race gas - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2005, 06:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
race gas

i read that i can buy a smaller pulley and get 14 psi boost as opposed to my 10, but i have to use race gas. what exactly is race gas, just higher octane fuel than i can buy at the gas station? do i make race gas by buying high octane fuel and adding stp octane boost or the equivalent? Can someone fill me in on this please
Kenne Bell SC w/ intercooler, 90mm maf, mac cai, 70mm throttle body, 3:73 gears, Kenne Bell performance chip
99CobraVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2005, 07:58 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: race gas

Most race gas is 110 I believe...and you really don't want to see how much that stuff is. And that octane booster raises the octane all of .001 lol
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:06 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania

100 octane here is 4.30 a gallon

-Denver
2002 Mineral Grey GT, 5-speed: MGW short throw, JLT CAI: SOLD
2002 Electric Green V6, Auto: SOLD
greenpony02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2005, 10:42 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

There is 3 ways to get race gas.
1.By it and pay out the ***.
2.By Avgas from a FBO at the local airport. Civilian Aircraft use 100 Low Lead and a mix of 50% AVgas and 50% premium makes for a good mixture and half the price of race gas.
3. Go to a hardware store or Home depot spend 20 bucks on 2 gallons of Toluene and pour it in your car and fill up with premium gas. Two gallons of Toluene and a full tank of premium will bring you up from 92-93 to 95-96 octane or 95 to 98 octane
Old 08-18-2005, 11:38 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

holy crap, im never going to allow my car to require that! im not made of dolla bills
Kenne Bell SC w/ intercooler, 90mm maf, mac cai, 70mm throttle body, 3:73 gears, Kenne Bell performance chip
Old 08-18-2005, 04:48 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Most common race gas is C16. It was named that cause C in roman numerals is 100. But technically speaking, C16 is 117.5 leaded gasoline. It's not something to use in a daily driver.

You can do the tolune like Corey suggested. I would do more than 2 gallons though. If I remember right, the stang has a 14.1gal fuel tank? I would do abou 5gal of tolune and fill with premium. That will raise you over the 100 octane mark. No where near as safe as C16 though.

In your situation, I would do this:
Buy the pulley
Put it on before going to the drag strip (or at the dragstrip)
Go on near empty tank of fuel
Buy 2gal of C16 (so you'll have about 3gal in the tank when you run)
Run for the night with higher boost
take pulley off and replace normal one, go fill up at pump station right around corner of track.

EDIT: there is one more suggestion -- alcohol injection
Old 08-19-2005, 10:58 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

If you are really wanting 100 Octane just go to the airport and filler up Actually fill up some cans because pulling a car unto a ramp around A/C is not acceptable and illegal
Old 08-20-2005, 10:46 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci

if you buy racing gas, i suggest against CAM2, and use VP fuels, VP is a very consistant mix, and a better fuel all together
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 01:09 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird232ci
if you buy racing gas, i suggest against CAM2, and use VP fuels, VP is a very consistant mix, and a better fuel all together
But AVgas is 1/3 the price
Old 08-24-2005, 03:25 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

i think that if you got tuned for the 14psi and had enough fuel system behind you, you should be fine running 93 octane.

people use race gas on high boost amounts(like 25+) or nitrous, as a added protection against knock and predetonation. knock reduces timing which leads to reduced power. predetonation kills motors. with race gas, you can run leaner(or little bit higher boost on the same tune) without worrying about knock or detonation.

i have people who are tuned for 91 pisswater and 20psi daily, but use 100 octane at 25 psi on the same tune when they go to the track. if they tried 25psi on 91 it would surely knock.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:33 PM   #11
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I wouldn't see why you couldn't just get tuned for the 14 psi like eclipse said. If you have enough fuel pump and enough injector and a MAF that is not pegging out, you should be able to run 14 psi with no problem on 93. Hell, I am around 13-14 psi currently and I just use 93. it is all about the tune and the supporting fuel/air system.

In fact, now that I look at your sig and see your mods....Get the KB boost a pump to make sure you have enough fuel for the 14 psi. You may need a Diablo Maf.ia to make sure your MAF isn't pegging at 5 volts and possibly upgrade your injectors if needed. Other than that, just get your tune adjusted for the higher psi and be done with it. There are a number of guys running KB's up to 17-18 psi before needing higher octane. I think even 19 psi is ok. Granted, most of those are 03/04 guys. I'm not sure what your compression ratio is in your car off hand, but I would guess it isn't too high since it was an SC'ed Saleen to start with.

Cliff Notes: You should still be able to push 14 psi without going to race gas.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

thanks for the info guys. actually my car wasnt born a SC, my friend put that on a few months or so ago before i bought it. So I dont know what my compression is, but im guessing its not too low. I have the KB boost a pump and johnson fuel pump i think it is , i dont remember the size of my injectors, he told me but i forget, in the 30's, but im having problems now. the other day i was doing a lot of hard driving up and down sidestreets just to be a **** and have a little fun, and even though the intercooler keeps my air temp relatively low, i started hearing my engine detonate a little hear and there, mainly when the air temp was a litter higher than normal (i was using boost quite a bit). The problem with me living here in california is the highest octane available for me to buy is 91 octane. i wish i had the luxory of living east of here and getting 93 octane. I can just buy the octane boost, but a bottle of it only adds 1.5 octane which brings me to 92.5, still below what you bastards get for cheaper than what i pay (yeah im jealous). So I wonder what is causing detonation. the SC, and the maf, tb, intake, and everything my car has on it was professionally installed by people who know what they were doing (so my buddy assures me). this is far from where i live now, but anyways if you guys have any more feedback for me i appreciate it.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:28 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

i just heard it knock for the first time a couple days ago so until i find out whats the problem i obviously am not gonna consider up'ing my boost.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:59 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99CobraVert
thanks for the info guys. actually my car wasnt born a SC, my friend put that on a few months or so ago before i bought it. So I dont know what my compression is, but im guessing its not too low. I have the KB boost a pump and johnson fuel pump i think it is , i dont remember the size of my injectors, he told me but i forget, in the 30's, but im having problems now. the other day i was doing a lot of hard driving up and down sidestreets just to be a **** and have a little fun, and even though the intercooler keeps my air temp relatively low, i started hearing my engine detonate a little hear and there, mainly when the air temp was a litter higher than normal (i was using boost quite a bit). The problem with me living here in california is the highest octane available for me to buy is 91 octane. i wish i had the luxory of living east of here and getting 93 octane. I can just buy the octane boost, but a bottle of it only adds 1.5 octane which brings me to 92.5, still below what you bastards get for cheaper than what i pay (yeah im jealous). So I wonder what is causing detonation. the SC, and the maf, tb, intake, and everything my car has on it was professionally installed by people who know what they were doing (so my buddy assures me). this is far from where i live now, but anyways if you guys have any more feedback for me i appreciate it.
I would assume 9.8:1 compression
36# injectors
the detonation is more than likely caused by the heat. Hotter the air, the higher the risk of detonation. If you were to get a better intercooler, or race gas, or cooler weather, you will be fine. It's because the hotter air charge is closer to it's flash point so the extra heat (from compression) will force the air to detonate before the spark plug. You just need to run higher gasoline, or cool the intake charge
Old 08-24-2005, 09:56 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99CobraVert
I can just buy the octane boost, but a bottle of it only adds 1.5 octane which brings me to 92.5.
OK first off a bottle of octane boost will not give you 1.5 period so lets get that out of the way. Octane 105 is Toluene it takes 1 Gallon of Toluene to raise fuel a little over 1 point. A pint of octane boost will give you .15 at the most you would need 8 of those to make a gallon and bring it up 1 point. So how much would you spend on 8 bottles of octane boost or by 1 gal of Toluene for $10

The choice is yours
Old 08-25-2005, 05:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

false advertising on my bottle then!!! not suprising, it says on the bottle it will raise it 15 points (.1 octane is one point). so 15 times .1 is 1.5. so a consumer such as myself would assume im getting 1.5 octane boost up to 21 gallon tank (as advertised). But i am interested in getting the toluene. where can i buy that stuff? and thanks for the info guys. The warm air combined with my high compression ratio and 91 octane does sound like the recipe for my knock. thanks guys. and by the way the kenne bell intercooler is supposedly a very efficient one i have read.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:48 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

You can get it at Home Depot, lowes or Ace hardware stores. You will usually find it with the paint thinners
Old 08-27-2005, 06:59 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

Water to Air!!! Or maybe you could be the first guy on the board to get that methanol system.

I read about it in MM&FF, apparently you buy a kit and it injects methanol into your intake charge to cool your ****.

I believe they tested it with positive results.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:23 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiljosh
Water to Air!!! Or maybe you could be the first guy on the board to get that methanol system.

I read about it in MM&FF, apparently you buy a kit and it injects methanol into your intake charge to cool your ****.

I believe they tested it with positive results.
he wouldn't be the first

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT