Suggestions? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-25-2009, 08:12 PM   #1

Region: Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to ride0909
Suggestions?

Hi guys,im new here and recently started my new hobby,which is my mustang.I have been building and doing the offroad thing for a long time now but getting a mustang was a thing i wanted to do for a long time but just put on the back burner.I recently just picked up a 00 mustang gt vert,and it is pretty much stock besides a flowmaster exhaust,i also ordered a CAI from american muscle which i have not put on yet,my question is i want to get as much extra hp out of some boltons,i whould love to get a super charger but unless i find one used for sheap or i win the lottery this is not going to happen!So i was wondering what else i should add,I was thinking throttle body,plenum,and a mass air sensor,american muscle has a throttlebody and plenum 70mm combo,is this what size mm i should use,i whould rather stay away from having to tune it if at all possible?Out of those 3 things which setup whould be the best with the cai i have,or should i not get all 3 and just a throttle body and vise versa!Any advice whould be great!Sorry for sounding so dumb but we all started somwhere
ride0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Re: Suggestions?

T.B, and spacer=useless.Go for a tuner with that CAI or splurge on some gears if you have the cash.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Yah, I agree with DDTCM. Throttle body and t/b spacer are pretty much useless on a N/A motor. An aftermarket CAI won't be pushing enough air through to require a bigger t/b.

If you're an auto GT, definitely look into some gears and a tune, as stated above. Common saying is 3.73's for manuals, 4.10's for autos. As far as more bolt ons, there's underdrive pulleys, a new mid pipe (h-pipe or x-pipe), possibly long tube headers if you want a deeper tone and a couple of hp's and don't mind spending a few hundred bucks.

You can only get so much out of bolt ons, but every little bit helps. Throw all these bolt ons on the car and follow up with a solid tune, and you could probably hang with a S197.

Being a vert, some subframe connectors would help stiffen up the car and eliminate chassis flex in the corners. Weld ins only, Maximum Motorsports makes a decent set.

As far as superchargers, I would stay away from a used one. You don't really know the true condition of it, whether all the parts are there, or if internals are shot. A damaged supercharger operating on your engine could claim it's life pretty quickly...and that couple thousand dollars you saved just went out the window...and some.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2009, 11:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

def tuner with custom tunes
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:43 PM   #5

Alright thanks guys for the info,also my car is a 5spd.What kind of tuner should i get then,somthing 400 and under whould be nice
Old 12-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #6

Im also looking into some gears and pulleys,but other then that stuff is there anything else i should be looking at to get more hp,i did find a guy in ct thats has a kb supercharger,the whole kit for 1600,he said it has around 5k on it,but im scared to get a used one as sonicpony said,parts missing,or internals smoked,etc.But the next on my list will be a tuner i think which i want to order tom,so any suggestions on that and or any other boltons that wont break the bank to bad whould be helpful,Thanks guys
Old 12-26-2009, 10:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

If you're starting out with modding, a dyno tune probably won't be necessary. Usually people get them when doing forced induction, engine builds, anything that really alters the air/fuel ratios.

You could look into custom tunes on handheld tuners such as Diablosport or SCT. Custom tunes are better than the canned pre-set tunes, because they are made specifically for your car, not just a general bunch of settings...let me re-phrase that, DO NOT buy a pre-loaded tune! lol.

Check around with custom performance shops in your area, they might do custom tuning via handheld tuners, or you can order one through a vendor such as VMP Tuning or American Muscle. VMP Tuning does a great job with tunes.

Since you're a manual, I'm sure one of the other manual guys will suggest a short throw shifter. There are a few available, so I'm sure they will chime in on which ones are best. They are relatively inexpensive and make shifting much easier and more fun.

That kenne bell price sounds too good to be true...don't they usually run about 4-5k new. You'd have to tear it apart to see whether the internals were shot, and even then if something failed after install, shards and shavings would be all over in your engine = major problems/headaches.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

I had a 96gt with a 2001 Gt engine. My mods, BBK CAI fender mount with 75mm TB, non piggy back UDP, O/R H-pipe with 40 series flows, ford racing B-springs,3.27 gears, & stock tune. This was a good street set up. The car ran great as a daily driver & responded well to the bolt ons. Far from a dragster but fun. 3.73's & a tune would have been a plus but never did it.
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:22 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

sct tuner and a custom tune would be my next move
Want an 03/04 Cobra

Born:5/23/97, Build # 5722 of 6961 Builds
Cobra GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT