first vette kill :D - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-31-2005, 08:46 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to whipster24 Send a message via Yahoo to whipster24
first vette kill :D

So I was driving out to Omaha friday night for the Midwest Stangs cruise/bbq on sunday. I was staying with some friends there.. Anyway, back to the vette.

I was heading west on I-80 out of Des Moines and I notice a C5 up in front of me a little ways. Of course there is a few cars between us taking up both lanes so I had to just ride close to them all for a while until I could get around. As I'm approaching the vette I pass a yellow 5.0 sn95 and send a smile/wave at the hottie driving.. (she probably just had to laugh about that )

I pull up next to the vette and match speed then drop into 4th and take off. At this point I was just letting him know my intentions since we were in traffic at that point so I slow back to a reasonable speed and he follows me for about 30 minutes until the road clears up.

He inches up next to me and I look over to see an old guy and his white haired wife riding along with a big ole grin on her face. I give him the jump and drop it into 4th at 80 mph. we stay even for a split second and then it's instapull. Not even close It made for a nice little ego boost

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
whipster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2005, 09:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

awesome man
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 09:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Dark02Pony
awesome man. i raced a vette .....but i lost
Operation: Evolutionization.......Member #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan
Ford Motor Company = FoMoCo..
what does that make Honda Motor Company????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole
Mineral Gray is such a hott color. Much better then orange
Dark02Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2005, 09:03 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Haha nice man
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 09:05 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
and i thought i was hot **** beating a camaro

good job

i might start chasing the C4's around here, see if i can beat up on some L98 ***
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 10:31 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

fun huh?
Old 07-31-2005, 11:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to red herring
Hate to spoil the fun but I'd say the guy wasn't racing or made a big mistake. Corvettes are fast, especially up top, so if it wasn't even close then he wasn't racing or he made a mistake or something like that.
red herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 11:24 PM   #8
Road Trip!

so a supercharged mustang cant keep up with an LS1 corevette?

also...lets see...he's putting down more hp at the wheels than an LS1 corvette has at the flywheel...
Old 07-31-2005, 11:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird232ci
so a supercharged mustang cant keep up with an LS1 corevette?

also...lets see...he's putting down more hp at the wheels than an LS1 corvette has at the flywheel...
I'm just uncertain. N/A horsepower is different from forced induction horsepower. The corvette should have more aggressive gearing and perhaps weighs slightly less (and should have less wind resistance at those speeds.) I'm not doubting that he won, it's just that I would imagine it would be more competitive.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:46 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64
ego boost.....was that a pun??? lol, good job
Old 07-31-2005, 11:49 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red herring
N/A horsepower is different from forced induction horsepower.
could you please explain that?
Old 07-31-2005, 11:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I mean if you took a car and gave it 300 hp with a turbo and took the same car and gave it 300 hp N/A the N/A version is usually faster. It usually has a flatter toque curve and doesn't have to wait for the power to kick in or have turbo lag.

The reason I say this is because usually what I see on bimmerforums is that the Euro S52 with 320hp runs faster than the American S52 which comes with only 240hp, even if it's been turbo'd to 320hp. The turbo car with the same hp usually isn't as fast, even though it's same car and same hp. Also, dyno's usually show the N/A S52 with a flatter torque curve.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:59 PM   #13
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Quote:
I mean if you took a car and gave it 300 hp with a turbo and took the same car and gave it 300 hp N/A the N/A version is usually faster. It usually has a flatter toque curve and doesn't have to wait for the power to kick in or have turbo lag.

The reason I say this is because usually what I see on bimmerforums is that the Euro S52 with 320hp runs faster than the American S52 which comes with only 240hp, even if it's been turbo'd to 320hp. The turbo car with the same hp usually isn't as fast, even though it's same car and same hp. Also, dyno's usually show the N/A S52 with a flatter torque curve.
Perhaps thats the case with turbos, but, he is pimpin an S/C.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:04 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Does it seem right for him to be losing almost 100 hp to the wheels? I mean, that could be normal but holy hell, that's a lot of hp.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:09 AM   #15
Road Trip!

and turbo lag is a common misconception that 90% of non-turbo drivers have

if you know how to drive a car, it will not lag

as for the torque curve, a turbo car can/will have a better torque curve than an n/a car, especially if driven properly, people assume because a turbo lags, that torque is horrible, and thats not true, generally turbo cars are more torquey than N/A cars with similar horsepower numbers

there was a guy who build an N/A 2.3L, ported head, cam, bumped the compression to 10.5:1, header back exhaust, custom intake manifold, and the thing was capable up running up to 8K rpms, it churned out i think 202hp at the wheels, and something like 192rwtq, where as my stock 2.3L turbo puts down 190hp and 240ftlbs at the flywheel, with the small mods i have, i should have about 200 at the wheels, and around 260ft/lbs of torque at the wheels...explain that
Old 08-01-2005, 12:23 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird232ci
as for the torque curve, a turbo car can/will have a better torque curve than an n/a car, especially if driven properly,
the torque curve should not change with drivers, it just depends on how the driver can utilize what he/she has.

I don't see what you're asking explanation for...you gave rwhp for one and crank hp for the other expecting a correlation. Are you comparing 2.3L from the same car? Also, the N/A guy changed cams; as far as I can tell cam setups often sacrifice torque for hp or vice versa. That may not always be the case but from what I've seen on dyno graphs people often lose a ft.lb. of torque when they get cams, but gain hp.

Also, what "small mods" do you have that took you from 240 crank torque to 260 wheel torque.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:23 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Quote:
im sorry to say but youre backwards.

n/a cars have no top end(unless theyre built right) or theyre a honda. however a turbo car will rape in the top end, thats where all its power is. you say turbo lag is bad, i say its just foreplay, cause once it hits full boost, more than likely its over for the other guy.

youre right about the bimmer thing, but you gotta remember, the ones that start out with 320 are tuned for that, the ones that had to mod to get there prolly arent. and prolly like the difference between n/a supras and tt supras, 300zx tt and n/t , there are differences in the motor rotating assembly, even though its the same motor. one is meant for bewst, one isnt, and the one that isnt that gets boosted wont make the same amount of power, even though it could have everything from its boosted counterpart.

and you cant ever, ever put n/a vs f/i hp in a comparison. if i am making 350whp boosted and i pull up on a fbody making 350whp n/a im telling you right now, for the fbody guy, it aint gonna be pretty. btw at 15psi ive already taken numerous fbodies on the freeway, and that was only running 25lbs/min running rich. imagine 20psi with around 40lbs/min tuned. and aside from that, i raced a vette once and we were dead even.

there is no doubt in my mind whipster took a vette. theyre fast but not invincible. i mean, just look at the AMS 600hp evo that took on the 650hp supercharged vette, and look how that ended up. vette was seeing taillights, and that was on a freeway, where the awd of the evo is like throwing an anchor out back, and the vette should have had the advantage with less drivetrain loss.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:30 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude
there is no doubt in my mind whipster took a vette. theyre fast but not invincible. i mean, just look at the AMS 600hp evo that took on the 650hp supercharged vette, and look how that ended up. vette was seeing taillights, and that was on a freeway, where the awd of the evo is like throwing an anchor out back, and the vette should have had the advantage with less drivetrain loss.
That's crazy. See, I'm not doubting that it's the truth, but just by looking it's not what I would expect. If somebody posted that I would say "that seems weird being that the evo loses power up top and has less power to begin with."

Hahaha! Why is Tbird quoting me? Even eclipseGST has stipulated that FI hp is indeed different than N/A hp.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:06 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

yeah but im drugged up on dayquil and ib profin, i have the excuse of double guessing myself.

i think i meant you can compare it, but youll be wrong everytime about the outcome or who will win or such and what not.

Old 08-01-2005, 07:19 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

I've got more then 100 crank hp more then a c5. I doubt it would be all that close. I was at 3500 rpm when I shifted into 4th so I was right at my powerband. I love how people look at the vette like it's the ultimate car The reason for a lot of power loss is that I was dyno'd on a mustang dyno. On a dynojet I should put down around 410-420

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
Old 08-01-2005, 08:10 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF
nice kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:21 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Nice wonder what grandpa thought.

"**** i spent 50K and I still got beat by a damn mustang"

bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 01:20 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Send a message via AIM to 19ClearCobra96 Send a message via MSN to 19ClearCobra96
^lol
Nice kill
Old 08-01-2005, 03:34 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Re: first vette kill :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipster24
On a dynojet I should put down around 410-420
rwhp? That's a huge difference from what you have posted as rwhp.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:42 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

what I have posted was on a mustang dyno. they read lower then a dynojet

-Adolf Hitler, 1935
Old 08-01-2005, 04:15 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Alright, here is why I was concerned. This link says that Whipster24 ran 12.656 @ 113.61, here is the link: new track time...

Now here is a link from a corvette forum that shows a c5 running only slightly slower with the same trap: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=904483

Like I said, I never thought Whipster was lying, just thought it would be a bit closer.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:23 PM   #27
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

One thing to remember, 1/4 mile track times and street results are usually 2 different things. Anything can happen on the street....
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:21 PM   #28

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6

Nice kill, i can't wait to kill a vette, or ferrari, or something like that.... I can dream atleast, on another note, I killed an SRT-4 the other night
Old 08-01-2005, 05:26 PM   #29
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01mineralgrey6
Nice kill, i can't wait to kill a vette, or ferrari, or something like that.... I can dream atleast, on another note, I killed an SRT-4 the other night
I will be the first to raise the flag on this one :bs:

We all know the SRT-4s can not be beat.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:38 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Send a message via AIM to spadez81

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude
im sorry to say but youre backwards.

n/a cars have no top end(unless theyre built right) or theyre a honda. however a turbo car will rape in the top end, thats where all its power is. you say turbo lag is bad, i say its just foreplay, cause once it hits full boost, more than likely its over for the other guy.

Hence the need for forced induction, in order to bring top end power to a naturally aspirated engine that lacks top end power
Old 08-01-2005, 06:55 PM   #31

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin
I will be the first to raise the flag on this one :bs:

We all know the SRT-4s can not be beat.
i guess it was just a neon :dunno:
Old 08-01-2005, 07:27 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadez81
Hence the need for forced induction, in order to bring top end power to a naturally aspirated engine that lacks top end power
I don't know, maybe we just disagree, but my cars have always had more top end power than low end. It seems to me that the only cars with more low end power are Mustangs or other American cars. My supra had much more top end power than low end, so does my car now. The 350z seems to have pretty good top end, so does the corvette and so do most non-American exotic cars. All the hondas do, the s2000 and such, plus the rx-8 blah blah. It seems that it's pretty well divided between cars having good top end or low end.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:31 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Alright, here is why I was concerned. This link says that Whipster24 ran 12.656 @ 113.61, here is the link: new track time...

Now here is a link from a corvette forum that shows a c5 running only slightly slower with the same trap: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=904483

Like I said, I never thought Whipster was lying, just thought it would be a bit closer.

"Sounds like a very good run for a stock C5. Most will run in the low 13's. Nice run you put up."

my car can run low 12s with traction and a centrifugal blower is all about top end power.

-Adolf Hitler, 1935
Old 08-01-2005, 09:21 PM   #34
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
I don't know, maybe we just disagree, but my cars have always had more top end power than low end. It seems to me that the only cars with more low end power are Mustangs or other American cars. My supra had much more top end power than low end, so does my car now. The 350z seems to have pretty good top end, so does the corvette and so do most non-American exotic cars. All the hondas do, the s2000 and such, plus the rx-8 blah blah. It seems that it's pretty well divided between cars having good top end or low end.
those are all cars that are tuned on the edge from the factory(save for the vette, which is just badass in any form). a mustang is very detuned from the factory, and reacts very well to mods, not to mention with the proper tuning on even a mildly modded setup(mere boltons) could yeild great gains.

Old 08-17-2005, 08:46 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipster24
what I have posted was on a mustang dyno. they read lower then a dynojet
Not to sound dumb, but what is the difference between the two? Nice kill too

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT