subframe connectors - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-17-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
subframe connectors

i am thinking about getting sub-connectors, installer says i have to get alignment after install, is this true? and do i really need them? will the car be fine without them? i plan on keeping my car forever
2003 gt, sct custom tuned by VMP, k&n fipk, upr o/r x-pipe, dynomax turbo mufflers, mm c/c plates, mm full length subframe connectors, h&r race springs, bullit rims 18x10 rear 18x9 front, 4.10 gears, 20% tint, 9 inch shorty antenna
edross is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: subframe connectors

if your installer says you will need a wheel alignment after your subframes are installed I personally would think about not using them.

There are three scenarios here that could be playing out

1. They simply do not know what they are talking about, what the part actually is and thus should not be installing it.

2. They dont install them right. It takes a drive on lift as you have to keep the car as it sits on the ground to weld them in right. If they just jack it up on a 4 post lift and weld them in then yup... the wheels could be crooked and in need of an alignment... but the frame is now twisted

3. They are ripping you off and trying to get more out of you.

Who ever does it needs to use a drive on lift and then weld them on, thats about it, no alignment needed. You CAN use a 4 post lift but you must be VERY careful to ensure the gaps and everything are just right on the car~ I wouldnt even consider it though.

Go with a full length brand WELD IN ONLY. For daily driving maximum motorsports are really good and are not super expensive. I went with bare steel since you have to sand where you weld down to metal and powdercoat is a pain to sand down. Then I painted them really really good with rust prevention type paint.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:49 AM   #3

As said above....

If use a 2 post lift Car should be put on jack stands so the weight of the car is on the suspension....The sub frames should then be tested fitted then Spot welded into place.Then they can finish it on a 2 post...

Also put full lenghts on..
TriPodRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 05:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

my local muffler shop has a drive on lift but he has never done the work before, is this something they can handle
2003 gt, sct custom tuned by VMP, k&n fipk, upr o/r x-pipe, dynomax turbo mufflers, mm c/c plates, mm full length subframe connectors, h&r race springs, bullit rims 18x10 rear 18x9 front, 4.10 gears, 20% tint, 9 inch shorty antenna
Old 11-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Probably so. Any half-*** decent muffler shop should be fairly capable with a welder! If you or he have any doubts, just go over the directions together. They're pretty simple. Back in the mid-90's, I ran a local welding shop, and put a set on an old fox body for a customer. Of course, WE had NO lift, so I just had to "suck it in" and back-crawl under the car. I doubt the basics of the subs have changed over time.
outlawfrog is probably right
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawfrog View Post
I might pull an "osirisguy", and make that my new sig quote!
outlawfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:25 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

i am going to get maximum motorsports full legnth connectors from american muscle for $139, what is a good price for weld in install?
Old 11-18-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

you drive up on the lift so the weight is on the suspension, they take the subframes and contour them to fit snug to your frame. They clean up the areas where the welds will be (its not a full weld front to back~ no need to weld that much just say 4/12's (4 inches per every 12 inches) something like that. The middle section cant be welded as it is lower than the floor pan for example) you can look at images and such to see where it was welded.

Once the metal where the welds will be done are cleaned up (with a grinder for example) then you can weld. Its important to go SLOW and tack weld it in and slowly fill in the seem as the floor can get to hot and catch the carpet inside the car on fire. Basically take your TIME alternate front/back after its tach welded in of course.

If you can find a good shop that specializes in this it would be better and more peace of mind but most any shop can do it.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:53 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

so whats a fair price for install
Old 11-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

I think I paid around 100 to have mine installed
Old 11-20-2009, 04:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
I think I paid around 100 to have mine installed
call me expensive but tehre aint no way id do it for 100.
despite what anyone says, you CAN do it on a normal rack. you just have to load the suspension as if it were on a driveon rack. thats what ive done in the past when the drive-on racks were taken with no problems
iamdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #11
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdat View Post
call me expensive but tehre aint no way id do it for 100.
despite what anyone says, you CAN do it on a normal rack. you just have to load the suspension as if it were on a driveon rack. thats what ive done in the past when the drive-on racks were taken with no problems
That's the key, keeping the suspension loaded.

Cheapest I've heard around here was an off the record buddy price of $250 for install.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:56 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

muffler shop said if i do the prep work he will weld them-in for $60 is that a good deal?
Old 11-22-2009, 07:51 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

yup
outlawfrog is probably right
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawfrog View Post
I might pull an "osirisguy", and make that my new sig quote!
outlawfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

well I took mine to a very knowledgeable mustang shop and they charged about 100-150 (i guess 100 was a low estimate) but I could see it costing as much as 200.

You are correct, you do not need a drive on lift.. but its the BEST way to do it, there are always other ways.. but I generally try to do things the best way if I have a choice that is. With that said, I would rather let someone that knew what they were doing do it on a post lift vs a drive on of course.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:25 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

prepping it to weld is the most time consuming part byfar. usually takes me a couple hours (roughly) start to finish.
iamdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:14 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

well i better do my homework so i know what i am getting into

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT