Eibach Lower Springs- 1" Drop - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
Region: Utah
Eibach Lower Springs- 1" Drop

I'm looking to join the 'stang community here soon and have my eyes on an '03 GT that has been lightly modded already. I'm not much of a wrench turner at present so I'm going to list the mods on the car and hopefully get some general feedback/potential red flags from you guys.

-Engine: Stock Internally,
-BBK underdrive pulleys,
-BBK 75mm throttle body and plenum,
-BBK Cold Air Intake Exhaust: BBK 1 5/8" ceramic long tube headers and BBK off-road x-pipe matched with Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers and 3in exhaust tips. This system was offset with proper MIL eliminators.
-Suspension: Eibach Lower Springs 1" Drop Transmission: Stock 3650 5-Speed

Out of that the thing that concerns me is the Eibach lower springs. Is it necessary to get subframe connectors and braces to go along with those or possibly shocks so as to not damage the chassis or anything else?

Also, I'm curious about the underdrive pulleys and have heard mixed reviews about piggybacking. Don't limit your commentary to those two things though, I'm interested in whatever you have to say about the other mods as well. Thanks!

austindk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Wisconsin
Re: Eibach Lower Springs- 1" Drop

Those are pretty common bolt on mods for the 99-04 GT's. You can add all of those engine mods and don't require a tune, so you're fine there. A tune would make them more effective, but it's not necessary.

The eibach springs should be fine...a 1" drop is hardly noticeable...usually the eibach's (pro kit) lower the car 1.5", so I'd check into that. A common rule for our mustangs (v6 and v8) is that if you lower the car 1.5" or more, caster camber (CC) plates are necessary for proper alignment to prevent uneven tire wear. I'd check for aftermarket CC plates on the strut towers...here's a pic:

Aftermarket shocks/struts are always a good idea since the spring rate is different from stock...so the stock struts/shocks are going to wear out quicker. You don't have to do them immediately, but I'd consider them in the near future. Bilstein or Tokico are both good brands.

You can have subframe connectors installed. They will stiffen up the chassis significantly, elminating chassis flex and help with launches and keep the car solid in the the turns. Weld in are the best bet, forget the ones that bolt in. You can do a strut tower brace as well, it will help with flex in the front of the car. That brace will eliminate the the strut towers from twisting. They run about $100-150.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l 2.6 Pulley/Idler l Airaid l o/r X l 305 NT555R's l Recaros l

04 Azure Blue Mach 1 / 03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 14 Sterling Grey F150 FX4 402A 5.0 / 11 GT500 R.I.P.
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

no need to do anything with a drop like chassis stiffening~ the springs on there are a little drop so the alignment may not have any issues getting back into stock specifications so the tires wear right. If the tires are wearing wrong (check for inside wear) then you will need caster/camber plates for 180 bucks~

Underdrive pullies wont hurt anything unless you plan to put a huge stereo system in the car, then you can just get an alternator pulley to off set it slowing it down.

The transmission you are looking at is known to have 2nd gear syncro issues check when its nice and cold to see if it shifts ok with no grind (may be notchy, heck my T-56 is) but no grind.

You can do subframe connectors (GREAT mod) for 120 bucks (maximum motorsport full length weld in subframe connectors or some good brand full length weld in only NO BOLT IN piece of craps.

If you can get the car up on a lift and check for leaks, bolts being removed recently to let you know things have been removed (if you dont know or they didnt mention it was removed) etc

overall they are rather good cars, get a carfax and feel the car and look for any repainted panels or painted parts under the car that were not taped up and overspray got on them etc to clue you into anything done.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Illinois

Dont let the guy tell you that those mods make it worth alot of money the throttle body and plenum alone won't do anything.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT