Mustang Evolution Forum banner

My 99 won't start!!

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  MetallicMist 
#1 · (Edited)
So, I had a 99 for a about 6 months before a woman hit me and caused a four car accident. The car was totaled but I kept it anyways. I went out and bought another 99 a few days ago. The mustang was super cheap because it only drove backwards. Once it warmed up it only went about 10 mph but it would go forward. We figured it was the transmission and bought it anyways. We took the good transmission out of my totaled mustang and put it in the new one. The only difference between the two mustangs were that one had Trac Control and ABS the other did not. Now it goes forward and backward. Good? No. Because now it does not start. We have to bypass the ignition by jumping the starter. Then it will start fine. Before messing with the tranny it always started fine. It has an alarm on it with a remote starter. Before replacing the transmission: The Remote Starter would attempt to start the car, then cut off and the alarm would only set sometimes. Now, all the car does it set off the alarm. And get this! The car thinks it's started! The lights come on and it beeps for the seat belt, but it's not on. Also, the theft light blinks constantly, even when started. But, I don't think this is a problem because my previous mustang did the same thing except it always started. Anyways, the ignition wasn't bad before, so I doubt it is now. The check engine light is on. We've already tried unhooking the battery to reset it. It didn't work, and we've checked for blown fuses. Please help, I need a car!

Also I forgot to say, by not starting I mean it does NOTHING. it doesn't turn over it doesn't click. it does nothing but turn lights on!

See less See more
#2 ·
Ohkay, a quick update. We unhooked the alarm box completely and set it on the seat. The remote still unlocks and locks the doors. Also, the alarm still goes off, and it still tries to start itself with the remote. We've searched the car and can't find any other alarm box. Is this even possible? lol.

#3 ·
Try finding the main power wire to the alarm and disconnecting it as it will shut everything down and try to start ut. The only other thing I could think is that check all the wires from the starter to the battery. You have a main power wire and a smaller wire on the starter, make sure it gets a good connection.

#4 ·
you double check all connections after putting in the new transmission? I cant think of anything that would keep it from cranking ~ does it try to crank and die or just wont even turn over?

#6 ·
Check the safety lockout switch on the shifter; if the tranny isn't in park, the car won't turn over. When you swapped trannies, did you wire up the safety switch? Did you use your original shifter or the one from the "new" car? Check to make sure that switch is in place, and that you connected the wiring to it. You may just need to readjust the switch to make sure it's properly making and breaking contact.

#9 ·
I don't feel so bad anymore about not knowing what the problem is with my car. We took it to the shop Sunday. The kept it all of Monday and most of today and couldn't find anything that could be causing a problem. Today they said they fixed it. When we went to pay for it, it wouldn't start again. So it looks like they're going to have it for another day.

#11 ·
They fixed it. The first time, the wire was shorting out to the transmission range sensor. The second time, a pin came lose so it wouldn't stay in park. Its fine now, I hope. It's back with me now and my brothers are outside swapping all the interior, I'm not a fan of tan. lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.