Possibly Fuel Leak, Gas Tank - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to Mustang1804 Send a message via Yahoo to Mustang1804
Possibly Fuel Leak, Gas Tank

For months now my 1999 Ford Mustang GT has had a weird smell that arises when I either just filled my tank or when I take sharp turns. A few days ago I have filled my tank up to F for the first time in awhile and I took a turn and noticed a small trail in the rear view mirror and smelled a raw gas smell. I have had the Mustang in the driveway ever since and have been taking the subway to work and from work. I thought I would hope on forums first before I go to the shop. Anyone have any answers!?! Thank you ahead of time!!!

Also been have a SERVICE ENGINE SOON sensor that came on since then and was wondering if this could be related to this issue.
Mustang1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta
Re: Possibly Fuel Leak, Gas Tank

Well, I had the same problem. It was the metal piping from the tank to the filler hose. Does it drip whenever you fill it up? If you haven't even noticed, check that out next time you fill up. If it is that, just get a new filler hose.
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Delta View Post
Well, I had the same problem. It was the metal piping from the tank to the filler hose. Does it drip whenever you fill it up? If you haven't even noticed, check that out next time you fill up. If it is that, just get a new filler hose.

Umm not that I have noticed but I can definitely take a look next time. I filled it up to F before and took a turn and looked in the rear view mirror and saw a small trail of liquid when I turned away from the gas station and smelled a raw odor of gasoline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
Road Trip!

That's probably what it is, then.

99-04 Mustang Fuel Tank Filler Pipe by Ford at LRS - Same Day Shipping!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok thanks alot ill check out that link. I was in another forum and they told me the RUBBER GROMMET from the filler neck could be worn. Is it a possiblity that this could be the problem?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
Road Trip!

That's possible too. You can try replacing the rubber grommet and if it doesn't fix it, then you know you need a new filler pipe.

Mustang 99-04 Fuel Tank Filler Grommet by Ford at LRS - Same Day Shipping!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's possible too. You can try replacing the rubber grommet and if it doesn't fix it, then you know you need a new filler pipe.

Mustang 99-04 Fuel Tank Filler Grommet by Ford at LRS - Same Day Shipping!
Ok thanks again. I had one more question. I lack the skills and the tools to do any work in that area of my stang. I Would have to have either or both done at a shop, roughly how much would a job for either run u think?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Just to replace the grommet....maybe 100 dollars tops. If they try to charge you more than 100, go somewhere else.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just to replace the grommet....maybe 100 dollars tops. If they try to charge you more than 100, go somewhere else.
How about the filler pipe?
Old 03-29-2010, 11:07 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Filler pipe might be a little more expensive, but not much. I'd say 150 tops.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:01 AM   #11
Regular

Region: Tennessee

I am sure it is the gasket. I had the same problem on my 96 after swapping the fuel pump.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:52 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

I just changed the rubber grommet on my car a few months ago. $14.95 from the ford dealer. I had the same problems that you are having & it solved it.
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:54 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Also make sure that you get the right one for your car, 98-04 are the same. The 86-97 have a larger filler neck.
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:26 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

as all have said above it happens around the filler neck area
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:11 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
as all have said above it happens around the filler neck area
Thanks alot, I appreciate all the advice
Old 03-31-2010, 12:50 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did your SERVICE ENGINE SOON light come on the whole time u had the issue? If yes did it go away right when u resolved the issue?
Old 03-31-2010, 01:03 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Nope, didn't come on the whole time I had the issue. It did however come on whenever my passenger manifold had a small leak in it.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nope, didn't come on the whole time I had the issue. It did however come on whenever my passenger manifold had a small leak in it.

Ok I have no idea why my SERVICE ENGINE SOON light keeps coming on, I kind of assume it was due to this fuel/gas leak I have but idk The alternator was change and it went away but its back now. Im gonna see if I can have the leak fixed (replace the rubber grommat) then see if its still on I guess.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:40 PM   #19
Road Trip!

You can always go to Advance or Autozone, whichever you prefer, and they'll hook it up to a code reader for free and it'l tell you what the problem is. And after you buy your own tuner, you can use that instead.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:57 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You can always go to Advance or Autozone, whichever you prefer, and they'll hook it up to a code reader for free and it'l tell you what the problem is. And after you buy your own tuner, you can use that instead.

Ok sounds great, well thank you very much for the info. Appreciate it.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:37 PM   #21
Road Trip!

You're welcome. If you have any other trouble or questions post'em up.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:56 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You're welcome. If you have any other trouble or questions post'em up.
I definitely will, u were alot of help. Im gonna go take care of the Stang this weekend, ill keep u posted.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:20 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

I really wish I would have seen this earlier.

I, like many other Mustang owners, have encountered similar problems. If you have a Service Engine Soon light (SES) than you should really get it checked out. You can now go to Advance Auto, Pep Boys, Autozone or really just any auto parts store and have them scan the code. Most, if not all, should read the code for free. When you have the trouble code either they can tell you what the problem is, or you can write the code down and go home and Google it and get plenty of good results on the matter: causes, problems and fixes. If you really want OBD readers have become fairly inexpensive and are available at said auto stores and even places such as Sears. You can always pick one up and scan the code yourself.

As I said I had a very similar problem, every time I'd fill up there would be gas leaking under the car and the occasional SES light came on. The code indicated a small emission vapor leak. I forget which year the Mustang received the Closed Emission systems and what this means is that the car's computer is constantly measuring the amount of fuel that is being pumped, used and excess unburned fuel; all so that the car doesn't waste any gas.

The most common issue is the rubber grommet. The ethanol put in gasoline eats away at the rubber and dries it out causing the grommet to crack and leak.

My issue turned out to be the filler pipe, the ethanol caused water vapors to build up in the filler pipe, which started to rust. This confirmed the fact that when I was filling up gas was leaking from higher up on the neck rather than around the grommet. When I went to try and wrap up the hole and fix it temporarily it just became worse as a lot of rust was just sitting there undisturbed until I did what I did.

I highly suggest picking up the filler pipe and the grommet and replacing both. You can check out Tousley Ford Parts Depot for much better pricing (filler pipe <$100). With the saved cash yo can pick up a Haynes manual from the auto parts store as well.

Replacing the filler pipe and grommet isn't actually that hard, and much easier when you have the Haynes manual (and even more so with a shop manual). Besides a Jack, jack stands, a piece of wood and a friend the whole thing can be done with basic hand tools, in your driveway in a few hours. The worst of it is remembering to relieve fuel pressure and priming the fuel system (which I promise adds a whole 5 minutes to the labor). You will also have to drop the gas tank (I actually found it easier to do so, some say you can get the pipe out with out dropping the tank). Dropping the tank will require a free jack, the piece of wood and a friend.

You should also wait until the fuel tank is near empty. Either waiting until the fuel gauge reads < 1/4 tank or the Low Fuel light comes on will work or you can just siphon the tank and refill it.

Hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy View Post
I really wish I would have seen this earlier.

I, like many other Mustang owners, have encountered similar problems. If you have a Service Engine Soon light (SES) than you should really get it checked out. You can now go to Advance Auto, Pep Boys, Autozone or really just any auto parts store and have them scan the code. Most, if not all, should read the code for free. When you have the trouble code either they can tell you what the problem is, or you can write the code down and go home and Google it and get plenty of good results on the matter: causes, problems and fixes. If you really want OBD readers have become fairly inexpensive and are available at said auto stores and even places such as Sears. You can always pick one up and scan the code yourself.

As I said I had a very similar problem, every time I'd fill up there would be gas leaking under the car and the occasional SES light came on. The code indicated a small emission vapor leak. I forget which year the Mustang received the Closed Emission systems and what this means is that the car's computer is constantly measuring the amount of fuel that is being pumped, used and excess unburned fuel; all so that the car doesn't waste any gas.

The most common issue is the rubber grommet. The ethanol put in gasoline eats away at the rubber and dries it out causing the grommet to crack and leak.

My issue turned out to be the filler pipe, the ethanol caused water vapors to build up in the filler pipe, which started to rust. This confirmed the fact that when I was filling up gas was leaking from higher up on the neck rather than around the grommet. When I went to try and wrap up the hole and fix it temporarily it just became worse as a lot of rust was just sitting there undisturbed until I did what I did.

I highly suggest picking up the filler pipe and the grommet and replacing both. You can check out Tousley Ford Parts Depot for much better pricing (filler pipe <$100). With the saved cash yo can pick up a Haynes manual from the auto parts store as well.

Replacing the filler pipe and grommet isn't actually that hard, and much easier when you have the Haynes manual (and even more so with a shop manual). Besides a Jack, jack stands, a piece of wood and a friend the whole thing can be done with basic hand tools, in your driveway in a few hours. The worst of it is remembering to relieve fuel pressure and priming the fuel system (which I promise adds a whole 5 minutes to the labor). You will also have to drop the gas tank (I actually found it easier to do so, some say you can get the pipe out with out dropping the tank). Dropping the tank will require a free jack, the piece of wood and a friend.

You should also wait until the fuel tank is near empty. Either waiting until the fuel gauge reads < 1/4 tank or the Low Fuel light comes on will work or you can just siphon the tank and refill it.

Hope that helps.

Ok this actually helps alot. Im a novice DIY mechanic, very new to the whole deal and I dont think I have enough skills or the right tools yet to do this job myself so I think I might just have a mechanic do it. I have two questions...1.) Roughly how much should I be paying a normal local mechanic to replace the filler pipe and the grommet replace? 2.) did the SES light go away after u fixed the problem?
Old 04-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #25

Region: New Jersey

My 01 is going into the shop tomorrow morning to have my filler pipe replaced. The place I'm taking it said the job books out at 1.5 hours. The Ford dealer where I picked up the new pipe and gasket said 2 hours. If you need to buy it locally so you can have it in a hurry, do yourself a favor and check your Ford dealer's online pricing. Buying the pipe online then picking it up saved me $50 over just walking in and buying it. My SES light came on a couple of months ago after getting gas. I had the code read and it showed minor vapor leak. I figured it was the gas cap, replaced it and everything was fine for about another 2 weeks. The SES light came back on and that's the point where I started leaving ever so slightly larger puddles each time I got gas. Monday my check gas cap light came on so I figured it was time to get it done. Kind of a dumb part to go bad, not one I ever thought I'd be replacing; but who am I to complain? My 01 GT hit 180,000 yesterday and in that time I've spent about $650 on actual repairs, not counting brakes and such that I do myself. If the shop tries to charge you more then 1.5 hours find another shop.
Shawn
Calumus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

the fuel filter in a GT or V6 mustang takes about 30 minutes to do. You put the car on the lift, pop the disconnect line tools and the fuel filter comes out. The reverse is just as quick.... but I could see paying an hour of labor as you have to round up
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang1804 View Post
Ok this actually helps alot. Im a novice DIY mechanic, very new to the whole deal and I dont think I have enough skills or the right tools yet to do this job myself so I think I might just have a mechanic do it. I have two questions...1.) Roughly how much should I be paying a normal local mechanic to replace the filler pipe and the grommet replace? 2.) did the SES light go away after u fixed the problem?
1) I really don't know how much a mechanic will charge for this job. It is actually a straight forward job to do, it's just that there are a few components that come together (fuel tank, filler pipe, couple of bolts). I would say the job takes no longer than two hours to do, and I feel that's gracious for time.

I've taken pictures of when I did the troubleshooting and I plan on doing a write up for it (I know of a few write ups that can help you do this install as well).

If you'd rather go to a mechanic I understand, but I am all about DIY and I believe anyone can fix their cars, regardless of experience. I looked up the parts and Ford MSRP is $207 for the filler pipe and $20 for the grommet. Tousely sells it for $107 and $13 respectively so I am saving a lot of cash and I will also be saving a lot on labor because I'm doing it myself.

There is also some plastic conduit (loom) around the filler pipe on the outside. This actually causes the rusting of the filler pipe more so than the EtOH (ethanol) in the gasoline. The loom will hold condensation which oxidizes the metal.

2) So I actually haven't fixed the problem yet, so I can not say the SES went away. Because I did make the problem slightly worse the SES light has gone from a "minor vapor leak" to a "major vapor leak" and I sometimes get the "Fuel Cap" light. I believe the codes were P0452 for the minor vapor leak and P0455 for major vapor leak on the emissions systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calumus View Post
My 01 is going into the shop tomorrow morning to have my filler pipe replaced. The place I'm taking it said the job books out at 1.5 hours. The Ford dealer where I picked up the new pipe and gasket said 2 hours. If you need to buy it locally so you can have it in a hurry, do yourself a favor and check your Ford dealer's online pricing. Buying the pipe online then picking it up saved me $50 over just walking in and buying it. My SES light came on a couple of months ago after getting gas. I had the code read and it showed minor vapor leak. I figured it was the gas cap, replaced it and everything was fine for about another 2 weeks. The SES light came back on and that's the point where I started leaving ever so slightly larger puddles each time I got gas. Monday my check gas cap light came on so I figured it was time to get it done. Kind of a dumb part to go bad, not one I ever thought I'd be replacing; but who am I to complain? My 01 GT hit 180,000 yesterday and in that time I've spent about $650 on actual repairs, not counting brakes and such that I do myself. If the shop tries to charge you more then 1.5 hours find another shop.
Shawn
It's also common that the gas cap becomes loose or the threads just wear and needs to be replaced. Gas leaks is a good indicator that something is worn and needs to be replaced, such as the filler pipe or usually the grommet.

It's actually just starting to get nice again (weekends of rain) so I'm hoping to fix this this weekend or sometime next week. My Emissions ended at the end of March and I can't get the new sticker until I get this fixed (because of the SES).
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 04-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #28

Well mine got done at the shop today. The main reason I didn't do it myself is because Murphy is well known to me when it comes to working on my Stang. I just envisioned the tank strap snapping when I loosened it to get the 3" of wiggle room you need. Its not a tough job as long as you have the tools for it, and another mode of transportation in case you have to run for parts. I just moved so my tools (such as the collection is) are still in storage, and all my friends were working today. So off to the shop it went. The guy did the job for $100 since I told him I'd pay cash and didn't need a receipt. As soon as he laid his hand on the old pipe it literally fell apart. The only thing that was carrying gas to my tank was the plastic loom. Anyway, now its done and the SES and Check Gas Cap lights are out. After seeing the powderized pipe, I'll be doing my fuel filter next weekend.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
1) I really don't know how much a mechanic will charge for this job. It is actually a straight forward job to do, it's just that there are a few components that come together (fuel tank, filler pipe, couple of bolts). I would say the job takes no longer than two hours to do, and I feel that's gracious for time.

I've taken pictures of when I did the troubleshooting and I plan on doing a write up for it (I know of a few write ups that can help you do this install as well).

If you'd rather go to a mechanic I understand, but I am all about DIY and I believe anyone can fix their cars, regardless of experience. I looked up the parts and Ford MSRP is $207 for the filler pipe and $20 for the grommet. Tousely sells it for $107 and $13 respectively so I am saving a lot of cash and I will also be saving a lot on labor because I'm doing it myself.

There is also some plastic conduit (loom) around the filler pipe on the outside. This actually causes the rusting of the filler pipe more so than the EtOH (ethanol) in the gasoline. The loom will hold condensation which oxidizes the metal.

2) So I actually haven't fixed the problem yet, so I can not say the SES went away. Because I did make the problem slightly worse the SES light has gone from a "minor vapor leak" to a "major vapor leak" and I sometimes get the "Fuel Cap" light. I believe the codes were P0452 for the minor vapor leak and P0455 for major vapor leak on the emissions systems.

It's also common that the gas cap becomes loose or the threads just wear and needs to be replaced. Gas leaks is a good indicator that something is worn and needs to be replaced, such as the filler pipe or usually the grommet.

It's actually just starting to get nice again (weekends of rain) so I'm hoping to fix this this weekend or sometime next week. My Emissions ended at the end of March and I can't get the new sticker until I get this fixed (because of the SES).
Ok I see. Well keep me posted on everything then, ill do the same.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well mine got done at the shop today. The main reason I didn't do it myself is because Murphy is well known to me when it comes to working on my Stang. I just envisioned the tank strap snapping when I loosened it to get the 3" of wiggle room you need. Its not a tough job as long as you have the tools for it, and another mode of transportation in case you have to run for parts. I just moved so my tools (such as the collection is) are still in storage, and all my friends were working today. So off to the shop it went. The guy did the job for $100 since I told him I'd pay cash and didn't need a receipt. As soon as he laid his hand on the old pipe it literally fell apart. The only thing that was carrying gas to my tank was the plastic loom. Anyway, now its done and the SES and Check Gas Cap lights are out. After seeing the powderized pipe, I'll be doing my fuel filter next weekend.
Yea I understand. Thank God for public transportation, I refuse to take the Mustang out until I have this problem looked at. I rather have a mechanic repair the vehicle instead of do it myself, hopefully I can get some good prices though. Alot of shops over here luv to jack up prices so we'll see.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #31

Nothing beats cash. Like everybody else the independent shops are hurting. Take 5 minutes per place and talk to the owners. You'll be surprised what you can work out if you're not writing a check or using your Visa. Just make it clear that you don't need a receipt. Unfortunately I didn't have the option of not driving until it was fixed. I'm self employed and have to drive from client to client. There's about 60 miles between my two furthest, who ironically are the same company with 2 locations. I just made sure to only put in $10 at a time so the puddle wasn't too big, or to fill up when it was raining for a couple weeks until I got a chance to take care of it.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nothing beats cash. Like everybody else the independent shops are hurting. Take 5 minutes per place and talk to the owners. You'll be surprised what you can work out if you're not writing a check or using your Visa. Just make it clear that you don't need a receipt. Unfortunately I didn't have the option of not driving until it was fixed. I'm self employed and have to drive from client to client. There's about 60 miles between my two furthest, who ironically are the same company with 2 locations. I just made sure to only put in $10 at a time so the puddle wasn't too big, or to fill up when it was raining for a couple weeks until I got a chance to take care of it.
Yea that was quite a distance so I could understand. Im tired of taking the bus, subway, miss the stang so I think I might just try your method of $10 here and there
Old 04-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Just remember no receipt means no proof. They can't warranty their work, so if they missed something, broke something, used inferior parts or something just goes wrong they will deny doing the repair and charge you twice for what should of been payed for once.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 04-03-2010, 10:46 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just remember no receipt means no proof. They can't warranty their work, so if they missed something, broke something, used inferior parts or something just goes wrong they will deny doing the repair and charge you twice for what should of been payed for once.
True that

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT