New Battery Dead after 10 days.... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-26-2009, 07:58 PM   #1

Region: Indiana
New Battery Dead after 10 days....

I am looking at a constant 150MA drain on my battery.. Pulled the Maxi Fuse #6 and drain went away. Discovered that Maxi 6 under the hood fed the number 39 Fuse which is the GEM (Generic Electronics Module).... Replaced Maxi 6 and pulled fuse 39 - No Drain!!! Does this definitely mean that the GEM is bad or could it be something that runs off the GEM causing the drain? I have tested the new and old battery, alternator, starter and all other major components.. There are no courtesy lights staying on.... have disconnected the amps in the Mach460.... Still have drain on #39 5AMP GEM fuse. If anyone has any info or solutions regarding this please let me know. This seems to be a fairly common Ford issue but it's driving me nuts. I contacted the local dealership and they are talking $750-$1000 if this is the problem... $500 for the new module plus installation and programming. After locating the module - there is no way in hell I am going to try and remove it and replace it myself..That sucks!
snipercop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Re: New Battery Dead after 10 days....

I can't say I know where the GEM is, but you'll have to test all the components of it first. If no components are causing this drain then it is probably likely the GEM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #3

I am hoping I don't have to yank that module out of there... The GEM controls so many different things it may take forever to find....
From what I can see, the I/P 40 (#6 maxi) amp fuse powers other fuses.
1 20 amp--------Lighter
7 15 amp--------Main light switch, Generic Electronic module
13 15 amp--------Electronic flasher
19 15 amp--------Park lamp relay,Exterior rear view mirror switch, Master window/door lock control switch, Right window/door lock
25 25 amp--------Luggage compartment light
31 10 amp--------Data Link
39 5 amp --------GEM

So it looks like Fuses 1, 7, 13, 19, 25, 31, and 39 get their power from your #6 maxi 40 but the only one that stops the drain is the removal of #39... UGH... Why can't it be something easy like the electronic flasher?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Try some other fuses. I'm thinking that it may not be the GEM but something off of it. Instead of cutting off the electricity at the problem you are disconnecting it before hand and thus not actually finding the real source.

It's only a theory. Have you check something like the trunk light? If the trunk isn't closing right, say because of some cargo netting it will stay on and drain the battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:00 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

^ In addition to previous posts... Are you sure about your alternator?

I know I had a problem with mine, ended up killing a battery, getting a new one and killing that one real quick. Maybe its running, but just barely? This wasn't on a Mustang, but I know O'Reilys will test 'em. Like a 200 dollar part, and I'm sure any person semi-car knowledgable can replace it, as I did it in a parking lot with minimal tools.

1996 Chevy Lumina - My old sweetheart. I don't care what anyone says, it just won't ever die. Had more soul then a Temptations record. With 235k on the tach, it'd still roast the front tires.
LuminaV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

I have fixed many parasitic draws. First thing, how long are you letting the car sit before you check the draw? The car should sit for at least 20 mins. before testing to let a modules go into sleep mode. next how are you testing it with your multi. meter? you should be using a batt. disconnect with the multi meter on each side, so when you disconnect the batt. it's already flowing through the meter. If the modules loose batt. voltage if will wake the modules.

If you are already doing all this. You are on your way to fixing the problem. Now that you know what module is causing the problem. You need to find out what all the module controls. A lot of time it's not the module that is bad, but something that it controls is bad. It could be something as simple as a ground wire that is shorted to ground, so the feature still works, but it is really broken but you don't know it.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. Louis

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottcobra View Post
I have fixed many parasitic draws. First thing, how long are you letting the car sit before you check the draw? The car should sit for at least 20 mins. before testing to let a modules go into sleep mode. next how are you testing it with your multi. meter? you should be using a batt. disconnect with the multi meter on each side, so when you disconnect the batt. it's already flowing through the meter. If the modules loose batt. voltage if will wake the modules.

If you are already doing all this. You are on your way to fixing the problem. Now that you know what module is causing the problem. You need to find out what all the module controls. A lot of time it's not the module that is bad, but something that it controls is bad. It could be something as simple as a ground wire that is shorted to ground, so the feature still works, but it is really broken but you don't know it.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. Louis
Thanks for the vote of confidence.. That is exactly the way I have been testing it... I have a lock actuator on the passenger side that is not working.. I can hear it trying to work and am hoping that it may be the source of the problem... Going to check this out the next time I get a chance. Right now, I have it on a Battery Tender keeping it up. Hopefully, I can figure this out soon.. It is starting to tick me off... Definitely coming from the GEM module fuse.. Hope that doesn't need replacing as it appears to be a bear to get to - not to mention the fact that the dealership wants $440 for the part plus programming.. UGH...
Old 12-29-2010, 07:21 PM   #8

Region: Kansas

I've decided to revive this thread in case anyone is still having problems. By disconnecting one wire from the GEM under the dash, I was able to solve the parasitic draw problem in my mustang without any adverse effects. Someone with an official wiring diagram can help to complete this post.

I have a 2003 V6 coupe with ABS and traction control and for the past three years I have been wrestling with battery issues. I replaced my alternator last year but no avail. Whenever my car sat for more than a week, the battery would be less than 10 volts and be unable to start the car. I've gone through 3 Everstart batteries – each one lasting <12 months – and whenever I exchange them Walmart says it had a bad cell. I started to question the probability of this happening to every battery I exchanged so I turned my attention to my car's electrical system.

Batteries dying seems like a common problem for all of the 94-04 mustangs. Some people's solution is to take out their CDs and turn off the radio; unfortunately, this did not work for me. Others suggest using a trickle charger whenever the car sits. However, I REFUSE to cover up this problem by putting my car on trickle charger. If these cars can not sit for longer than a week without dying then they are HORRIBLY engineered vehicles.

I removed my negative terminal and connected a multimeter in series (one probe on the negative terminal and the other on the negative lead) to measure the current. After hitting the lock button on my key fob to turn off the interior lights, the current drops to 150 mA. Pulling fuses one by one, I narrow the problem down to the GEM (fuse #39) as the only circuit drawing power. I put the fuse back in and wait several hours to see if the computer goes to sleep, but it never does. Doing a simple calculation for a 150 mA draw with the stock 40 Amp-hour battery gives: 40/.15/24=11 days. It's no wonder my battery only lasts a week.

While pulling fuse #39 stops the parasitic draw, it is NOT the source of the problem. For some reason the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is not putting the car to sleep after it sits for a little bit like it is supposed to. I start disconnecting wire harness connectors under the dash to find the signal that is keeping the computer awake. I discovered that if I remove the black connector closest to the door under the GEM behind the driver's kick-panel, then my 150mA current drops down to 100mA. What's great though, is that after 40 minutes, it goes to sleep and drops to <5mA. I measured all of the voltages of the wires in this plug and discovered that the black/white wire is the only one with +12 VDC. This wire is actually connected to the interior lighting fuse, #7, and not #39. I removed the black/white wire from the black connector and plug the connector back into the module. The current went back up to 150mA, however, the computer still went to sleep after 40 minutes.

Everything seems to be working just fine and the remote keyless entry, interior lights, wipers, warning lights, power windows, one-touch driver's window, and heated rear window still work the way they are supposed to. The GEM has other +12 VDC wires powering it so I don't really know what this specific wire is actually doing other than playing havoc with my computer's sleep function. Anyone with an official shop manual or detailed wiring diagrams for the 99-04 V6 models may be able to figure out exactly what it is. If this wire is not the actual problem, then I would like to narrow it down even further to figure out which component is faulty or where there is a short.

The wires in this black 12-pin connector for the GEM are as follows:

brown/red____________yellow/white
gray/blue_____________(empty)
purple/yellow__________(empty)
black/white(removed)___(empty)
(empty)_______________black/blue
black/purple___________(empty)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1292.JPG
Views:	9338
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	22478  
GhostRider117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:43 PM   #9

I have a schematic of the gem that I found on the internet. It won't let me post it for some reason, but if you would like to pm me, I can email it to you as an attachment.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT