Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Need Help on Interior Paint

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  DDTCM 
#1 ·
Hi guys im new here so Howdy! I just upgraded from a v6 to a v8 last saturday! The car is black and i want to put as much black on the car as possible. Therefor the interior seemed like a reasonable upgrade for the price so thats first. I need to know what kind of paint to buy to paint every single plastic piece in the car and anything else i will need! I am 16 and really know nothing about painting so any tips would be great! I was also thinking about accenting it with a dark red? Let me know what you think

#4 ·
While Dye is the best route, your next option would be spray paint.

Pick up a few cans of Krylon Fusion in your color choice. Take out the trim you want to paint and clean it well with some Simple Green (and make sure it's dry), then wipe it down with some Isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) and let it dry (will take only a minute or two for the alcohol). Then you can go and paint it.

Just follow the directions on the can. When you paint you want to remember to use a sweeping motion and paint in layers. The can doesn't have to be right on top when painting leave some distance. So do a first coat, you'll still see some of the original color but that's okay. Let it dry and give it another coat. Repeat as necessary. If you are too heavy on the paint it will run and drip and come out nasty looking.

The usualy parts people paint on these cars is the plastic on the door that houses the window controls and the trim around the radio (and don't forget to pop out the vents!) all of which is very easy to remove. Some people will go as far as to paint the whole top half of the dash, the pony and "Mustang" on the steering wheel and dash (respectively). If you want you can paint the trim around the gauges and parts of the gauges as well.

#5 ·
never start spraying over a part, always off to the side then go across the part. Little droplets can build up and go flying off when you start spraying and if its over a part... they get on the part.

#7 · (Edited)
Not sure if the Krylon Fusion is their vinyl paint, but I think that's what you want to use. It's formulated for plastics and will give you a better finish than paint formulated for metal or wood. I used some metallic black vinyl paint on the grill of my old '97 Sierra and it looked very good and it didn't fade.

OsirisGuy is correct; Fusion is the paint to use. What can I say? I'm old...

#8 ·
OsirisGuy is correct
And don't you forget it! :D

The paint should hold up for years, especially if done correctly. As for priming I wouldn't worry about it. If you are painting black on black than it will be no big deal. If you are painting a lighter color over a dark color, let's say yellow paint on black trim than I would lean towards picking up a can of primer as well just so the black won't bleed through.

Otherwise the rubbing alcohol will prep the surface for paint. If you want you can also throw a coat or two of clear coat on there. I believe Krylon also makes a UV protectant paint.

#11 ·
I did a touch up on the interior of my 2002 GT. Got the spray paint from LMR and basically followed the steps Osiris outlined. Just be sure to use a lot of light coats and allow plenty of drying time between coats. Mine looks like new stock!
Jim

#12 ·
use t.s.p. tri sodium phosphate
can buy at any hardware store, come in pouch then add water to it this cleans all grease off
then use wax and grease remover to get more grime off
then use adhesion promoter (dupli color) comes in can
then vinyl and fabric primer and paint use lots of light coats, some you can even add clear coats

#13 ·
i got the stuff from duplicolor. think it's called vinyl & fabric paint(?) anyway, works great, & the pieces i painted black look like it came from the factory that way. i still have more to paint, but when i do i'm replacing the carpet, mats etc...just need to be paitent & it'll turn out great. good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.