trans filter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-13-2005, 07:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Talking trans filter

what up guys! gonna change my trans fluid & filter this weekend. i'm assuming the torque converter has a drain plug. please let me know for sure. anyway, how many quarts do i need? how many would the t.c. hold? thanks for the help.
white 98 gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2005, 10:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Re: trans filter

i do not believe the torque converter has a drain plug. i think you should be fine with 5 quarts but buy six just incase and return it if you dont use it all.
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

thanks for the info dude. don't you sometimes post on mustang forums?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2005, 08:52 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by white 98 gt
what up guys! gonna change my trans fluid & filter this weekend. i'm assuming the torque converter has a drain plug. please let me know for sure. anyway, how many quarts do i need? how many would the t.c. hold? thanks for the help.
Not sure about what you are asking??? The torque converter is inside the bell housing and is not accessible unless you take the transmission off. Are you really asking about the trans pan. If you are no there is not a drain plug. However the pan is made of thick enough material to tap it for a plug if you have the know how and want one.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

danger dude, sorry, thought my question was pretty straight forward. yes, the t.c. is in the bell housing. there is a rubber grommet about the size of a .50 piece on the bottom of the bell housing. if you remove it you can see the t.c. some converters have a small drain plug in it(to drain the converter). just didn't know if mine did or not. guess i'll find out when i put it up on the rack. my trans pan does not have have a drain plug, have to unbolt the pan to empty fluid. like you were saying, it would be nice to have a drain plug for the pan. don't know where i can have that done though. have a good day.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:10 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

most losten teh bolts a bit then drp the back/front bolts down to start the fluid drain, then they remove the pan all together. They can then get to the filter pretty easy. After that you just go in reverse making sure to replace teh gasket if needed, some are reuable so check on that.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:10 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

also it takes a ton of fluid... and you will have to cycle though the gears a few times to get it to start to shift after your done. ALOT OF FLUID mine nearly took 10 quarts if i remember right.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

so this is the only way to add transmission fluid? sorry if i sound stupid about this... but i have been thinking that it probably needs to be done, but i havent been exactly sure how to change it out. You just unbolt the transmission pan and the fluid is sitting inside of that?

Mods: MAC Dual Catback Exhaust, MAC Shorty Headers, CAI, Sequential Taillights, 03 17" Cobra Rims

My Garage
electricstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:21 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
also it takes a ton of fluid... and you will have to cycle though the gears a few times to get it to start to shift after your done. ALOT OF FLUID mine nearly took 10 quarts if i remember right.
Wow that much out when you removed the pan???? Typically only about half the fluid comes out the pan and the rest stays in the TC.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:56 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Spector has a 5 speed.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:00 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

I had a 97 auto before that though (mustang)
Old 12-14-2005, 06:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I had a 97 auto before that though (mustang)
how the helldid you get so much fluid out? dd you have the car running with the pan off to get all the oild out? thats is a very bad thing to do.
it should not need that much fluid
and replce the gasket even if it looks fine clean the mating surfaces and apply a small bead of high temp rtv all around. and bolt it back up.
i doubt the tc has a drain plug, most cars dont.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:54 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
Spector has a 5 speed.
they dont have ten quarts, they use like 4 total.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:56 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 232stang
how the helldid you get so much fluid out? dd you have the car running with the pan off to get all the oild out? thats is a very bad thing to do.
it should not need that much fluid
and replce the gasket even if it looks fine clean the mating surfaces and apply a small bead of high temp rtv all around. and bolt it back up.
i doubt the tc has a drain plug, most cars dont.
There is only 2 ways to get all the fluid out safely

1. Complete Disassembly
2. Cooler Line Flush Machine or Pump Inlet Flush Machine and pump inlet flushing is prefered

And as a matter of fact I had a Pump inlet flush and filter change today. It is pricey but well worth the cost on a performance tranny
Old 12-14-2005, 09:00 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
There is only 2 ways to get all the fluid out safely

1. Complete Disassembly
2. Cooler Line Flush Machine or Pump Inlet Flush Machine and pump inlet flushing is prefered

And as a matter of fact I had a Pump inlet flush and filter change today. It is pricey but well worth the cost on a performance tranny
i have no idea how spector got 10 quarts out just by removing the pan. thats crazy
yeah the flush is pricey, but i think that if one does the oil changes a bit more frequently than recomended, a flush shouldnt be something that has to be done.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:08 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
i have no idea how spector got 10 quarts out just by removing the pan. thats crazy
yeah the flush is pricey, but i think that if one does the oil changes a bit more frequently than recomended, a flush shouldnt be something that has to be done.
Actually it is very good to do if you go about every 2-3 years between flushes in High Perfromance application or hard use. I could feel the difference the time it shifted. It is real ggod especially for transmissions with regular trans fluid where varnish and sludge form and does not come out with just the pan removed. It removes all the old fluid and replenishes it with new
Old 12-14-2005, 09:11 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Actually it is very good to do if you go about every 2-3 years between flushes in High Perfromance application or hard use. I could feel the difference the time it shifted. It is real ggod especially for transmissions with regular trans fluid where varnish and sludge form and does not come out with just the pan removed. It removes all the old fluid and replenishes it with new
werd, i just dont think its nessesary for DD vehicles, how many of us even have heavily modified engines.
i agree though if someone has a lead foot all the time then a flush is a good idea.;
Old 12-14-2005, 09:16 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
werd, i just dont think its nessesary for DD vehicles, how many of us even have heavily modified engines.
i agree though if someone has a lead foot all the time then a flush is a good idea.;
Actually if you are one of those guys that has never had a trans filter and fluid change in 5 or more years you a good candidate for a flush
Old 12-14-2005, 09:37 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Hm...I have 68k miles...and have never changed my tranny fluid, think I should look into it corey? lol...I don't mind spending the money if it's gonna make a difference. I need to install a tranny cooler as well...might find a cool shop that'll drain/flush, let me hook up the tranny cooler, and then refill. Just scared my hard shifts with the chip are gonna kill my tranny.
Our's:
Old 12-14-2005, 09:51 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Hm...I have 68k miles...and have never changed my tranny fluid, think I should look into it corey? lol...I don't mind spending the money if it's gonna make a difference. I need to install a tranny cooler as well...might find a cool shop that'll drain/flush, let me hook up the tranny cooler, and then refill. Just scared my hard shifts with the chip are gonna kill my tranny.
Actually Hard shift are better than smooth shifts on a tranny. The reason the manufacturer sets up cars for smooth shifts is for comfort. Most buyers would not by a car that jerked them or if they feel the shift. No matter how you look at it performance buyers represent only a small fraction of buyers.

When a tranny shifts smooth it is actually engaging slowly when it does this it is slipping the clutches in the tranny causing additional wear but gives a smooth shift.

With a firm shift the tranny slips very little causing a positive engagement and much less wear.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:53 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Hm...didn't know that, I figured the quick shifting caused more heat for some reason. But..what you said makes sense. And yeh..ask anyone who has ridden with me...both upshifts and downshifts are fast. Downshifting from 3rd to 2nd will lose traction on a wet road sometimes.
Our's:
Old 12-14-2005, 09:56 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

more quick a shift, means there is less slippage, and less heat.
at 68k miles i really do reccomend a flush.
there are people far wose than you though, i did it for a friend once who had never changed the tranny oil in her minivan it had

138k miles
Old 12-14-2005, 09:56 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Hm...didn't know that, I figured the quick shifting caused more heat for some reason. But..what you said makes sense. And yeh..ask anyone who has ridden with me...both upshifts and downshifts are fast. Downshifting from 3rd to 2nd will lose traction on a wet road sometimes.
Actually Slipping causes friction which causes heat and glazing which causes more slipping and eventually failure. In performance trannys you just need to pay more attention to fluid changes
Old 12-15-2005, 10:04 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

I need to do this but am not looking forward to doing it in the winter.

Should take no more than 5 quarts. Unless you're SpectorV and have the big bertha.
Heat is an enemy to trannys and faster shifts cause less heat build up.
Make sure, if you can find it, to use pure synthetic fluid. It's like synthetic oil, you wouldn't think it would make that much difference until you actually use it.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:12 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

O, I only use mobil 1 synthetic oil, live by the stuff now. Engine has a smoother run now, there was always a little give in power before. I know I probably just imagined this...but it's my mind that matters neways lol.
Our's:
Old 12-15-2005, 11:06 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

Quote:
O, I only use mobil 1 synthetic oil, live by the stuff now. Engine has a smoother run now, there was always a little give in power before. I know I probably just imagined this...but it's my mind that matters neways lol.
Heck yes! I'm not the only one that thought that! It starts up better, and just seems to all around run smoother. I read somewhere that they did a complete fluid swap on a vehicle, don't think it was a Mustang but anyway, they changed all the fliuds to synthetic, dynoed it before and after, and found that it caused a 25 hp gain. Might have been different condidtions but I think that amount is greater than an error ratio.

Anyway, Mobile 1 owns.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:26 AM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Jumping from regular oil to synthetic is noticable as far as engine smoothness but power increases would only be noticable if you had your crankcase filled with sand!!!!!!! The real lowdown on synthetic oil is ANY SYHTHETIC IS BETTER THAN REGULAR OIL PERIOD. I typically use Castrol but if it is on sale I will use Mobile one but I have used just about every synthetic and I refuse to use Amsoil or Royal purple simple because I dont like being raped of my money for something that is overpriced. Same with oil filters I am not spending 3 X the money for a K&N oil filter if I am going to throw it away in a few months. You can read some of my past post on synthetic oil and filters to get more in depth on this subject
Old 12-16-2005, 08:38 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

it was flushed back in the day, before I got out of highschool so i may be off... but im sure it took a good bit. I belive it was the same time as my shift kit was installed... that may allude to something.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:49 AM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
it was flushed back in the day, before I got out of highschool so i may be off... but im sure it took a good bit. I belive it was the same time as my shift kit was installed... that may allude to something.

BACK IN THE DAY!!!!2: MUHAHAHAHHAHAHHAAHA what 2 years ago MUHAHAHAHHAHHAA

Man when I say back in the day I am usually talking about before your parents were born MUHAHAHHAHAHAHA
Old 12-16-2005, 12:12 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

I was in high school 5 years ago~
Old 12-16-2005, 01:27 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Way back in the day 5 years ago HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA

YOU FUNNY :thumbs2:
Old 12-16-2005, 02:17 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

corey graduated high school in what year?

time was not invented at that point in history.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:04 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
corey graduated high school in what year?

time was not invented at that point in history.
1979 you fart knocker!!!!
Old 12-16-2005, 06:04 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
holy **** your old, i wanst even born yet
Old 12-16-2005, 06:24 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Illinois

Quote:
Damn I am older than you.

Even non modified daily drivers can take advantage of a tranny cooler.

I try to get my trans flushed every 30k.
I am a little past due so I will get it done while I am on vacation now.
2003 SVT Lightning #1059 of 4270
2000 Vert 4R70W
Only buy from vendors that test and stand behind their products
slvr2000stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT