ALT Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
ALT Question

Ok, it's nothing major yet! But I'm asking you mustang vets to tell me if I'm right or wrong. I'm thinking it's the alt. Anyway, I've got this crazy loud fan (I'm thinking it's an after-market with the radiator....will check into it), but I've noticed on my way home at night, when the fan kicks on, the lights will flicker. This got me to thinking, so I started watching the gauge, when the fan kicks on, the needle will drop. I've noticed I can also make the needle drop when I roll-up the window, and leave the button pressed a little too long, essentially putting the window motor in a bind. I got the car out of Jacksonville, FL, and I've noticed the salt air down there, has kinda taken a toll on the alt casing......not too bad, just white, crusty stuff, that will easily wipe off. Would that have also shortened the life of the alt?
outlawfrog is probably right
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawfrog View Post
I might pull an "osirisguy", and make that my new sig quote!
outlawfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2009, 12:47 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Re: ALT Question

It's possible that the oxidation has affected the alternator, but batteries and alternators come and go. It's normal to see a minor drop on the needle when using anything that requires a large current draw: radiator fan, windows, convertible top, head lights, heavy audio equipment. As long as the needle returns to it's position either immediately or as soon as the current draw is over you should be okay.

I would first check my battery. Right now I too am having some difficulties. It seems that my battery might be shot (bad) or just have a bad cell or have some recharging issues. When the car idles at 800 RPMs my headlights will flicker slightly, some long starts (turnovers) on cold mornings or sitting for a while and the lights dim when I roll up or down windows. In fact at one point when the two windows closed fully simultaneously (as I held down the buttons at the same time) my battery light on the dash would go on.

Basically take that information and see how it corresponds to your situation.

What you can also do is get a multimeter and test the charging voltage on the alternator and the voltage across the battery (both as the car is running, watch the belt!) and make sure that the voltage one the alternator is greater than that on the battery (Va > Vb), the voltage on the Alt. may read anywhere from 13V to 15.8V. ~14V is a good sign for the alternator. The battery's voltage should only be a few volts (~ < 1V) lower than what the alternator shows. If Vb is larger than your alternator is bad and expect yourself needing a jump soon and replacing the Alt.

You should be able to check the condition of the battery by the little window on top. Also make sure that all charging connections have good contact (check this when the car is off).
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:59 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Every Mustang I've owned does that man...try running the conv top and all 4 windows while the headlights are on...you'll really start having issues lol.

I wouldn't worry about it to be honest, like I say, it's just part of it.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2009, 07:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

lol.....ya'll ever seen an "energizer" auto battery? This is the first one I've ever seen.
outlawfrog is probably right
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawfrog View Post
I might pull an "osirisguy", and make that my new sig quote!
outlawfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT