Intake for 06 GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-19-2005, 02:04 AM   #1

Region: Tennessee
Intake for 06 GT

Hey everybody. I am new to the board so if there has already been a thread on this please just post a link.

I just ordered a Vista Blue 06' GT that should arrive in 5 - 7 weeks and I am looking for an intake. I am thinking a K&N and a dyno tune. My other immediate mods will include H&R suspension and a Borla exhaust. Is there another intake that will provide more hp on the 3 valve? If so please let me know.
VistaBlue 06 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2005, 08:37 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Bane-
your not going to get much hp from a intake, just go with the cheapest fenderwell one you can find. exhaust is all preference catback wise..its what ever sound you like. not until you change the mid pipes and headers will you get any real gains.
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:46 AM   #3
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
I disagree with what bane said. Buy a nice intake like JLT so when you start upgrading more parts on your car, you're not going to be restricted by any airflow due to a crappy intake. Id recommend JLT, bbk, mac, any of the big names that make something for the 05+ cars.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2005, 09:04 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
I will disagree with my friend Zim. The fact is just get the Lowest price CAI you can find that has the least amount of bends. I had a Densecharger I traded for a MAC. I would have not bought a MAC at $150 if I had to pay for it. In looking at the $50 CAI found on Ebay I see no difference in quality!!!!
Old 07-19-2005, 09:54 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Bane-
your paying the name engraved into the aluminum tube, I could goto home depot right now and make one out of pvc pipe and accomplish the same thing for what...$15 tops? it just wont look as pretty, and thats when paint gets involved
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 04:33 PM   #6

Thanks for the help guys. I have no intention of adding headers or anything that might void my warranty. With an intake I can always do a quick switch back to stock if I need to see the dealer.

This car is a DD so the main thing I am interested in is upgrading the suspension to get rid of the pig like handeling. I am adding an exhaust for looks and sound. I just like the Borla.

I appreciate all the input. Some of the intakes I have seen were over $300. Any links to where I might pick up one of the ones you guys mentioned?
Old 07-19-2005, 04:34 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
agree with everyone except for zim
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 09:14 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VistaBlue 06 GT
Thanks for the help guys. I have no intention of adding headers or anything that might void my warranty. With an intake I can always do a quick switch back to stock if I need to see the dealer.

This car is a DD so the main thing I am interested in is upgrading the suspension to get rid of the pig like handeling. I am adding an exhaust for looks and sound. I just like the Borla.

I appreciate all the input. Some of the intakes I have seen were over $300. Any links to where I might pick up one of the ones you guys mentioned?
In driving a couple of 05 GT's Their handling is far from what I would call a pig. I have driven many true sports cars and muscle cars past and present and with the exception of a few cars out there the 05 handles really good especially for a over 3000 lb car.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
In driving a couple of 05 GT's Their handling is far from what I would call a pig. I have driven many true sports cars and muscle cars past and present and with the exception of a few cars out there the 05 handles really good especially for a over 3000 lb car.
Not to offend but with the suspension work I had done on my last auto X car it would pull over 1g on the skidpad. I have read from .84 to .88 for the new Stang, and my experience driving my friend's 05 tells me .85g at best.

The car tends to understeer a good bit and there is too much wheel hop. That is especially dangerous when taking a high speed corner. Just a couple of observations. Oh, and I am a suspension freak. It's all about the handeling.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:37 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Not to offend but with the suspension work I had done on my last auto X car it would pull over 1g on the skidpad. I have read from .84 to .88 for the new Stang, and my experience driving my friend's 05 tells me .85g at best.

The car tends to understeer a good bit and there is too much wheel hop. That is especially dangerous when taking a high speed corner. Just a couple of observations. Oh, and I am a suspension freak. It's all about the handeling.
I also have extensive suspension experience as well as racing experience in my 25 years of car building and modding. I did not say there was no room for improvement on the 05. I merely stated that compared to almost all cars stock from the factory the 05 Mustang is one of the best handling cars right off the showroom floor. All cars are set up for a bit of understeer from the factory. I have set my car up for handling the twisty roads I frequent in the mountains.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:15 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
C&L intake + matching diablosport tune showed ~22 HP gain to the wheels (5.0 mustangs magazine dyno tests)

that's the way I'd go personally..
Old 07-20-2005, 10:38 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan
C&L intake + matching diablosport tune showed ~22 HP gain to the wheels (5.0 mustangs magazine dyno tests)

that's the way I'd go personally..
Who paid for that test I suspect almost all magazine articles now!!!
Old 07-20-2005, 01:29 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to whipster24 Send a message via Yahoo to whipster24
intake + chip + gears/tires + exhaust = 12's in the 1/4

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
whipster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipster24
intake + chip + gears/tires + exhaust = 12's in the 1/4
I heard this before but it was a pulley kit instead of gears. I will put on everything other than the gears. Not trying to worsen the gas mileage any more than I have to.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:56 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
I heard this before but it was a pulley kit instead of gears. I will put on everything other than the gears. Not trying to worsen the gas mileage any more than I have to.
He was joking. intake + chip + gears/tires + exhaust will not get you into the 12's unless you strap a rocket to the back of your stang.

Losing mileage with engine mods does not have to happen. Pulleys, gears, exhaust, CAI will not casue you to lose much gas mileage. You might actually gain in city driving as long as you keep your foot out of the throttle, in highway mileage you will lose about .5 to 1 mpg at 75mph with 3.73 gears and 1 to 1.5 mpg at 75 mph with 4.10's so it is not that bad. Also if you do engine mods like P&P heads, intakes and cam you still dont lose a lot unless you like stomping the pedal down.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:45 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
He was joking. intake + chip + gears/tires + exhaust will not get you into the 12's unless you strap a rocket to the back of your stang.

Losing mileage with engine mods does not have to happen. Pulleys, gears, exhaust, CAI will not casue you to lose much gas mileage. You might actually gain in city driving as long as you keep your foot out of the throttle, in highway mileage you will lose about .5 to 1 mpg at 75mph with 3.73 gears and 1 to 1.5 mpg at 75 mph with 4.10's so it is not that bad. Also if you do engine mods like P&P heads, intakes and cam you still dont lose a lot unless you like stomping the pedal down.
Funny I acctualy gained mileage doing those.
Bassini O/R X Pipe
FRPP Adjustable Clutch Cable
UPR Extreme Triple Hook Quadrant
UPR Extreme Firewall Adjuster
Ford 11"Clutch Conversion
C&L MAF
WMS CAI
Aluminum Drive Shaft
95 V6 Vert: 4.2L swap, Trac Lock, Light Cam, Mac Shrorty Headers, More to come.
AlmostN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:04 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostN8
Funny I acctualy gained mileage doing those.
I gained in the city but lost a bit on the highway. I make the same trips to Chattanooga, Panama City Beach, Birmingham and Mobile and I lost 20 miles per tank. In the city I actually gained but only when I stay off the pedal.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:56 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:

with DRs and those mods (if they're quality ones) on an 05+ it most definitely should get you into the 12s.. hell they run 13.40s if not better out of the box
Old 07-22-2005, 12:50 AM   #19

Quote:
I was talking to a guy who said he had a C&L with diablo sport, exhaust, pulley, and some street radials (guessing Mickey Thompson's) and supposedly he ran a 12.8. Not sure about this but a couple of my friends say it is true. Not sure if he had gears or not.

A friend of mine works at a local shop and they say the 05's dyno at 265 - 275 at the wheels brand new. He said with intake, exhaust, and dyno tune 300rwhp is common. I will know for sure when mine gets here, then I will post some #'s.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:46 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
with DRs and those mods (if they're quality ones) on an 05+ it most definitely should get you into the 12s.. hell they run 13.40s if not better out of the box
Sorry but a 300 HP O5 GT weighing 3450 is not running 12's with bolt-ons plain and simple. A 465 HP 03 Cobra is running high 11's low 12's. Where in the hell did those numbers come from!!!! Bone stock they are 13.6 to 13.9
Old 07-22-2005, 05:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Sorry but a 300 HP O5 GT weighing 3450 is not running 12's with bolt-ons plain and simple. A 465 HP 03 Cobra is running high 11's low 12's. Where in the hell did those numbers come from!!!! Bone stock they are 13.6 to 13.9
Either way this will never be a drag car for me. I may take it to the track just to see what it runs, but I have a drag car. the investment it would take to make this Stang faster than my Nissan 240SX wouldn't be worth it. Then I would have 2 drag cars and no DD.

It should make a fun DD/auto X car with some suspension work though.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:51 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Either way this will never be a drag car for me. I may take it to the track just to see what it runs, but I have a drag car. the investment it would take to make this Stang faster than my Nissan 240SX wouldn't be worth it. Then I would have 2 drag cars and no DD.

It should make a fun DD/auto X car with some suspension work though.

You could add 150 HP to that car in it would still be a daily driver with no problems
Old 07-22-2005, 08:02 PM   #23

Quote:
You could add 150 HP to that car in it would still be a daily driver with no problems
Well, then it would only be 1300 lbs heavier and 200hp shy of the Nissan. But the Nissan is about to get a new valvetrain that allows for more boost. with that, the new turbo, and new injectors we are shooting for 1000 rwhp. If you want a list of mods to the 240sx just ask, I will be happy to post them.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:44 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I wanna see this 240 sometime, sounds like a beast.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:07 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
I would guess the 05-06 GT would have traction problems with the stock tires, they are only like 235/50/17s.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 10:28 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
I wanna see this 240 sometime, sounds like a beast.
As soon as it is fully together I will post pics. Just got the Nismo rod and main bearings out of customs and hope to have the bottom end rebuilt and running real soon. This winter we are going to do a full race P&P, ferrea 1mm oversized valves, dual valve springs, titanium retainers, a custom grind camshaft, and bronze valve guides. Also some Tomei adjustable cam gears.

It will put down 600rwhp with a stock head and no nitrous. But now I gotta upgrade everything to get ready for a bigger turbo and some spray. All I can say is that modding a Nissan is $$$.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:40 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:

I've SEEN one bone stock at the track run 13.42 @ well over 100 MPH, still had the TEMP TAG in the rear window.. many magazines have repeated those #s.. and yeah drag radials on that? ...

I guess it all comes down to who's driving and if its a manual trans or not.. Its definitely possible.. I was told I couldn't break 13s with my '02 with the mods I had.. I did.. and my 89 defies all laws on that front.. 13.7s out of a stock appearing and running motor with a few boltons? at 184k miles?
.. **** happens I guess?
Old 07-22-2005, 11:31 PM   #28

Quote:
I've SEEN one bone stock at the track run 13.42 @ well over 100 MPH, still had the TEMP TAG in the rear window.. many magazines have repeated those #s.. and yeah drag radials on that? ...

I guess it all comes down to who's driving and if its a manual trans or not.. Its definitely possible.. I was told I couldn't break 13s with my '02 with the mods I had.. I did.. and my 89 defies all laws on that front.. 13.7s out of a stock appearing and running motor with a few boltons? at 184k miles?
.. **** happens I guess?
In the april 05' issue of R&T they tested 6 different versions of the 05' Mustang with the GT running to 60 in 4.9 with a 1/4 mile speed of 13.5.

Could we attribute the 89 running 13.7 to carbon buildup on the pistons possibly raising the compression ratio a bit? Just a thought.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:02 AM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
In the april 05' issue of R&T they tested 6 different versions of the 05' Mustang with the GT running to 60 in 4.9 with a 1/4 mile speed of 13.5.

Could we attribute the 89 running 13.7 to carbon buildup on the pistons possibly raising the compression ratio a bit? Just a thought.
With the amount of spark knock my 89 must have at 16* timing.. I doubt its carbon, at least not on the piston itself.. it does have gt40 upper/lower intakes, TB, Mass air/injectors, bbk headers midpipe, 3.73s etc..
Old 07-23-2005, 09:46 AM   #30
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
damn, I was scanning up from the bottom, and I saw some stuff about turbos from VistaBlue 06 GT. I got really excited.

But alas, he has a 240.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:15 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:

It's already happened.

A bolt on 05 has run in the 11's in fact. granted, that was with a 4.56 gear.

There have been a LOT of them running 12s with bolt ons. 300 hp is underating these engines and it is very much tuned down from the factory. Some tuning makes a huge difference. Especially getting rid of the factory torque modulation

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
Old 07-25-2005, 10:18 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
It's already happened.

A bolt on 05 has run in the 11's in fact. granted, that was with a 4.56 gear.

There have been a LOT of them running 12s with bolt ons. 300 hp is underating these engines and it is very much tuned down from the factory. Some tuning makes a huge difference. Especially getting rid of the factory torque modulation
And your not talking simple bolt ons either are you?????
Old 07-26-2005, 12:00 AM   #33
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
well, a s/c just bolts on....
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 07:13 AM   #34
Legacy Member
Legacy

bolt ons besides the gears, many people put gears into the "bolt on's" category though

-Adolf Hitler, 1935
Old 07-26-2005, 07:46 AM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
bolt ons besides the gears, many people put gears into the "bolt on's" category though

Sorry I dont know who puts gears in bolt ons because I dont know many people who can disassemble a rear end, install gears correctly and put it back together in a hour or so. Bolt ons are exactly what it says. Things you can do with a screw driver, wrench or socket set in a hour or so. CAI, CAI, T/B switch. I would not even put intake spacers on a 99+ simple because for novice backyard mechanics it can be difficult. Gears are as bolt on as doing a head swap!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT