Car Care, Maintenance and Upkeep - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Car Care, Maintenance and Upkeep

So here's a question for my fellow M.E.-ers,

What are some good car care products, I'm looking for everything to get the car clean and looking like new. This is car wash, waxes, polish, chamois and towels and sponges, etc... And we can't forget the interior; carpet care, glass care, dash care, etc...

Here is my main concern however: The interior leather. It's not ripped yet, but it seems to be starting to wrinkle you could say. Seats feel in pretty good condition but just some signs of wear in the usual areas. So I am looking for some good cleaner, rejuvenate-or, and protectant and anything else that will make the seats seem spotless.

I'm planning for Christmas on asking for a "care package" for my car.

Also for the winter I was thinking about switching to Motorcraft motor oil. I put Mobile 1 in last time but right now I have to think with my head and not my heart. I know deep down it doesn't really matter what brand oil but I'd like opinions anyway.

Thanks all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Re: Car Care, Maintenance and Upkeep

The best shammy i've used is from car brite but that was when i worked at a car dealership and they don't have a retail store. For mine I use the absorber brand from wal mart and i have no complaints. When it comes to tires nothing beats napa's white wall cleaner. Exterior soap i've been using rain-x. I also used cherry scented dirt buster from napa (yes you can actually smell it). I also use the cherry for the carpet. For the dash and other plastics I use meguires interior mist and wipe (wear eye protection that **** will sting all ****in day) then i use armor all to give it a nice finish. The best tar remover is super blue from napa. It also takes off glue if you just removed your tent on your windows. Now wax i think is like oil the big name brands are all good. Last time I used meguires tech wax and it was good. But i used ice on my moms car and it has lasted twice as long. Some people buy a **** ton of products for thier rims. I just use soap and water and mine look just as good. For my mit I just picked up one from wal mart but if you can get one from car brite. If some way you get a hold of car brite GET THIER BUG REMOVER SPONGE and clean all this make removing bugs the easiest part of cleaning. Lastly for glass I either forget or use windex.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Upton pretty much covered everything

I just want to add a couple things:

Nevr Dull (actual spelling) is amazing on chrome and your exhaust tips. It also works really good in the engine bay...I've used it to shine up the CAI, hoses, caps, etc.

Be careful of some wheel cleaners/solvents. I used an amor all tire shine and it caused some sort of peeling on my rear 10.5" rim. I'd use a tire sponge to apply the product, not the wide ranged nozzles. Also, use armor all or a decent interior polish on the black part of the mirrors, the cowl, and the exterior trim...it helps prevent cracking and fading.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 12:31 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Lately I've been using Turtle Wax soap. I got a bottle of Meguirs paint polish (forget the exact name) but I don't know how old the bottle was, I probably could have mixed it up more. I was thinking about Meguir's three step kit.

For tires I currently use Tire Shine (I think) which is nice since I can give the tires a matte look or that shine. For my painted rims and metal I use regular old metal polish (Brasso IIRC).

I will not use Armor All since I believe that stuff is more harmful (dries out leather and dash, horrible residue left).

For the leather I was thinking something like Zymol or whatever it is. There were some other brands I can't think of off the top of my head.

I'd like to hear some other opinions (and hopefully get a thread discussion going). Also to hear from Spector or PV, I always forget which one takes better care of their car than a new born baby, although both probably to the highest of industry standards
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 12-03-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

once a year (if a daily driver) I wash with dawn, clay bar, compound (buff if needed), then wash again and wax/etc
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

What brands do you use?
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 12-03-2009, 02:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post

Nevr Dull (actual spelling) is amazing on chrome and your exhaust tips. It also works really good in the engine bay...I've used it to shine up the CAI, hoses, caps, etc.

Be careful of some wheel cleaners/solvents. I used an amor all tire shine and it caused some sort of peeling on my rear 10.5" rim. I'd use a tire sponge to apply the product, not the wide ranged nozzles. Also, use armor all or a decent interior polish on the black part of the mirrors, the cowl, and the exterior trim...it helps prevent cracking and fading.
Nevr Dull is the ****! It's in a tin can, and made by eagle one. I use it on all of my chrome.
I just use armor-all wipes on the interior trim, and mcguires leather wipes on the seats, but I need to find something else to get em in shape. They are VERY dry, and I sure as hell don't want em to start cracking or ripping. I've got a wear hole in the drivers seat side (butt rub from getting in and out).....and the back seats have never even been sat in...lol.
For tires, mirror, cowl, and underhood plastics, I use the bottle of armor-all tire gel, but when it's gone, I'll be using the "cover all" in the aerosol can.
As for wash, I just use whatever....they are mostly the same anyway! Look at em all.......half of em are ALL in THIS SAME SHAPE bottle.....and the other half are all in that shape bottle. If you don't believe me....pay attention to em next time you go to the parts house....hell, even check the line codes on em.....the matching ones all come from the same distributor, etc.
I've never been much of a waxer.....but I did my GT a few weeks ago, and will keep waxing it. At the time, all I have is a spray bottle of Mcquires quick detail that I use on my CBR. Been thinking about getting a clay bar, and then do a good waxing.
outlawfrog is probably right
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawfrog View Post
I might pull an "osirisguy", and make that my new sig quote!
outlawfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I use Ice polish on the exterior, the Ice interior product and, you guessed it, Ice car wash. The polish and car wash do a great job, and the interior Ice is more of a gel than a liquid like Armor All. Cleans & protects well but doesn't leave a real shiny finish like Armor All. For my tires, I use Armor All Extreme Tire Shine Gel. It's great and shines the tires really well, and doesn't sling off like most liquid tire shine products do. For my leather, I use Maguires Gold Class wipes. For my chrome wheels, I just use soap and water when I wash the car. Under the hood, I use Armor All on the hoses and plastic pieces. Lastly, for the glass, I either use Stoner's Invisible Glass (great product!) or the tried and true vinegar and newspaper. All of these products are available at Wal-Mart.
MetallicMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Zainostore.com is where I get my stuff from.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:12 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

I too use Ice products on my Cobra. I think it works better and last longer than others.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

absorber from walmart 12$
white diamond polish for aluminum buy on internet only
no armorall on inside, makes it greasy
use funiture polish like pledge on dash and doors
windex on windows not the cheap stuff
leather shampoo for seats
wash mit for paint body
bug sponge for bumper and or wheels and tires
dawn works good for greese
use mobil 1 full sythetic oil its worth extra money, use wix filter, sold at napa or carquest
occhopperman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

absorbers are GREAT if you wash your car with water, using towels SUCK and takes forever.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Not to mention any little hard piece that adheres to the towel will scratch the hell out of your paint when drying the car off.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 12-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

See I've had the opposite experience, absorbers do **** for me and $1 1'x2" wash cloths work nicely on the paint. I'll probably ask for some Meguiar stuff - absorbers and mitts, 3 step clean possible.

Someone else suggested an electric leaf blower to dry the car.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 12-08-2009, 08:12 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

the "100% cotton" towels you buy genreally are not 100% cotton (the edges etc) so if you buy REAL good quality towels it makes a big difference.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I try to check for the stitching and the softness before hand. Actually the $1 ones I got were for my Chem labs (they've been thoroughly cleaned) and I'll usually use them on rim polish or where I'll need to get a rag dirty.

I do want to get some good towels, I'm thinking waffle stitched microfiber? because when it comes down to it I shouldn't be using them.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 12-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

I also down grade my towels from paint to rims to "eww"
Old 12-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

leafblower huh? hmmm
the water around here has so damned much chlorine, that my car is spotted all to hell, especially the windows.
outlawfrog is probably right
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawfrog View Post
I might pull an "osirisguy", and make that my new sig quote!
outlawfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Quote:

neverdull is the best there is. i've used armor all, mothers, and i honestly think they dont come close to nevre dull. just my opinion though.
-2003 White Mustang GT 4.6L Auto- Slp Long Tube Headers, SLP X-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Mufflers, K&N FIPK Intake, BBK HFA Fuel Rails, Venom 24lb Injectors, SCT Chip/Tune, Shift Kit, 3.73 FRPP Gears, Custom Two-Tone Black&White Leather Interior.
nyalsdgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:54 AM   #20
A.K.A. Baby-D!

speaking of cleaning.. i too like outlawfrog have wayyy to many spots on my car.. from the chlorine in our water. whats the best way to remove these [if possible]? a good waxing still don't remove all of them, and my windows are especially bad. keep in mind, i DO dry off my car with an absorber after each wash. our water is just horrible =(
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

^^ I dont use tap water you can fashion a home made filter that hooks right up to your hose to filter out the minerals so you dont get water spots when you wash it... quite cheap. Thats what I would do if I used water, tap water washing your car SUCKS.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:29 PM   #22
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

I use topoftheline.com.
Hightemp products: "bahama momma" wax, swril remover Light or medium cut, all purpose cleaner, wheel cleaner.
Meguiars- gold class wash, clay bar.
Lthr-lexol cleaner then conditioner.
The best glass cleaner is Sprayway. It's amazing
Neverdull is really good too.
Forever black- black trim re-dye.
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:08 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I got some nice products for Christmas and I can't wait to try them out. Just waiting for this crappy cold weather to disappear.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 02-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
^^you can fashion a home made filter that hooks right up to your hose .
Can you tell how?
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by upton7 View Post
Can you tell how?
Jumbo coffee filter, without the grounds!

Old 02-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #26
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upton7 View Post
Can you tell how?
+1
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #27
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Car Care, Maintenance and Upkeep

Quote:
Jumbo coffee filter, without the grounds!
That works if you don't use a nozzle. How do you put a nozzle over it? They don't let us us the hose w/o one around here. My neighbors look at me like I'm commiting a crime when I wash my car.
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT