Replacing Stock Grille With Billet Grille - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #1

Region: North Carolina
Replacing Stock Grille With Billet Grille

Hey Yall -

Got a Black Billet Upper Grille for my Mustang today for Christmas. I went into this project thinking its going to be an easy un-screw this and that and your done.... Well, was I ever wrong.

I am at the point where I need to take off the front bumper cover (Which I am reluctant to do), problem is I cant seem to loosen any of the screws holding it in place. Are they any suggestions on how to loosen these screws easily?

I have tried everything to get these screws off. If your unsure of which ones I am talking about, they are the ones on the top of the bumper near the grille. There are two of them. For the life of me I cannot get them to come out.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Holidays.

EDIT - Dang, posted this in the wrong section. Ment to post in the V6 section, my apologies.
hockeyfan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Re: Replacing Stock Grille With Billet Grille

Did you not pull the radiator cover and go through there?
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 01:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Did you not pull the radiator cover and go through there?
Yea, we removed the engine shroud and then the top screws on the grille. We got stuck there when it said to remove the four screws on the bottom of the grille and we couldn't figure out how to access said screws. I visited American Muscle, where I purchased the grille from, and under the reviews someone said they had to remove the bumper cover.

We thus attempted to do this, in the process we figured out we couldn't unscrew the top two screws on the bumper cover. All they did was turn and turn and turn. Is there any solution to this screw problem? Better yet, is there anyway to replace the grille another way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan67 View Post
Yea, we removed the engine shroud and then the top screws on the grille. We got stuck there when it said to remove the four screws on the bottom of the grille and we couldn't figure out how to access said screws. I visited American Muscle, where I purchased the grille from, and under the reviews someone said they had to remove the bumper cover.

We thus attempted to do this, in the process we figured out we couldn't unscrew the top two screws on the bumper cover. All they did was turn and turn and turn. Is there any solution to this screw problem? Better yet, is there anyway to replace the grille another way?

"Google"
Old 12-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
"Google"
Do you think I haven't tried that? I cant explain to Google my exact problem like I can humans in a message board that you come to for help.

Besides, Im 16 - This is my first car, Im not exactly in the "know" yet regarding Mustangs and cars in general with the lingo and how to install things. So when I did search Google, not knowing what half the parts are called, didn't get me too far.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
Regular
Supporter

That's what google is for buddy. Google," directions for install of billet grill for 04 mustang" try various different ways.Sometimes it will pull up a thread in a different forum.It might be a topic already disscussed somewhere else. Don't get frustrated. Just keep searching.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

It was a pain it the *** to remove mine. It had two bolts on the top and I think two that were on the bottom clips.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

You can check American Muscle's Tech/Install Articles, specifically the one for the Mach I grill delete. I'm pretty sure they have a good break down on how to remove the old grill (including the bumper removal).

As for those screws...

I'm going to guess it's those plastic ones, and they screw into a pin which holds the bumper down? Probably looks close to this.
http://www.mustangevolution.com/articles/2009181/

They are tricky but there is a pretty simple way to get them out. If you can unscrew the heads a bit it will be a bit better but even if you can't it won't be hard. What you'll have to do is find a small flat head screw driver and/or a small pick tool and the screwdriver for the screw. As you unscrew the screw use the flathead/pick tool to get under the screw's head and use a little upward pressure to guide the screw out as you're unscrewing. At some point you may even just pop the screw out which is fine.

These screws are not so much screws as they are pins, or even rivets. In fact when you go to reinstall everything you will probably be able to just push them back in and not even use a screwdriver.

What these screw/pins do is spread the piece it is sitting in, out and thus holding the trim (e.g. the bumper) in. So as soon as the screw comes out, you'll have to pop the pin it was sitting in out as well.

I hope that was clear enough. It is really easy to remove but I guess just hard to describe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

there are two bolts on each side of the bumper where the bumper meets the fender (that little horizontal line there) you can run your hand up to it and feel them. Remove those two, take the head lights out (two pins behind pull them slide the headlight out (use a towel to keep the bumper from getting scratched))

Then remove the two push pins under the front of the bumper and the two on the top where the center between the headlights are (the painted parts that come up on the edges inside the headlights)

Then if you have fog lights unplug them.

Get a friend to pull the edge of the bumper where you unbolted it out and then slide the bumper off. I would use tape around the fender/bumper to keep scratches from happening.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #10
Regular
Supporter

All that for a grille?
Old 12-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/musta...04-install.pdf
Untamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:12 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

the grill has bolts under it that hold it to the bumper so you cant really get to them without pulling the bumper off.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:01 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
the grill has bolts under it that hold it to the bumper so you cant really get to them without pulling the bumper off.
Easiest way to do it is pull the 2 top plastic screws off, remove both headlights and bend the top of the bumper enough to get them off. There are 4 bolts you will need to get to from pushing the bumper this way. They are 1/4 inch if I recall correctly and are a major pita to remove. You can feel them if you reach to the bottom of the grill and go under the bumper right there with your hand.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:03 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

yea you can remove it like that but putting bolts back in there is a *****, IMO its easier and less of a pain to just pull the bumper or at least slide it off some~ either way have fun !

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT