Need advice on upgrading mach1 suspension - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-04-2010, 09:55 PM   #1

Need advice on upgrading mach1 suspension

I would like to upgrade my 04 mach1 suspension but don't really know where to start. My concern is that a cars suspension is so dependent on the multiple components an requires tuning as well.

I only want to go as far as springs,struts,braces and subframe connectors. I don't want to convert to coil over or independent suspension.

If I buy a spring and strut package is it tuned for my particular car?

Can anyone recommend a proven setup they have? struts, springs, roll bars, etc.

Should I just find a local shop experienced in doing this on mustangs? I am in northern NJ.

Any opinions would be greatly recommended.
jranaudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: Need advice on upgrading mach1 suspension

ok first question is, what do you wanna do with the car, (drag, autox, road race, just rool around and look good) seriously need to know that before a proper answer is given.

now you ask will they be properly tuned. well any kit you buy (shocks, springs, whatever) will be for your car, as long as you pick the correct parts for your particular car. Only time that suspension parts for have to be "tuned" would be when you start doing custom suspension parts like coilovers and custom valve shocks. o and i guess tuning could also be considered getting alignments. well they got camber caster kits for that.

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:33 PM   #3

Sorry should have added that. This is not my dialy driver. I use it on weekends and for a few track events during the year at places like pocono, limerock and watkins glen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa

Here is a suggestion:

•H&R race springs
•MM Caster/Camber Plates
•Shocks/struts (in order from steet --> track biased) Bilstein (HD) -> Koni Yellow (single adj) -> Koni Yellow (double adj)
•MM Panhard Bar
•MM XL length Subframe Connectors
•MM Strut Tower Brace
•MM 4-point K-member Brace

If your planning on hitting the tracks, you may want to also consider some basic brake upgrading as well (fluid, pads, ss-lines) to help minimize brake fade.
John@NQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@NQS View Post
Here is a suggestion:

•H&R race springs
•MM Caster/Camber Plates
•Shocks/struts (in order from steet --> track biased) Bilstein (HD) -> Koni Yellow (single adj) -> Koni Yellow (double adj)
•MM Panhard Bar
•MM XL length Subframe Connectors
•MM Strut Tower Brace
•MM 4-point K-member Brace

If your planning on hitting the tracks, you may want to also consider some basic brake upgrading as well (fluid, pads, ss-lines) to help minimize brake fade.
Thanks. I see your a vendor. Sounds like you know what our talking about.

Question. what does the K-member and panhard bar do?
Old 03-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

The K member brace just keeps flexing down on the K member. It goes on the bottom of it, stock 03/04 cobra verts (probably all verts in that year set) have them.

If you wish to save a little you can do the K member and the strut tower brace later but they are good items to get.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #7

or I can just replace the K-member with an aftermarket one but I hear thats pretty pricey.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa

To answer the panhard question, I'm just going to paste in a blurb from the MM site as they do a good job of explaining why you would want one..

The Root of the Problem
Solid-axle-equipped Mustangs were manufactured with a four-link rear suspension design that requires the rear upper control arms to do two jobs. One job is to locate the axle laterally. Unfortunately, compromises in the design of the Mustang four-link prevent the rear axle from being precisely located. The axle will shift from side-to-side by up to 2 inches. This inconsistent movement of the rear axle causes a rear-steer effect.

Rear-steer means that the rear of the car is steering itself, without any steering input from the driver. This rear-steer behavior makes the Mustang unstable, and requires corrective action by the driver. This can make the driver feel very uncomfortable, as they do not have complete control of the rear of the car. While that four-link design might be suitable for a commuter car, it cannot provide the handling prowess expected of a high performance vehicle.

The MM Panhard Bar Solution
The MM Panhard Bar adds an aluminum rod as a lateral suspension link between the rear axle and the Mustang chassis. This simple design precisely controls the side-to-side location of the axle to eliminate rear steer. The unstable and unpredictable feeling typically associated with the Mustang four-link suspension is gone, making your car safer and easier to drive!

Depending on your budget, I would recommend doing the springs - CC plates - shocks/struts at the same time as you will have all of those components apart to replace any one of them, so you'll save yourself some labor. The other components can be done individually as you want. You might want to think about a torque-arm also, but I would not invest in that until after you put on the panhard bar and see how that feels.
John@NQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

yea, it depends on how you want it to handle and why. If you are just on the street then you probably do not need a Tq Arm or panhard bar honestly~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:56 AM   #10

good point about the panhard bar. I am thinking the same thing of doing the struts, springs, etc first then the other stuff maybe next year.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT