1998 Mustang GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #1

1998 Mustang GT

Hi all Im new here and this is my first post. I have a 1998 Mustang GT Im the original owner and the car has 98,000 miles on it. The car is 100% stock except for a K&N air filter, I've never hot rodded the car, and the car has been extreemly reliable all I've had to do to the car is get it tuned up at 95,000 miles plus the regular maintanance. As I understand it this car has 225 Hp, is it possible to to change a few things on this car so that I can get "a little" more speed out of it? Im not looking for a full blown "soup up" I just want a little better performance out of it, but I still want the car to be as reliable as it is now, I don't want to spend the week-ends wrenching on it, and if I decide to go on a trip with it I still want all the reliability, so is this possible, and if so what would you guys recommend? By the way it's a really pretty Mustang, she's Atlantic blue with a white stripe on the hood that goes down the front fenders, and she has grey interier, and for her being 11 yrs old she's super clean, I took very good care of her. Also I guess I should have mentioned that she has an automatic transmission, and is the coupe. If I decide to do any Modifications I will have a professional do the work as Im not a mechanic.
Thanks Much,
Paul
gundogblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Re: 1998 Mustang GT

Cold air intake and exhaust should probably be the first things to do, maybe even a 75 or 78mm throttle body.....then go have it tuned/programmed
outlawfrog is probably right
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawfrog View Post
I might pull an "osirisguy", and make that my new sig quote!
outlawfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Oh, and since I get a chance to beat everyone to it.....post up some pics when you can! lol
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Vermont

I'd look into a SCT tuner and set of gears 4:10's would work fine.

02 GT 5 spd. Best 1/4 12.28 @ 112mph
67mustang97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:20 PM   #5

Thanks for all the recommendations I really appriciate it. I guess the reason I'd like to do a few mods to her is because the other day I was on I-57, and doing about 75 mph in the left lane, I came up on a small 4 cylinder Dodge SRT, he would'nt move over so that I could pass him, so I went into the right lane to get around him, thats when he floored the SRT, so I floored my Mustang GT, but he actually pulled away from me!!!?? I don't care if its turbo charged it's only a 4 cylinder, and I have a V-8 in my stang!!!??? So I guess when a 4 cylinder is faster than my 8 it's time to do something about it, although what you guys are telling me to do does'nt seem very invasive at all, infact it seems very reasonable. I live near Chicago so there must be a good speedshop near here, Im going to start looking tomorrow, I'll let you guys know how this turns out, and I'll post some pics of my baby asap.
Thanks again,
Paul
gundogblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

Yea, the 96-98 gt's came with the NPI( Non performance improved) heads and were not excatly the best flowing heads. In '99, they introduced the newly revised PI engine with updated heads, cam and intake; boosting the power level to 260. The PI head swap is very common on the 94-98's, become more powerful than the actual PI motor - the compression is bumped up to 10.1 because of different style pistons used in the NPI-PI engines. A tune, PI head swap, and gears would make your car a totally different animal and won't break the bank.

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The only bad thing I see about this....is right now....it DOES break MY bank! lol
But in the grand scheme of things, when I can get a set of PI heads, and manifold, I think I'll be going with a port and polish before I have em put on.
Modular2valve...............I knew they'd make a difference, but you say a PI head swap will actually be more powerful than the PI engine? That's nice to know also. I had decided to just do the heads and mani (as above), or find a PI engine to just drop in. I do think you just saved me some cash.....not to mention trying to explain to the ol' lady why I'd need a newer engine. hahahahahah
Quote:
Old 10-28-2009, 02:18 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Yah the gears and tune will really wake up your car since it's an auto. Add exhaust and maybe some underdrive pulleys followed up by the tune and you should have no problem outrunning a SRT-4 Neon.

The PI head swap is another great mod for the 96-98 cars. I'd definitely look into it as several non PI guys (such as modular2valve) have done it and are happy with the results.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:22 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

You are on the right track with doing good regular upkeep

coolant change every year
transmission fluid change (with filter) every year
oil change as directed (depending on oil you use) with a good filter (ford motorcraft or wix filter are best especially for the money)
and the list goes on

at your miles you may want to check your plugs and COP's and change if needed (will help get the car running like it used to when newer)

For power yup you are at 225hp and you need some help in that department.

I would look into doing exhaust/intake/underdrive pulley/rear end gears (3.73 or 4.10s)/and a good dyno tune. For handling/looks lower it with wheels/tires and what ever else you like.

Then save up and do a 99+ PI head swap. This will raise your power to 285 (not counting your other mods just stock to head swap).
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
1998 mustang