head gasket replacement on 04 GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-01-2009, 02:53 PM   #1

head gasket replacement on 04 GT

I have an 04 Gt with 61k on it and I have been told it has a blown head gasket. It was missfiring and made a ticking sound that sounded like it was coming from inside of the intake manifold. I took it to a shop and they found it had 40 psi of compression on 1 and 2 said it was a blown head gasket where the cylinders meet because i had no smoke or oil in coolent or coolent in oil. I also noticed there are grooves on all of the cam bearing journals on the passenger side and I always use royle purple every 3k. what would cause this and if anyone thinks it could be something else please let me know.I bought it used with 36k on it and was never that hard on it. If it is the head gasket what are the steps to changing it? I got a haynes manual and they said you have to take the transmission out to take off the oil pan so you can get the front cover off is this really the only way?
mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Re: head gasket replacement on 04 GT

Well you have to take off the timing cover. And you don't have to take off the oil pan the bottom screws for the timing cover either go through the pan or are in front of it. You have to take off everthing that attaches or goes through the timing cover. then remove the timing chains tensioners (BE CAREFUL) then the chains then remove the valve cover then take out the head bolts replace the head gasket then BUY NEW head bolts. Then put everything back together. While your at it take off both heads and get a port and polish.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Vermont

Unless your comfortable doing major repairs I wouldn't advise this one. The timing has to be perfect!

02 GT 5 spd. Best 1/4 12.28 @ 112mph
67mustang97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #4

so i got a chance to take a look at it today and the oil pan definitely has to come off. I think this one is to involved for me. Does anyone know how much a repair like this should cost? I have only asked one shop so far and they estimated around 2k! Seems a little steep to me.
mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

I have done the work, and it isn't that bad. It looks fierce but when you are actually into it, it's pretty simple. The tranny stays in place, the oil pan does not come out of the car when you are pulling the heads. Actually, the Haynes manual is pretty dead on about it.

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

I took off my timing cover and i never touched the oil pan.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

as said earlier, you dont have to remove the oil pan to service the head ( )
one thing left out from the previous post is you have to have a special tool to hold the tiing chain tensioner in place while resetting timing. you also have to put the engine at 1 tdc on compression stroke. the make a special cam holding toold and crank holding tool but its no big deal to do this job without it. pretty striaghtforwards job. the valve covers are a somewhat PITA to get off. other than that, its a breeze
iamdat is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT