicks, then it needed to be adjusted, if it didn't click then it did not need to be adjusted.

95 GT- Sold
09 Hyundai Elantra Touring-new ride.
Looking for the next project car now
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

my car does it to sometimes but only when i have to run the a/c... the compressor kicks on and off cause the freon is low. so i would run around with the a/c off and see if it still does it...
Old 09-17-2009, 09:23 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

As stated before, there is nothing to bleed on our clutches, do that adjustment but I don't believe that's your problem.

At what speed are you having this issue? Around 35-40?
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

off topic but are PI heads worth the money as people say? See yet again i got to talking to my buddy and he says PI heads & cams & springs would be more worth it than 3.73 gears kit with tuner and diff rebuild on AM.

whats your guys oppinion
eddie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:37 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

get under the dash and locate the clutch qudrent (above the gas petal) push in the clutch with one hand and hold the quadrent with the other, ease out of the clutch petal. Hold tension on the clutch quadrent as it goes back to its original position. It will click if you did it right. Click it 2-3 times. This will take slack out of the petal. See if this helps. You want at least half an inch of travel between the start of pushing the clutch petal and the rpms slipping (go 45 down the highway hold gas steady with right foot and ease on clutch to test this)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

PEDAL
ThaWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT