Lowering?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Question Lowering??

I prob asked this before but now imm abt rdy to get it done....so i wann lower my car abt 1.6 in front and 1.5 in back....but i need to kno what all i need to do this my car is a 03 gt convertible.....i took it to this shop and the guy told me 1200 to do it....seems a bit too much to lower my car 1 in...??? so the parts i need and average cost to put them on?
Gt.Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Re: Lowering??

Check out the M.E. Article on the "How to" for lowering a car. You can do it real cheap.

All you should really need are new springs. Most aftermarket springs list the drop. H&R, Eibach, Ford are all brands to go with. You can also cut the stock springs if you are handy. Google is and there will be plenty on it.

There is some slight differences in springs. You'll see linear and progressive. Ford is mostly linear, H&R and Eibach are mostly progressive. What this means is that linear springs have a constant spring in them, that is no matter how hard you compress them the force is back will always be the same. Progressive springs are considered a bit better because they "self adjust" themselves to the force applied to them allowing for a bit smoother ride, that is the spring constant varies. You will want to get spring rates identical to the stock spring rates no matter what you decide to get.

While you are at it though it becomes a great opportunity to do some more upgrading/modding/preventive maintenance.

The first would be the spring isolators. Get some nice ones, I think this is where polyurethane is superior unless they offer derlin. Not really sure what material would be superior here. The next thing to upgrade would be are shocks and struts. The drop creates more stress on the stock shocks/struts. Even if you don't do it at the same time, it is advised to plan on changing them. Aftermarkets will be able to handle the load offer more ride comfort and better handling. Finally a new set of caster camber plates; you will only hear Maximum Motorsports, get them, they make aligning the car much easier.

Any other components you wish to change is up to you. None of this is necessary even for the lower stance but since you are in the area if you want to do a little more work. You can also upgrade the steering bushings and such, control arms if you want to get crazy. Maybe polish and paint your calipers or upgrade brake components to bigger rotors, cross/drilled, aftermarkets, whatever. Again this is getting pass the point of lowering, it's more of just an FYI.

Best part is this is all stuff you can do yourself. Bushings, caliper paint/polish are pretty cheap. So besides the parts you absolutely need and the parts you want to include (i.e. CC plates, struts/shocks) the only other money you will have to spend is for a new alignment - which you will need, and unless you can do that yourself this will be the only trip to the mechanic you should have to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

yepp looked at that article and loks like install the is a pain so whats the ballpark price for getting them install at a shop? and u said as of now just go with the springs??
Gt.Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Yea if you want you can just go with springs. As for the price install as per shop I can not say. Do some shopping around and see how much it will cost them to install new springs and alignment. Go to the cheapest, most reputable shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

if you lower it you will need the caster camber plates, it will wear the inside of the tires, idon't know about 02 but my 96 and 97 are not adjustable without the plates

+1 for the Maximum Motorsports
Want an 03/04 Cobra

Born:5/23/97, Build # 5722 of 6961 Builds
Cobra GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #6
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99

I had Maximum Motorsports CC plates on my 99 with a ~1.5" drop (Ford Racing C Springs, 1/2 coil cut in rear). I didn't personally install them, but a group of people on the site helped (@Brent, @SpectorV, @lowflyn and whoever I'm forgetting). It would have been a bit much for me alone, but SpectorV was a pro.

Moral of the story, Maximum Motorsports makes some awesome CC plates.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:52 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

read the article by SpectorV and take your time, i installed springs and c/c plates, it took all day and a 12pack, it looks like a tough job but once your done its not that bad, i could probably do it in half time now
2003 gt, sct custom tuned by VMP, k&n fipk, upr o/r x-pipe, dynomax turbo mufflers, mm c/c plates, mm full length subframe connectors, h&r race springs, bullit rims 18x10 rear 18x9 front, 4.10 gears, 20% tint, 9 inch shorty antenna
edross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:52 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Springs are not that hard to do. Drive down to Memphis and I'll install for a 12 pack.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:00 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Springs are not that hard to do. Drive down to Memphis and I'll install for a 12 pack.
how 'bout a case to lower AND wax? lol
outlawfrog is probably right
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawfrog View Post
I might pull an "osirisguy", and make that my new sig quote!
outlawfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:12 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

H&R Race/Eibach/Ford C springs - 160-250
MM 4 bolt CC plates - 180
Shocks/Struts - 250
Alignment - 60
Endlinks - 15
New isolators - 10-20
Installation - 250 (or free if you do it yourself)

How To: http://www.mustangevolution.com/articles/200716/

You dont need shocks/struts or endlinks. I would recommend them if you are into handling. If your car has higher miles (more than say 80k) I would probably do shocks/struts~ but you can always do it again later.

As far as installation its quite simple, you can do it if you have any mechanical ability and one very rare virtue (patience). Ive done many sets its not hard.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT