Rejection sticker HELP!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to Mustang1804 Send a message via Yahoo to Mustang1804
Rejection sticker HELP!!!

I have a couple issues with the GT I have to fix and im going about it little by little but I recently went in to get an inspection done and failed the inspection, the SES (Service Engine Soon) light was on, failed emissions, I was pissed. My cousin told me I should go re-do the test but before I go to the shop I should go to autozone and have the codes check and then have them clear the codes or I can just unplug the battery for 5min or so then replug it, it would clear the SES light and I might be able to pass. Can anyone tell me if these methods work or anything else...Thank u in advance!!!
Mustang1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1
Re: Rejection sticker HELP!!!

I would scan the codes. Then you can evaluate what the problem might be. Just clearing might work, but without knowing the code, it's impossible to predict.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Scan the codes and see what they are, then fix them and reset the computer by unplugging the battery for 15 minutes (tap the brake to drain the power out of the system after disconnected) and see if they are fixed. Run the codes again even with out a SES light just to make sure nothing is in the system before you go back for inspection.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1 View Post
I would scan the codes. Then you can evaluate what the problem might be. Just clearing might work, but without knowing the code, it's impossible to predict.
Yea im gonna scan the code and see wassup, ill post on here tomorrow or sat
Old 04-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
Scan the codes and see what they are, then fix them and reset the computer by unplugging the battery for 15 minutes (tap the brake to drain the power out of the system after disconnected) and see if they are fixed. Run the codes again even with out a SES light just to make sure nothing is in the system before you go back for inspection.
Yea im going to try and go to autozone tomorrow and scan the codes but regardless, don't have the money to fix the problem right now, just wanted to get my inspection sticker and worry about the problem later u know.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

I don't think disconnecting your battery and having the car re-inspected will work out for you. When they hook their computer up to you car's ECU there needs to be a set number of complete cycles (not sure how many they need) in order for them to Pass or Fail your car. When you disconnect the battery the Check Engine light goes out but you also wipe out all the data stored in your ECU.

First they'll ask you if you had a problem with the battery lately then they'll tell you to drive around for 3-4 days and come back and try again.
2007 Torch Red Mustang GT, Parchment Leather, Saleen Supercharger, SCT X-Cal Programmer,brenspeed.com tunes, Tuned by X-Act Dyno (Tempe, Az) 425rwhp, 4:10 Gears, Axel-back MAC exhaust, Dashhawk OBD-II Computer Monitoring System, Sequential Tail Lights, Halo Driving Lights, Eagle Eye Headlights with 6000K HID's, Clear Turn Signal Lenses, Projector Switchback Bulbs, Painted White LeMans Style Stripes, CDC Aggressive chin spoiler, Billet hood pins, Pirelli P-Zero P255 40 ZR19 wheels mounted on 2014 Mustang GT Wheels
Badinuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badinuf View Post
I don't think disconnecting your battery and having the car re-inspected will work out for you. When they hook their computer up to you car's ECU there needs to be a set number of complete cycles (not sure how many they need) in order for them to Pass or Fail your car. When you disconnect the battery the Check Engine light goes out but you also wipe out all the data stored in your ECU.

First they'll ask you if you had a problem with the battery lately then they'll tell you to drive around for 3-4 days and come back and try again.
Really? That sux!!!!!
Old 04-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Vermont

I'd check your gas cap make sure it's tight, could be that simple.

02 GT 5 spd. Best 1/4 12.28 @ 112mph
67mustang97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:51 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Yea, the OBDII system has to complete a driving cycle where all the monitors test themselves and pass. If you unplug your battery you should drive it for a few days or over 100 miles in order to give it time to reset. If the SES comes back on then you will have to repair the problem before getting a sticker. There is no way around it.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
Yea, the OBDII system has to complete a driving cycle where all the monitors test themselves and pass. If you unplug your battery you should drive it for a few days or over 100 miles in order to give it time to reset. If the SES comes back on then you will have to repair the problem before getting a sticker. There is no way around it.
Yea dang, its not my gas cap being loose, I tried tightening it and the SES light is still on, I don't have the money right now to put into any repairs so idk thanks for the info
Old 04-16-2010, 10:48 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Only thing I can tell you... talk around, be blatant. Go to inspection shops that are holes in the walls and try to find someone that you can 'TIP' for a sticker.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:16 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

Yeah my girlfriends car was having the same problem, we tried to just disconnect the battery and get it inspected and that didn't work.

I ended up buying a code reader, wrote down the codes, then cleared them, then disconnected the battery and connected it back, it then passed inspection without any problems and the code was a simple sensor problem that really had nothing to do with the performance of the car but it tripped the CEL
-SLP Exhaust, SCT Chip, BBK Cold Air, BBK Underdrive Pulleys, C&L Intake Plenum, 75mm BBK Throttle Body-
SPeterson212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #13
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

Gotta love when that happens. (sarcasm) I know here you have to drive for about 50-100 miles. My mechanic did that for me once on my old car.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

Yeah it was a pain, but whatever, it got the job done.
-SLP Exhaust, SCT Chip, BBK Cold Air, BBK Underdrive Pulleys, C&L Intake Plenum, 75mm BBK Throttle Body-
SPeterson212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT