calling dangerdude! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-17-2006, 05:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
calling dangerdude!

dd, are you familiar with ford's 4.6 v8? had a coolant leak where thermostat housing meets the intake. found out the intake is cracked right there also. got one on the way. prior to my discovery i thought maybe the thermostat housing was warped, not so. it looks pretty straight forward to change. should i replace injector o rings when i take them off, or just see if they're in good shape? one guy told me i can't get replacement o rings unless i get new injectors. doesn't sound right to me. also, when i put the thermostat down into the recessed area for it, i can wiggle it side to side. almost 1/16 inch, almost. far as i know it should be pretty snug. any thoughts, advice?
white 98 gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2006, 06:06 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Re: calling dangerdude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by white 98 gt
dd, are you familiar with ford's 4.6 v8? had a coolant leak where thermostat housing meets the intake. found out the intake is cracked right there also. got one on the way. prior to my discovery i thought maybe the thermostat housing was warped, not so. it looks pretty straight forward to change. should i replace injector o rings when i take them off, or just see if they're in good shape? one guy told me i can't get replacement o rings unless i get new injectors. doesn't sound right to me. also, when i put the thermostat down into the recessed area for it, i can wiggle it side to side. almost 1/16 inch, almost. far as i know it should be pretty snug. any thoughts, advice?
You can get injector O Rings seperately but personally if they are in good sondition I would use either parker lube or in a pinch some vaseline. As far as the thermostat I would use permatex sealant around the recess are and place the thermostat straight down applying pressure. when it becomes tacky place some permatex on the contact area of the housing and place it down on the theromstat and tighten down. Try not to let it wiggle
Old 06-17-2006, 08:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
You can get injector O Rings seperately but personally if they are in good sondition I would use either parker lube or in a pinch some vaseline. As far as the thermostat I would use permatex sealant around the recess are and place the thermostat straight down applying pressure. when it becomes tacky place some permatex on the contact area of the housing and place it down on the theromstat and tighten down. Try not to let it wiggle
thermostat housing has an o ring instead of gasket.tried using blue gasket maker on beveled edge of housing, held for 3 weeks. started leaking agai, that's when i found the crack. on this plastic intake the front runner is a coolant passage. on the improved intake the front passage is aluminum, the rest of the intake still plastic. where the fuel lines run to the fuel rail, it's held on by a spring lock. have a tool i used when i changed the fuel filter while back, but won't fit to unlock that spring. it's a 1/4 inch. happen to know what size? so the o rings on the fuel injectors need just a very light coating of oil or something to help when putting the fuel rail back on, right? thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2006, 09:00 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by white 98 gt
thermostat housing has an o ring instead of gasket.tried using blue gasket maker on beveled edge of housing, held for 3 weeks. started leaking agai, that's when i found the crack. on this plastic intake the front runner is a coolant passage. on the improved intake the front passage is aluminum, the rest of the intake still plastic. where the fuel lines run to the fuel rail, it's held on by a spring lock. have a tool i used when i changed the fuel filter while back, but won't fit to unlock that spring. it's a 1/4 inch. happen to know what size? so the o rings on the fuel injectors need just a very light coating of oil or something to help when putting the fuel rail back on, right? thanks for the help.
I would use the Therrmostat O Ring with some Permatex. I have heard of the intakes cracking there on more than one occasion. I have family in from Mobile tonight and I am head back out on the deck to do more drinking but I will look to see what size my fuel filter tool is and let you know in the morning. I also ahve a Ford Service manual I will look at. Dont use oil on the Injector O rings use vaseline or Parker O Lube O Ring lubricant
Old 06-17-2006, 09:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
I would use the Therrmostat O Ring with some Permatex. I have heard of the intakes cracking there on more than one occasion. I have family in from Mobile tonight and I am head back out on the deck to do more drinking but I will look to see what size my fuel filter tool is and let you know in the morning. I also ahve a Ford Service manual I will look at. Dont use oil on the Injector O rings use vaseline or Parker O Lube O Ring lubricant
ok. have a good time with your family, be safe.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:10 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

I have a Snap-on multi size combo fuel coupling tool so it would not help you but my Ford Service Manual says it requires a 3/8-1/2 tool. I have seen a tool like mine in a NAPA auto parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap on lFuel line spring lock coupling tool.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	13531  
Old 06-18-2006, 12:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Did you get a new intake with the aluminum cross over?
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

steve, yes i got the intake with the aluminum crossover.
dangerdude, thanks for the info.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT