new Pennzoil full synthetic - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-10-2006, 01:27 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
new Pennzoil full synthetic

yeah, I know regular Pennzoil isn't really that good for a Ford engine, but what about this full synthetic stuff? It's WAY cheaper than the others... in fact, it's as cheap as the synthetic blend I'm using. I'm just wondering if it's ok for the engine? It's 5W-30... full synthetic... their new "Platinum" stuff. Any opinions?

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2006, 01:43 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Re: new Pennzoil full synthetic

Any synthetic is better than a blend or regular oil PERIOD!!!!
Old 06-11-2006, 05:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to powerhungry966

full synthetic is a very strong compound that has this "cleaner" type deal to it where it keeps the motor cleaner.. since ur car is new start using ful synthetic.. its soo much better royal purple is proven to gain up to 3 hp+

1989 coupe 5.0 yeessur.
"Shake n bake"
powerhungry966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2006, 09:11 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

Mobile 1. That's all that gets put in my engine.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 09:32 AM   #5
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to RGR

(Torco, Royal Purple, a few others) > anything you can buy @ walmart
Old 06-11-2006, 10:34 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

OK I have posted it before but I was an analyst in a oil study where I worked on some 100 company vehicles. We used conventional and regular oil. We used every major brand available and used about every brand of filter also.

After the tests were done and analyzed we found some things we expected and some we didn't

1. All synthetics out perform all conventional oils PERIOD
2. All filters performed as advertised in filtering to the micron size they claim to filter to.
3. The difference between synthetics is minimal. The difference in cost did not make the difference. The highest priced oils such as Royal Purple, Amsoil did not perform any better than Mobil, Castrol any other major brand.
4. The test used spectrometric analysis and Cutting filters open and studying particles the filter collected. We also used a vacuum particle tester to see what particles passed through a filter
5. We also found that wix, fram, motorcraft, delco, Bosch, purolator, K&N all performed as advertised. We never encountered any problems with any of the filters as some urban legends suggest.

So in a nutshell whether you spend $3 or $6 a qt on synthetic oil you are well protected. The difference in price is not a indication of higher performance. Also using any of the name brand filters will meet or exceed any manufacturer specs

There are no magic filters and no magic oil!!!!!

Now saying that I like most people have a favorite brand to use and that is human nature. I grew up at a time when Quaker State was the oil people cursed because they used wax based products to increase viscosity in their oil causing sludge buildup. But their synthetic oil was tested to par with the other synthetics tested but I still have a mental block about buying their products.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:03 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
OK I have posted it before but I was an analyst in a oil study where I worked on some 100 company vehicles. We used conventional and regular oil. We used every major brand available and used about every brand of filter also.

After the tests were done and analyzed we found some things we expected and some we didn't

1. All synthetics out perform all conventional oils PERIOD
2. All filters performed as advertised in filtering to the micron size they claim to filter to.
3. The difference between synthetics is minimal. The difference in cost did not make the difference. The highest priced oils such as Royal Purple, Amsoil did not perform any better than Mobil, Castrol any other major brand.
4. The test used spectrometric analysis and Cutting filters open and studying particles the filter collected. We also used a vacuum particle tester to see what particles passed through a filter
5. We also found that wix, fram, motorcraft, delco, Bosch, purolator, K&N all performed as advertised. We never encountered any problems with any of the filters as some urban legends suggest.

So in a nutshell whether you spend $3 or $6 a qt on synthetic oil you are well protected. The difference in price is not a indication of higher performance. Also using any of the name brand filters will meet or exceed any manufacturer specs

There are no magic filters and no magic oil!!!!!

Now saying that I like most people have a favorite brand to use and that is human nature. I grew up at a time when Quaker State was the oil people cursed because they used wax based products to increase viscosity in their oil causing sludge buildup. But their synthetic oil was tested to par with the other synthetics tested but I still have a mental block about buying their products.
With that being said, I'll keep using my mobil1 and fram lol.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:07 AM   #8
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Was Torco among those tested? Oil Extreme?

Not being argumentative, but new data on Oil Extreme at least sheds new
light on oils in general. I'll paste my article I copied. In short, Oil Extreme
has found a way to get higher amounts of the additive all oil companies use
up to any level desired, whereas normal oils can only get ~.5% of it in suspension. Higher useful levels have been sought for a long time.

George French is the inventor, and David Vizard tested it and gae it

Here's the article:

Re-engineered Calcium Petroleum Sulfonate Complex as an Effective Extreme Pressure Agent

OIL EXTREME™ technology developed by JSL Technologies represents a departure from current additive formulations by re-engineering conventional overbased calcium petroleum sulfonate to achieve an effective, economical and environmentally responsible extreme pressure agent without the use of chlorinated materials, heavy organometallics or other solid materials suspended in oil. The formulations resulting from the re-engineering process allows OIL EXTREME™ technology to be applied to automotive and industrial lubricants without compromising the proven safety of standard additive packages while at the same time improving the performance and extending the effective life of the lubricant.

Despite the current high level of engine oil technology driven by the demand for ever increasing engine design sophistication, the mandate for fewer emissions and less disposal of used oils, demand still exists for additives that address extreme pressure and boundary lubrication conditions that are not being met by the lubricants industry. This vacuum has created a booming aftermarket oil additive industry that has relied upon sensationalized claims and questionable chemistries that put both the consumer and the environment at risk.

While their technology is based on debatable chemistry, these companies producing aftermarket additives with extreme pressure properties do have a valid point in that if an extreme pressure property is imparted to a lubricant such as an engine oil, a significant amount of friction will be eliminated. This significant friction reduction will result in, as a matter of course, reduced fuel consumption, reduced component wear, increased power and a reduced tendency of the oil base to oxidize. By re-engineering overbased calcium petroleum sulfonate to impart extreme pressure properties, JSL Technologies has overcome the problems previously associated with highly overbased calcium carbonate complex chemistries and has developed a safe and effective alternative to chlorinated materials in engine oils, gear lubes, greases and specialty lubricants.

THE NEED FOR EXTREME PRESSURE AGENTS IN ENGINE OIL FORMULATIONS
While the lubrication industry continues to respond to significant drivers requiring better base oils and additives packages, it is important to note that most current engine oil formulations do not address the extreme pressure requirements of engines. This stems from the conventional formulation philosophy that there are no extreme pressure conditions inside an engine. Even the American Petroleum Institute (API) tests do not call for extreme pressure performance from engine oils, however numerous studies have confirmed the presence of extreme pressure conditions during cold cranking, sudden accelerations, heavy loads and extremely high temperature operating conditions. At best, engine oils are formulated with anti-wear additives which are very "mild" extreme pressure agents.

The common chemical compound used as an anti-wear agent is ZDDP or Zinc Diaikyldithiophosphate. ZDDP is the anti-wear agent of choice among formulators because of its overall cost effectiveness, i.e, it works as both an anti-wear agent and an antioxidant

The fact remains that there is much to be gained from incorporating extreme pressure agents in engine oil formulations. There is no argument that extreme pressure conditions do indeed exist in an engine during the course of normal engine operations. This is especially true for modern engines with tight tolerances. To disregard this in formulation works is a great disservice to the motoring public, industry and the environment.

Tribology recognizes that the actual engineering surfaces of sliding metals are only 10% to 20% of the actual geometric surfaces. Under extreme magnification, what appears to be a smooth metal surface to the naked eye is actually a landscape of microscopic "hills and valleys" or asperities. The engineering surface, or the 10% to 20% of the geometric surface, is the actual surface in contact with the same engineering surface of another metal. If the "valleys" are covered with a film, known as a Tribochemical Film, such in that the area of the engineering surfaces are increased, the structural load bearing capacity of the sliding metals can be significantly increased.

Furthermore, the "hills" that are actually weld points can be smoothed out and effectively reduce the "drag" or coefficient of friction between the sliding surfaces.

Even under boundary lubrication conditions and extreme pressure when the oil film can no longer offer any protection, the Tribochemical Film can actually substitute for the lost oil film and protect the sliding metals from welding, deformation or abrasion.

In the past, a number of chemicals have been used to create this film. The conventional chemicals used in engine oils are based on sulfur and phosphorus chemistries. These chemistries produce weak films. Previously referred to, ZDDP is a weak extreme pressure agent because it is easily abraded during boundary lubrication conditions and is easily depleted because of its additional role as an antioxidant. Furthermore, it is now under close scrutiny for its toxicity and poisonous effects on catalytic converters, thus its permissible amounts in formulations are being limited.

Others use graphite and other solid materials such as Teflon and micro-metal powders suspended in oil, making unsubstantiated claims to their effectiveness while ignoring the tendency for these solids to settle out of suspension and/or agglomerate in oil passageways. Prior to banning its use by the United States, highly toxic lead naphthenate was also marketed.

The most sensationalized additives to date are the chlorinated paraffins and related products found in late night T.V. "Infomercial" offerings. These are very strong extreme pressure agents that readily decompose for chlorine to react with metals to form metal chloride films. While effective as an extreme pressure agent, there are a number of serious problems associated with such materials. First of all, chlorinated hydrocarbons work as extreme pressure agents through the reaction of chlorine with iron to form ferric chloride films under critical pressure and temperature. This leaves the decomposed hydrocarbon portion deficient in electrons turning them into sludge precursors. Excess chlorine released during the decomposition reacts with water in the oil to form hydrochloric acid which in turn accelerates the depletion of the alkaline reserves of the oil. Depletion of the alkaline reserve necessitates an early oil change, increasing stress on the environment by adding to the amounts of waste oil in circulation.

Secondly, used oil recyclers have problems processing used oil with chlorine content. Chlorine naturally evolves hydrochloric acids that corrode fractionation towers during processing.

Thirdly, government regulators are seriously looking at chlorinated paraffins and similar materials for possible regulation. Already, the National Toxicology Program has determined that certain chlorinated paraffins are carcinogenic. Partial oxidation of chlorinated hydrocarbons may form dioxin which is extremely carcinogenic.

It must be said that the right kind of chlorinated materials can be properly incorporated into an engine oil formulation in order to take advantage of the extreme pressure property while eliminating the side effects of their decomposition products. However, the overall formulation must be done such that the standard additive package is not compromised and unwanted partial oxidation and decomposition products are not formed. Experienced oil formulators have successfully used chlorine in railroad engine oils and in synthetic oil formulations. Unfortunately, most compounders of chlorinated aftermarket additives resort to sensationalism instead of sound chemistry. Some in fact recommend treatment rates up to 20%, thereby compromising 20% of the required standard additive package as mandated by an appropriate API rating.

OIL EXTREME™ TECHNOLOGY
JSL Technologies has developed a highly effective, non-chlorinated, non-sulfurized, non-leaded extreme pressure agent based on the calcium carbonate complex technology. Its chemistry is based on conventional, time-tested overbased calcium petroleum sulfonate.

Overbased calcium petroleum sulfonate is used traditionally by major additive manufacturers as alkaline reserves or alkaline boosters in engine oils. Its use as the alkaline reserve of choice in engine oil formulations by most oil majors is a testament of its safety as an ingredient in engine oil formulations.

JSL Technologies has re-engineered the conventional overbased calcium petroleum sulfonate such that it acquires an extreme pressure property besides maintaining its inherent alkalinity and anticorrosion properties. The re-engineering process does not in any way alter the basic configuration of the molecules such that the general formula of such molecules is still maintained. This is an important factor because the safeness of the compound as an ingredient in an engine oil formulation is derived from the expensive No-Harm Test done by the oil majors on their conventional overbased calcium petroleum sulfonate.

The extreme pressure property of calcium carbonate complexes in the OIL EXTREME™ technology is a function and balance of the following attributes.

* Total Base Number (TBN) value
* Molecular diameter of the carbonate in the micelles.
* Crystalline structure of the carbonate molecules, and
* Sulfonate to carbonate ratio

The interplay and balance of the four attributes are critical. The success of JSL Technologies is in its being able to determine the critical constants, ratios and numbers based on tribological theory of its own. It is this working theory that separates JSL Technologies from the others, making it possible to formulate an effective extreme pressure agent from overbased calcium petroleum sulfonate where others have failed.

The traditional overbased calcium petroleum sulfonate used by the oil majors in conventional engine oil formulations have TBN values of 300 or less. These compounds exhibit very little extreme pressure property. There are off-the-shelf overbased calcium petroleum sulfonates in the market today with TBN values of 400 or more, but they are either crystalline or have carbonate molecules in the micelles which do not have the critical numbers in the size distribution curve. Moreover, the sulfonate to carbonate ratio has to be just right in order to maintain stability of the micelles in the final oil formulation.

Failure to achieve any of these critical numbers above can result in the following quality concerns:

1. Lack of extreme pressure property
2. Precipitation of carbonates in long term storage
3. Oil haziness, or
4. Phase separation

The re-engineered overbased calcium petroleum sulfonate complex with inherent extreme pressure, high alkalinity and anticorrosion properties in the foundation of the OIL EXTREME™ technology. OIL EXTREME™ product lines are based upon and are derivatives of the OIL EXTREME™ technology

ADVANTAGES OF OIL EXTREME TECHNOLOGY
OIL EXTREME™ technology offers a number of advantages over the highly sensationalized aftermarket extreme pressure additives based on chlorine chemistry. First, when the calcium carbonates separate from the complex to form the Tribochemical Film on the surface of the metals, the remaining molecule, calcium petroleum sulfonate, becomes a strong detergent. This enhances the detergency and dispersancy of the engine oil. In the case of chlorinated paraffins, the dissociated hydrocarbons become free radicals that turn into sludge precursors.

Secondly, any free calcium carbonates that are either abraded from the Tribochemical Film or dissociated from the complex, become active alkaline that boost further the TBN reserves in the oil.

Thirdly, the calcium petroleum sulfonates are polar molecules. The sulfonate pole of the molecule bonds to the metals during hydrodynamic lubrication while its light petroleum end, an alkylate, forms the contact with the oil, forming a secondary film that provides a lower coefficiency of friction between itself and the oil film. This has tremendous implication on the governing coefficient of friction of the oil in a hydrodynamic regime. This is especially significant in heavy duty engines. Lower coefficient of friction, of course, would mean reduced energy consumption and improved fuel economy.

SUMMARY
The re-engineering of calcium petroleum sulfonate complex by JSL Technologies to create the OILEXTREME™ technology not only raises the bar in extreme pressure protection formulations but also represents an environmentally responsible alternative to the use of hazardous substances in automotive and industrial lubricants to increase performance.

FIELD TESTING AND USAGE

JSL Technologies has been responsible for introducing OIL EXTREME™ technology in ever-increasing testing and use in NHRA top Fuel Funny Cars and Pro Stock motorcycles, NASCAR Winston Cup, Busch Series and Winston West, and World of Outlaws Sprint Cars.

In the UK, it is used in Formula 1, Formula 3, and the OIL EXTREME™ Formula 600 Championship Series. There and in the US, it is used in Go Karts.

A following is growing in AMA Grand National motorcycling, Motocross, and Snowmobiles.

Some national records have already been set in every form of racing, engine builders report smoother running engines, lower operating temperatures, and little or no wear evident at routine teardowns.

Ongoing and additional field trials continue to demonstrate the effectiveness of OIL EXTREME™ technology in a number of applications using engine oils, gear lubes, greases and specialty lubricants. Results indicated improved fuel economy, reduced heat and improved equipment performance.

Contact JSL Technologies, Inc. for further information. 888-619-1800

Looks interesting to say the least, Vizard does nto endorse anything that does not work! I saw the article DV wrote first hand.
RGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:11 AM   #9
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

PS: What I was referring to is that the new SF/SG designations are said to
contain LESS of the desirable additive packages than the
older categories. Some oil companies are dumbing down their oils to make more
$$$ by selling a cheaper to produce product for a higher price at the expense
of our engines. Go figure
Old 06-11-2006, 11:38 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR
Was Torco among those tested? Oil Extreme?
No they were not. The test were conducted in 99-2000. Since then a few new products have come out but most are just companies shifting to Synthetic or blends.

Exactly how much do these products cost!!!

I ask this question for a reason. We simply change oil to remove contaminants produced in the oil. You also have to change conventional oil because it has viscosity breaks down. Synthetics dont break down with normal engine use. If a product cost $7 a qt or more it is not practical or cost effective if you are going to replace it every 6000-8000 miles. I will say High dollar filters are also so unnecessary and a total waste

I am not going to argue about a product I dont really know about and if it is a vast improvement over current synthetic oils and cost under 4 a qt I would look further into it. But after the oil testing I was a part of I am satisified with the products currently on the market and their performance and ability to protect my engines.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:20 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Amsoil (spelling) has been proven to be better than Mobile 1, its some of the best you can buy... if you are interested in running the best at least.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:56 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
Amsoil (spelling) has been proven to be better than Mobile 1, its some of the best you can buy... if you are interested in running the best at least.
Actually in real world test Amsoil showed no appreciable advantage to Most of the synthetics.

The tests

1. We cut open the filter being used and under a microscope checked for heavy metals they would indicate bearing wear. The first indication of wear and pre- mature engine failure.
2. We used Spectometeric oil analysis by burning the oil and seeing what entrained metals or particles were suspended in the oil. Again the metals would indicate the amount of wear.
3. We did viscosity test to determine the effectiveness of the oil at change. This is where conventional oils lose bad. Almost all conventional oils lost viscosity especially if used after 4000 miles. Synthetic oils lost almost no viscosity at 7-8000 miles unless the engine it came out of was found to have worn rings or leaking seals or gaskets. When such a vehicle was found in the test we removed it from the sampling
4. We did vacuum pull test to extract impurities out of the oil and to analyze the content

After all this Amsoil though a good product did not show vast improvement over off the shelf Synthetic oils.

My problem with most products on the market is hype by the manufacturer. It does not matter if it is Oil, Air filters, CAI, UDP, oil filters, Gasoline, sparkplugs they are all products being sold on the market and marketers will say anything to sell there products especially if they are more expensive than others.

So my take If you can find Amsoil at a deal get it. I wont spend 2-3 dollars more when I know the truth
Old 06-11-2006, 01:12 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
My problem with most products on the market is hype by the manufacturer. It does not matter if it is Oil, Air filters, CAI, UDP, oil filters, Gasoline, sparkplugs they are all products being sold on the market and marketers will say anything to sell there products especially if they are more expensive than others.
Exactly. I'm gonna continue using Motorcraft synthetics and call it a day. I know that my first oil change on the '06 (@ about 2700 miles) was the cleanest oil I had ever seen come out of an engine. You could still see straight through it. It had not blackened in the least bit.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 01:17 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

hummm I read a test study , the one where they run the oil for 80 hours and what not, and it showed to be much better lasting 240 hours easy~ ill try to hunt it down. It was afterall the first synthetic made.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:25 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
hummm I read a test study , the one where they run the oil for 80 hours and what not, and it showed to be much better lasting 240 hours easy~ ill try to hunt it down. It was afterall the first synthetic made.
But who's study??? What was it tested against???? Like I said we went into this study blind. First not knowing what oil was going into what truck or the filters being used. Before this test I had been sold on Royal Purple and this was back when there were much fewer distributors and very little price break. After the testing I went back to using Castrol my favorite for years

In these test we were expecting to find Amsoil and Royal Purple to be a vast improvement and they weren't when using their own data and comparing it to our real world data. They were among the best products tested but so were other off the shelf brands

Like I said Amsoil is a good product. I am just not going to pay a premium for it.

That is the same for people who spend way to much for a oil filter like a K&N oil filter. They do nothing more than a conventional oil filter but 3 to 4 times the price and you are going to throw it away. I am not a advocate of throwing money away.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Ill have to find it, its an independent study that all oils go through~ I dont think it will really matter if I do find it cuz you will still have to be correct lol
Old 06-11-2006, 02:12 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

I will not buy a Fram filter. I know Fram has had to pay for at least 10 new engines in the past 5 years just by claims filed by Advance Auto customers alone. But who's to say if it was owner/operator error. However, I seriously doubt they would pay for a new engine if they could prove it was not the fault of the filter~

My .02
Old 06-11-2006, 03:00 PM   #18
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
...My problem with most products on the market is hype by the manufacturer. It does not matter if it is Oil, Air filters, CAI, UDP, oil filters, Gasoline, sparkplugs they are all products being sold on the market and marketers will say anything to sell there products especially if they are more expensive than others...
So far the Torco and Oil Extreme are pretty much being sold over the web
and by word of mouth from satisfied users. Oil Extreme is an additive product
but also sells oil with the greater quantities of additive already in the oils.

Your above statements are true, and hype does sell lots of stuff. I tested splitfire sparkplugs and they did not even run as well as old used plugs on
a 4 cylinder turbo car I had, and the splitfires were the correct application!
I took them out and returned them, and cleaned the old ones and re-used them
Old 06-11-2006, 06:46 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

For a filter, I use K&N exclusively. They've got the 1" nut on the end that makes removal so easy. That's enough for me.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:49 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1
For a filter, I use K&N exclusively. They've got the 1" nut on the end that makes removal so easy. That's enough for me.
Why do you need a 1" nut you OVERTIGHTENING *****!!!!!

I put mine on and take it off with my hand YOU WHIMPY BASTARD !!!!!

If you use a wrench to put it on you are a goober
If you need it to take it off the installer was a Neanderthal PERIOD

You uncivilized neanderthal!!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2006, 06:53 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Ill have to find it, its an independent study that all oils go through~ I dont think it will really matter if I do find it cuz you will still have to be correct lol
No I am correct because I was part of a study that did not care who was on top and real world test rule in my book. I also went to Amsoil and read the infomation and read testimonials and found some people went back to using Mobile One
Old 06-11-2006, 07:07 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

well, I suppose I'm going to start using the full synthetic Pennzoil platinum 5W-30 then...

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 06-11-2006, 07:10 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow
I will not buy a Fram filter. I know Fram has had to pay for at least 10 new engines in the past 5 years just by claims filed by Advance Auto customers alone. But who's to say if it was owner/operator error. However, I seriously doubt they would pay for a new engine if they could prove it was not the fault of the filter~

My .02
Fram is the largest filter maker in the US owning nearly half of the market. They made the first spin on filter as original equiptment on all 56 Fords. I have cut hundreds of filters open and I will tell you all of them are near identical inside. There are a few exceptions but then again all the filters tested did as advertised or better

And to be honest FRAM LOVED YOU

When you are on top everyone guns for you. With the millions upon millions of filters they sell could some be faulty Maybe. How many cars have the big automakers had to recall in 2002 you ask 19,000,000!!!! that is 19 million in one year. Whos fault is that HUMMMM!!! What is the failure rate of any other oil filters???? Come now you dont think they have any?????

Really the fram thing is a urban legend.

I still use fram from time to time if the place I go to does not have Motorcraft. Never seen a engine failure do to a oil filter but I monitor my engine better than most
Old 06-11-2006, 07:11 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy beaner
well, I suppose I'm going to start using the full synthetic Pennzoil platinum 5W-30 then...
Motorcraft also has a full synthetic in 5W-30 that you may want to look into. I'm not sure how much Penzoil runs for, but I know it is nearly half the price of Mobil 1.

Scary stuff.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:21 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

I will look and see if they have it... I couldn't believe this stuff was as cheap as it was though... seriously, under $3 a quart for full syn. The Syn blend is $2.87.. that's close enough for me.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:06 AM   #26
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
I will look and see if they have it... I couldn't believe this stuff was as cheap as it was though... seriously, under $3 a quart for full syn. The Syn blend is $2.87.. that's close enough for me.
That's really good for full synth!
The website I read about oils uses 1 quart synth and the rest dino-oils, (torco)
due to the fact dino-oil clings better in most cases. (that means dinosaur oil)
Old 06-12-2006, 09:15 AM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Mobile 1

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:50 AM   #28
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbstang
Mobile 1
+1

Thats all my motor has seen in it.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:51 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

i have used pennzoil fully synthetic the last two times and it has worked just fine. i just bought mobile 1 though... im going to see if i can tell a difference.

Mods: MAC Dual Catback Exhaust, MAC Shorty Headers, CAI, Sequential Taillights, 03 17" Cobra Rims

My Garage
electricstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:35 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

If you guys seriously think you will be able to tell a "difference" from using a different brand of synthetic oil...

Sugar pills are the cure for AIDS.

Scary stuff.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:57 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302
If you guys seriously think you will be able to tell a "difference" from using a different brand of synthetic oil...

Sugar pills are the cure for AIDS.
Exactly!!! Damn you guys buy all the hype the advertisers put out. Oil is Oil Synthetic is synthetic. You buy the brand you want but dont believe for a minute you are getting something special paying more cause you are not.

And remember this Mobil Oil owned Montgomery Wards MUHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 06-13-2006, 06:24 PM   #32
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Entirely different case, but I did "tell a difference" (felt like 10 RWHP)
when I went from old dino-oil to synthetic blend... mileage went up too.

The Lubrication Development website (lubedev.com) stated that all off-the-shelf
oils are exactly like Corey says, they just state that Torco is unique. And the guy
is a lubrication engineer with patents in the lube tester field. The bottom line is he
agrees with Corey. He also endorses using synthetic blends, however, he just
uses 1 quart of full synth and the rest mineral oils. But he uses Torco.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:54 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to powerhungry966

what about those mobile 1 1500mi.. 7000mi.. are those proven to really be clean for thattt long?? and another question, should i have used fullysynthetic oil in a motor that has 150k on it? because first off, i dont know what the previous owners had given it.. second, the oil was really really black when i changed it.. (so theres no telling when they last changed it)

1989 coupe 5.0 yeessur.
"Shake n bake"
powerhungry966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:35 AM   #34
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhungry966
what about those mobile 1 1500mi.. 7000mi.. are those proven to really be clean for thattt long?? and another question, should i have used fullysynthetic oil in a motor that has 150k on it? because first off, i dont know what the previous owners had given it.. second, the oil was really really black when i changed it.. (so theres no telling when they last changed it)
There is no amount of miles that would prevent you from using Synthetic oil. You can switch back and forth from regular oil to synthetic oil all you want and have no ill effects. I would not do it but you can.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:57 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhungry966
You would need to flush the engine to get the build up and depsoits from the old oil out before syn oil would be of much benefit~

I believe the oil has been proven to maintain it's purity for that long, but the sad part is that the filter does NOT last that long. So you'll either find yourself under the car changing your filter and putting another quart in, or you might as well just do a complete change since you're down there anyway.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT