May have hurt my motor, need troubleshooting ideas - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
May have hurt my motor, need troubleshooting ideas

Ok, it appears I have hurt something in the motor leaving a get together this past weekend. I left in my normal way, only this time the tires let go a little quicker than I expected and I did hit the rev limiter for a second or 2 in 3rd gear as the tires went up in smoke.

I'm at work so I can't sit there and diagnose the problem right now so I would like some ideas/suggestions. Probably won't be able to get to it until tomorrow night.

Anyhow, here's the deal. When idling, everything seems fine. As you accelerate, or even just raise the rpms up, from 1500 on up you hear a tapping type sound coming from the back side of the motor on the passenger side. If you have ever heard of "the tick" that the 03/04 cobras can develop, it sounds very similar, only it is on the wrong side of the motor for it to be "the tick" as that infects the driver side.

Like I said, there seems to be no noise at idle whether warm or cold startup. As you raise the RPMs, the noise starts to come on...by 1500 rpms, it is in full stride. It is really noticible between 1500-3000 rpms. Above that, I Can't seem to hear it when driving, however I have not tested the theory when parked as I only had a few minutes at lunch to look at it.

The best way I can think of to describe the sound is a tapping type of sound...and somewhat close to what the worlds worst exhaust leak would sound like. I originally thought it was a leak that may have developed from hitting a chunk of concrete randomly placed in the road that wedged under the car, but I do not feel any leak anywhere and there is no leak sound at idel when listening under the car.

I am going to try and get video of the sound when I get home from work and upload it.

So, in the mean time, what problems do you think it could be?

Things that pop to mind are valve train issues. Bent valve, valve seat issue, ????.
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Re: May have hurt my motor, need troubleshooting ideas

I'm not sure that I had "exactly the same" symptoms on my GT recently but they were similar. From your discription my ticking wasn't as loud as your's but my problem ended up being a loose spark plug. (I eventually found this out when the plug was launched through the coil pack and screwed up my head). You might want to check that?

-Denver
2002 Mineral Grey GT, 5-speed: MGW short throw, JLT CAI: SOLD
2002 Electric Green V6, Auto: SOLD
greenpony02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

That was one option thrown out on another forum as well. I will be pulling the coil cover tonight when I get home...if it threw the plug, it should be obvious. I really hope that is the problem and not a valve/bottom end issue.
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Any updates?

I would look towards a valve problem to be honest. Know of anyone with a engine cam? I think it'd be worth your time to take a look before ripping stuff apart.

Is the fox still down? If so...that sucks man.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Just got video...here it is. Not plug related, plugs look good. I hope it's head related and not bottom end....will get the tool for compression test later this week.

And yes, the fox is down...and now the cobra is down. Ugh.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

It sure sounds an awful lot like an exhaust leak in that vid, tried to call ya man...

Have you checked oil/coolant to make sure there's not fluid mixing? It sounds like my bronco did when it blew the head gasket - like an exhaust leak on only one cylinder. That leads me to believe it might be the head gasket or the header gasket. I know there's no room in there to check but I'd stick a piece of paper or something in that area to see if there's any air movement.
Our's:
Old 01-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

All I've had time to do today was what you see inthe vid and pull my plugs. Work and bowling kill today. I won't have a good chance to do much unilateral Saturday
Old 01-25-2010, 07:42 PM   #8

Region: Florida

I don't mean to hi-jack with this post but it got a question the 03 04 cobra tick on the driver side what is that cause I have a tick noise but slight
03 Yellow Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

maybe its exhaust leak related... but it sounds like something wrong on the back end of the head.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

For what it's worth, this was me leaving the get together...I don't hear anything pop in the video, but I do hear me hit the limiter towards the end in 3rd gear.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:56 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Did you actually check the plugs on that side? (IE to see if they were crushed/damaged?)

Without actually hearing it in person, that doesn't sound like bottom end.. Sounds a lot like a broken valve spring, or maybe one of the rollers unseated.. listen around with a steth/extension, on valve cover/at the exhaust manifold..

I've heard a lot of exhaust leaks and that could just be the video, but this sounds more metallic.. It could be right where the manifold meets the head, though - listening around with a steth will give that away..
Old 01-26-2010, 09:18 AM   #12
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Yeah, there is no exhaust leak from the headers back, however I have not felt around along the header flanges on the head themselves yet. However, like you said, there is a definite metallic sound so I am 98% sure it is not a leak.

I did pull the plugs because it was suggested that I may have blown one out, and there are no problems with the plugs on that side.

I have not had a chance to do a lot of investigation due to work and bowling last night so I haven't done the screwdriver thing. However, Louis is coming over this afternoon and we are going to look at it some.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by purevenom View Post
just got video...here it is. Not plug related, plugs look good. I hope it's head related and not bottom end....will get the tool for compression test later this week.

and yes, the fox is down...and now the cobra is down. Ugh.
i know how that feels
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #14
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Ok, Louis came over with his nifty stethoscope and we did some trouble shooting. We poked and prodded for a couple hours. From up top, it sounded like a mechanical failure. From below, it sounded like an exhaust leak. Nothing was visible. Nothing showed up on the steth.

So, anyone that has see the bottom side of the 4 valves knows, you can't see ****. We took the starter off and boom, we found the problem. It appears that I have a minor exhaust leak. Well, by minor I mean that about 1/2 the gasket has been blown out from the header flange of the #3 cylinder.

Needless to say, I am much happier with a $35 fix instead of having to tear into the motor. Only problem is the PITA factor of messing with the headers ranks right up there with your worst nightmares. It may be time to go tubular again to open things up again.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:56 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

diff need to remove the k member, but you already know that. it's gonna be fun.

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:36 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Ha, I called it.

Glad you got it figured out man.
Our's:
Old 01-27-2010, 09:35 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Nice job Rob Those exhaust leaks can be a ***** to locate

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:37 AM   #18
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

They are, specially when they don't sound like one up top and do down below. lol
Old 01-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

fun, it will be a major ***** to fix but.. much cheaper to fix an exhaust leak rather than the engine
Old 01-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #20
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Indeed. I'm looking at a tubular k-member to install at the same time to make my life easier since I have to drop the K in order to swap gaskets out anyhow. I'm getting recommendations on spring rates as we speak so I think I am going that route.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:26 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

which K member are you going with? I think MM has about the best for a street car thats out~ some of the others are nice but for drag only~ I think steeda just came out with a new one but its not as good as mm's going by what everyone is saying.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #22
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Aje, team z, racecraft, or psr. Leaning psr right now. The mm one sucks as far as how it pushes the front tires outside the fender lip. I don't like the way it looks.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

true, i forgot about that part... not sure why they do that on all their K members, they should have a street application that keeps them where you want them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT