Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Got money to spend!

3K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  StangGt804 
#1 ·
I got 886 to spend, what do you guys think i should buy? Im thinking of a bassani x and the desencharger. Then save the rest! Any comments/inputs? No gears or NOS for me by the way! thanks :D

#2 ·
Let's see, I could use a new intercooler, port work on my SC, MRT H pipe, springs and bushings...oh wait, you want to spend that money on your car?

Well, in that case, looking at your current mods, I would say go with the X Pipe and CAI. That should pretty much take care of everything you have. If you don't go that route, I would say get some good spings to get that car sitting right and then get some good subframe connectors to get the car solid so the body doesn't twist in the future.

I say go with X Pipe, Springs, and SFCs if you can find about another $100 depending on the price of springs these days. Shop around and see what kind of deals you can get on things though. Also, let me know if you are going to go with the X pipe, I might know somewhere you can get a better price than what is listed on the internet...unless one of our sponsors also has a better price on it. Either way, ping me before you get an X pipe.

#5 ·
why no gears? best bang for the buck mod available!

#7 ·
Ok all you turbo folks, here is a question for you. If he decides to put a turbo on the car, won't that make his CAI kit null and void? Will the intake piping be re-routed and everything pretty much change? Not a turbo guy myself, but he and I have been discussing what to do with his car, and thought I would check in with y'all experts.

Thanks.

#10 · (Edited)
Smurfin said:
Ok all you turbo folks, here is a question for you. If he decides to put a turbo on the car, won't that make his CAI kit null and void? Will the intake piping be re-routed and everything pretty much change? Not a turbo guy myself, but he and I have been discussing what to do with his car, and thought I would check in with y'all experts.

Thanks.
itll make alot of things null and void.

basically the whole intake piping will have to be custom made(unless theres a kit for it he buys), placing the maf somewhere(either blo through after the turbo, or suck through before the turbo), hell need a intake tube to go from the filter to the turbo inlet(unless he runs blo-thru, then he can just slap a filter right on the turbo inlet). if he has headers those get to go. the exhaust will have to be custom fabbed, mounting of wastegates and return pipe, not to mention oil feed lines and returns, coolant lines and returns if applicable, boost control, injectors and fuel pump, oh yeah, and lots of dyno time.

id say those going turbo should do it right from the start. bolt the suckers on and get the whole system running, and just run very low boost(like lowest the wg will allow). IMO unless you own a shop and know exactly what you are doing, the best route would be a 2.2 or 2.8 KB or such. from what ive seen, a turbo stang is not the most streetable car to drive around.

IMO id get the x pipe and intake taken care of. get some flow in and out of the motor and it will liven it up a bit. dont expect much though. then start saving for a tuner(diablo, xcal2) if you dont have one already. then id say gears, get 3.73's if youre worried about a power adder later down. otherwise id go straight to 4.1's like i am doing.

#11 ·
EclipseGSTdude said:
itll make alot of things null and void.

basically the whole intake piping will have to be custom made(unless theres a kit for it he buys), placing the maf somewhere(either blo through after the turbo, or suck through before the turbo), hell need a intake tube to go from the filter to the turbo inlet(unless he runs blo-thru, then he can just slap a filter right on the turbo inlet). if he has headers those get to go. the exhaust will have to be custom fabbed, mounting of wastegates and return pipe, not to mention oil feed lines and returns, coolant lines and returns if applicable, boost control, injectors and fuel pump, oh yeah, and lots of dyno time.

id say those going turbo should do it right from the start. bolt the suckers on and get the whole system running, and just run very low boost(like lowest the wg will allow). IMO unless you own a shop and know exactly what you are doing, the best route would be a 2.2 or 2.8 KB or such. from what ive seen, a turbo stang is not the most streetable car to drive around.

IMO id get the x pipe and intake taken care of. get some flow in and out of the motor and it will liven it up a bit. dont expect much though. then start saving for a tuner(diablo, xcal2) if you dont have one already. then id say gears, get 3.73's if youre worried about a power adder later down. otherwise id go straight to 4.1's like i am doing.
Well thanks for the info! I might just buy the x pipe, save the rest and go turbo. Then run at low boost for a while, then get forged internals then im set! Sound good guys! I wanted to go forged internals then turbo but it seems going turbo, you have to change up alot of stuff around, so looks like ill be going turbo a little earlier than planned!! :D

#13 ·
good luck with a turbo 4.6

make sure you get it tuned by a reputable tuner. of the 3 new edge GT's with a turbo that I know of, 2 of them blew their motors. The thing I like about a supercharger is that it's much easier to tune.

But if you get a good turbo setup then I definitely say it will be a sweet car.

I'd wait on any sort of midpipe if your planning to go with a turbo. the kit may require a custom pipe there. definitely don't do headers and don't do any sort of CAI.

#15 · (Edited)
Turbo seems like its ALOT of time/too much hassle! WTF? haha Seems like i am dropping more mods than i want to add! If i decided s/c, like a kenne belle or vortech or procharger would i still have to drop the bassani x, cai, and gears? I just wanted to do something different, but i dunno now!

Well im looking at the vortech s/c's and they seem real nice! Looks like you can just slap it on a stock engine and your FINE! I would like to get the kit with the aftercooler but is it hard to relocate the battery in 03 mustangs? Is my only worry?

#16 ·
StangGt804 said:
Turbo seems like its ALOT of time/too much hassle! WTF? haha Seems like i am dropping more mods than i want to add! If i decided s/c, like a kenne belle or vortech or procharger would i still have to drop the bassani x, cai, and gears? I just wanted to do something different, but i dunno now!

Well im looking at the vortech s/c's and they seem real nice! Looks like you can just slap it on a stock engine and your FINE! I would like to get the kit with the aftercooler but is it hard to relocate the battery in 03 mustangs? Is my only worry?
you can slap one on, thats the pro of a supercharger kit. everything needed comes with it. well, mostly. you still should get a good tune before going balls to the wall with it.

turbo's are very hard to do. if youre just wanting to do them to be different, dont. you wanna be different, supercharge it. seriously, the percentage of stangs with more than flomasters and intake are prolly very low. you could prolly sc it and have one of the fastest stangs in town(unless you live in texas). hell the fastest stang in our town is a 03/04 cobra with a pulley.

even with my dsm, going from one turbo to another required quite a few "custom" parts to be purchased, namely oil return lines, feed lines and piping. and that was just my little 16g. my buddy thought he could slap on a 60 trim, a month later the car still doesnt run(needed non turbo water pipe to clear the comp housing, needed slim radiator to make room for the external wastegate and manifold, we needed to weld up new piping kit).

honestly, while i like turbo and miss them, i wouldnt fathom turboing a 4.6. a 5.0 fox maybe, but definately i wouldnt even think about doing a 4six.

#18 ·
yes, keep it.

and relocating the battery isnt too difficult. i think all you need is alot of 4ga wire, put the battery in the trunk and mount it. connect the wire to the + stuff and run it back to the battery, and then connect the - stuff and run that wire also back to the battery. ive never done it, but i think thats what i would do if i had to.

#19 ·
i don't think you will be able to go above 10, if even 10, for very long on the stock internals. whipster24 would know becuase he has the vortech s/c, so you could ask him some things prolly. i was going to get a vortech or novi, but i just think its not worth it. i'm saving and getting a 03 cobra, can slap a 2.2L kennebell blowzilla on the cobra and the cobra's internals will last forever, matters what psi your at. with the new '07 shebly gt500 cobra coming out, theres going to be good deals on a lot of 03/04 cobras becuase most of them will get rid the terminator for the gt500. so, im just waiting and getting a cobra, high hp reliable internals, s/c already, svt name, t-56 tranny, 4-valve, perfect package..thats what im doing.

#20 ·
douGT said:
i don't think you will be able to go above 10, if even 10, for very long on the stock internals. whipster24 would know becuase he has the vortech s/c, so you could ask him some things prolly. i was going to get a vortech or novi, but i just think its not worth it. i'm saving and getting a 03 cobra, can slap a 2.2L kennebell blowzilla on the cobra and the cobra's internals will last forever, matters what psi your at. with the new '07 shebly gt500 cobra coming out, theres going to be good deals on a lot of 03/04 cobras becuase most of them will get rid the terminator for the gt500. so, im just waiting and getting a cobra, high hp reliable internals, s/c already, svt name, t-56 tranny, 4-valve, perfect package..thats what im doing.
Well that seems nice and all but ill be having my gt for a WHILE, so im in no hurry to get rid of her, Ill be keeping my car for at least 6-8 years! So i plan on putting internals and building the motor to hold what power i throw at it. So no worries!! And thats the "fun" factor in modding a gt, making it a beast! To take on cobras!! :rolleyes: Good luck with the future cobra purchase! Give me the seats! haha

#21 ·
remember the shut off switch if you relocate your battery to the trunk. You will need this to pass tech inspections at the 1/4 mile track.

#23 ·
StangGt804 said:
Well that seems nice and all but ill be having my gt for a WHILE, so im in no hurry to get rid of her, Ill be keeping my car for at least 6-8 years! So i plan on putting internals and building the motor to hold what power i throw at it. So no worries!! And thats the "fun" factor in modding a gt, making it a beast! To take on cobras!! :rolleyes: Good luck with the future cobra purchase! Give me the seats! haha
NO WAY, the suede feels nice on the bussum. if i get some race seats or something, i'll look your way:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.