HVAC Fan Settings - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
HVAC Fan Settings

Now that winters here this issue seems a bit more bothersome to me,

The fan for the HVAC only seems to turn on when the setting is on high and the fan comes on at that speed, but the three lower speeds I don't hear much and there doesn't seem to be too much air flow. Anyone run across this problem? In all honesty I haven't searched yet but I'm a lazy American and I want immediate answers and things handed to me. The summer wasn't bad since I have my windows rolled down but now it's December and I need heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: HVAC Fan Settings

Sounds like a bad switch, or the windings in the fan motor are burnt and only operate at one speed.
MetallicMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

LOL thanks to the reply but I was able to find out, it turned out to be the blower motor resistor. I stopped at advance auto today but they only had it at another store such I didn't feel like traveling too. So I went to a Ford dealer for it and it cost me $30! I need to go back and show them Tousley's price.

For the fix itself it was nothing. Right under the glove box a clip and two 7mm bolts and it came right out. When compared parts the old one actually seemed to have rusted and deteriorated.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Good deal. I wasn't too far off. Glad ya got it fixed, but $30 for a resistor? Oh well, whatcha gonna do?
Old 12-11-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ugh! I didn't vent here, but long story short the parts manager really ****ed me over. Since I didn't have the exact part number I couldn't get an exact price but I did find a part number for a similar piece.

I had two places that had much cheaper prices (both places had the same price with each other) even for MSRP. This guy gave me every excuse why not to give me a partial refund. Every time he made up an excuse I had a correction for him and each time I had a correction for him he walked to the computer "looked" something up and came back with a new excuse. I think he realized I wasn't some punk kid off the streets and I knew even a little bit about the car.

What really got me was that he told me how Ford has a standard price for their parts the dealers have to sell at so even if "he could", he couldn't sell it at the other price.

I look at him, "You mean the MSRP? The recommended retail price?" He nods, I continue speaking "Well even the MSRP price for the correct part was lower than the cost I paid for it". "Oh well you see we have a big warehouse and constantly stock on parts that are usually harder to get rid of so we have to sell at a bit of a premium... blah blah blah..." By the look on his face, and the face I was making I think he could tell that I mentally checked out and just stopped listening to what he had to say. All this because he knew that I knew that he was bull****ting. Mind you this is after he told me that the online store is probably cheaper because they have the part in stock where most other places don't. In case you missed that: Online is cheaper because those dealers have the part in stock, but the dealer I was at was more expensive because they had the part in stock :

He just left it as "We don't price match" even though I've heard otherwise.

Just so everyone knows the Dealer was:
Hasset Ford
3530 Sunrise Highway
Wantagh, NY 11793

I've mentioned my experience to the local Mustang club, where I hope it has reached some ears, and hopefully even more as time progresses and deter any future customers they may have.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 12-12-2009, 08:04 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'll boil it down for you Osiris, because my Dad used to be a service manager for several Ford dealerships: anything you buy from the dealership parts counter is marked up 100%. That's not a typo; it's marked up 100%. Dealerships make their money on parts and labor, not on selling new/used cars.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:51 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Oh I totally expected to see mark up. While I never worked at a dealership I would do a lot of audio and aftermarket auto installs and the mark up on that is just the same. I know there is mark up, whether it be 5% to 200%.

My problem was that since I didn't know the correct price for my car, I just took it as they gave me and that way I had the part number they used (referenced) get a better price on it (since they shot down the other part numbers I gave him). When I showed him that other dealerships were not as expensive and that I knew he was overcharging me for the part he just told me "We don't price match"

Now just a few weeks ago I brought in the same Ford Dealer's price to another local dealer, and when I asked if he could help me out and match their price, he looked at it and said "Okay"; not even a struggle on the subject. The mark up wasn't as much on this accessory however, but he still did better than MSRP and got even close to the "employee price". The only reason I probably paid more than "employee price" is because there was a shipping estimate on the sheet as well so he included that (rightfully so).

I know Dealers make a lot on service, $150 just to pull the car into the bay, regardless if the car's VIN is looked over. The dealers have set pays for their workers so the more work they get, the better off they are. It's also why America is becoming such a huge service sector for jobs - it's more profitable for companies.

What it comes down to is you can't bull**** a bull****ter and this dude was a ****ing cattle ranch. Hell even if he just said "No we're keeping your money, **** off" I at least wouldn't be pissed that I over payed and was lied to.

I'm going to need a new fuel filler pipe and I'll travel to the Ford Dealer in Rockville Center (20 mins) to buy it. Hell I'll even travel an hour out east to the Ford Truck Dealer if it means I'm not treated like some sucker [mind you I'm a 22 years old but I do look much younger].
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 12-13-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I hear what you're saying. Just so you know, I wasn't criticizing you when I said "$30.00 for a resistor"; I was thinking out loud that that was way over-priced. Try searching online for the fuel filler tube; you'll probably do better than at the dealer. Call the dealer, get a part number, and then try Autopartswarehouse.com or a similar site that sells OEM & performance parts. BTW, I wouldn't have guessed that you were only 22.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:24 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallicMist View Post
I hear what you're saying. Just so you know, I wasn't criticizing you when I said "$30.00 for a resistor"; I was thinking out loud that that was way over-priced. Try searching online for the fuel filler tube; you'll probably do better than at the dealer. Call the dealer, get a part number, and then try Autopartswarehouse.com or a similar site that sells OEM & performance parts. BTW, I wouldn't have guessed that you were only 22.
Most of the regulars on this site are alot younger than you would think. I'm 24 and the majority of the regulars are around the same age.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Most of the regulars on this site are alot younger than you would think. I'm 24 and the majority of the regulars are around the same age.
Well that really does a lot for my geriatric old ***! You're all a bunch of young'uns, for cryin' out loud! LOL. That being said, this is one of the better sites that I've been a member of. I think I'll stick around for awhile...if you young punks will allow me, that is. Old guys RULE!!!
Old 12-13-2009, 07:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

^

Well you got to see it this way, you got the experience on us so maybe you can teach some of us whipper snappers something

Thankfully I have the part number for the fuel filler pipe and I've already priced it out so I know how much I want to pay (or should pay). Like you said the part is marked up nearly 100%
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 12-14-2009, 12:28 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallicMist View Post
Well that really does a lot for my geriatric old ***! You're all a bunch of young'uns, for cryin' out loud! LOL. That being said, this is one of the better sites that I've been a member of. I think I'll stick around for awhile...if you young punks will allow me, that is. Old guys RULE!!!
Hahaha 'old' guys definitely know how to have fun when it comes down to it!

'Old' car guys are even more fun, I've learned a LOT meeting at the track/car clubs/the shop I worked at/etc... ]

I hope I have as much fun, or more fun, as I get older - and I don't see myself ever getting out of the automotive industry..

As far as pricing goes, that dealer sounds rediculous.. Like a local chevy dealer..

Went into the local dealer to buy a new injector o-ring kit for the buick, as I had the fuel rail off, I'm most comfortable replacing them rather than reusing them (pretty well proven they are one of the more frequent causes of the W-Body fires)

I happened to have the receipt from the last time I purchased these, back in NJ - $17 and some change... This dealer gave me great prices on everything else I was picking up.. When it came to the orings... They wanted $71 and change.. I showed him my receipt from barely more than a year ago (NJ dealer, I'm in CA now)... He wouldn't budge on price.. ended up getting the kit online for $9 shipped - Never going back to that dealer for anything

Either a typo or price gouging - way overpriced for 14 o-rings, that's for sure
Old 12-14-2009, 08:40 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

there is a controller for power from the unit to the fan, if this goes bad you may not have but X speeds, this may be the issue.

Anything you plan to order from ford to to tousleyfordparts.com they have the BEST price generally on all ford stuff.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

If I know something and can help you folks out, I'll do it. Conversely, I'm not afraid to learn from anyone, even if they are less than half my age. The car bug never really goes away, believe me!
Old 12-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to sledgehammer

if yall dont mind, i had a related question. my fan speed works but the selector of where the air comes doesnt work. know why? i already replaced the switch. for ex, if a put it on face and feet it comes out through defrest. and same with all other settings. its like stuck on defrost. any ideas? thanks
Old 12-15-2009, 12:30 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Spector but it turned out to be just the resistor, my fan speeds work like they should now.

I was thinking about ordering from Tousley but everyone I talked to said the part was only a few dollars or so, I figured I'd waste more on the shipping from anywhere online than just picking it up. I even tried Advance Auto but they didn't have it.

I learned my lesson. Next time I need an OEM Ford part, e.g., my fuel filler pipe I'm going to Tousley.

Sledge - I'd check the connections behind the HVAC. It could also be the switch but if it stays on one setting then something is not telling the control unit (or whatever it is) to change which vents to come out of. IIRC there are no cables and it's all electronic.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 12-15-2009, 05:35 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to sledgehammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy View Post
Sledge - I'd check the connections behind the HVAC. It could also be the switch but if it stays on one setting then something is not telling the control unit (or whatever it is) to change which vents to come out of. IIRC there are no cables and it's all electronic.
Yeah I'm clueless
Old 12-15-2009, 07:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Are the linkage cables still attached to all of the vent doors? Could be that the actuator is working but the linkage is broken. Just something to check.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Hm...

Are you hearing a "clicking" or "clank" sound when you change the vent? Usually if you go from the defroster to vents real quick you can hear the air flow suddenly change.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT