HP GAIN ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Gt.Vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Region: Texas
Posts: 165
Talking HP GAIN ?



im going for it .....

how much gain would i get when this is all done and dynoed...and cost of installing all this on...
as of now before this i have JLT CAI...Borla Stingers Catback, UPR O/R X Pipe...



or should i just save up a lil more for vortech
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1 copy.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	21724  
__________________
2000 V6 VERT- SOLD
2003 GT VERT- SOLD
2004 350Z
Gt.Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
upton7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,756
Re: HP GAIN ?

You check out the specs on that cam and make sure its the kind you want?
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Gt.Vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Region: Texas
Posts: 165
Re: HP GAIN ?

Yea why whts wrong with it?
__________________
2000 V6 VERT- SOLD
2003 GT VERT- SOLD
2004 350Z
Gt.Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-16-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
upton7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,756
Re: HP GAIN ?

Just making sure you've looked at the lift duration lobe seperation and everything cam isn't somethine you just look at and get you need to do some research on whatever cam you get.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 930
Re: HP GAIN ?

imo, skip the intake and get some heads. those new trickflow's look badass. ive heard the intake isnt worth much without forced induction. i dno if youd be happy spending that kind of money on just cams especially if you pay someone to do the work.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Gt.Vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Region: Texas
Posts: 165
Re: HP GAIN ?

yea thats what i was thinking but the freking heads are expensive man.....i dunno imm wait abt a week to decide to get all this or not and just save for a vortech..and gears maybe better route ?
__________________
2000 V6 VERT- SOLD
2003 GT VERT- SOLD
2004 350Z
Gt.Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
upton7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,756
Re: HP GAIN ?

cams are a pretty good upgrade it just can't be taken lightly. Those trick flow heads are pretty good I was about to buy some but bought a 5.4 instead.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 930
Re: HP GAIN ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt.Vert View Post
yea thats what i was thinking but the freking heads are expensive man.....i dunno imm wait abt a week to decide to get all this or not and just save for a vortech..and gears maybe better route ?
i say if youre not doing heads just save for a vortech. you could easily find a used one for 1500 and get way more power than with the cams. not to mention worrying about tearing into the engine and things not running right. i know i worried about that when i was looking to put h/c/i on my v6. ive seen so many cases of mechanics messing up the install and covering their ***. its your choice, but i think you would just be happier with a vortech.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Gt.Vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Region: Texas
Posts: 165
Re: HP GAIN ?

kool yea those were my 2 options ....i guess vortech will do...where the heck will i find one for 1500..they are like 3500 on ebay..and how much hp am i looking at gaining with vortch fully installed ...
__________________
2000 V6 VERT- SOLD
2003 GT VERT- SOLD
2004 350Z
Gt.Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 930
Re: HP GAIN ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt.Vert View Post
kool yea those were my 2 options ....i guess vortech will do...where the heck will i find one for 1500..they are like 3500 on ebay..and how much hp am i looking at gaining with vortch fully installed ...
wow. you can find new ones for 3500. i found several at that price for my v6. in fact i bought one for 1200 a year ago but had to sell it. try svtperformance. all i really know of are the v6 sites so maybe someone else can chime in. i would say 400rwhp or so safely. it really depends on how much boost you wanna run. id also suggest a boost cooler as a safety factor since those vortechs dont have an intercooler. like i said though, im just a v6 guy.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Gt.Vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Region: Texas
Posts: 165
Re: HP GAIN ?

thx man ...or i can go nos?...alot of ppl say u need a tune if ur going to use nos...im thinking abt the zex kit and im not gonna do over 75 shot so do i need like a tune or anything.?
__________________
2000 V6 VERT- SOLD
2003 GT VERT- SOLD
2004 350Z
Gt.Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 930
Re: HP GAIN ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt.Vert View Post
thx man ...or i can go nos?...alot of ppl say u need a tune if ur going to use nos...im thinking abt the zex kit and im not gonna do over 75 shot so do i need like a tune or anything.?
well if you just want the power for the track. you would need a tune anyway. not to mention it will rob your engine of hp in the long run.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
upton7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,756
Re: HP GAIN ?

I would honestly save up and get some trick flow heads and some GOOD cams that will make a big difference.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:05 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 930
Re: HP GAIN ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by upton7 View Post
I would honestly save up and get some trick flow heads and some GOOD cams that will make a big difference.
yea but even so, a supercharger will make more hp. not to mention you can buy a new supercharger for the price of those and labor. the test they did in 5.0 or mmff got them to about 330rwhp with full bolt-ons. that can easily be had with a blower and you dont have to worry about messing with the engine.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Gt.Vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Region: Texas
Posts: 165
Re: HP GAIN ?

I c ... Yea so wht sc should I be looking at getting
__________________
2000 V6 VERT- SOLD
2003 GT VERT- SOLD
2004 350Z
Gt.Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 930
Re: HP GAIN ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt.Vert View Post
I c ... Yea so wht sc should I be looking at getting
well it depends on how much you wanna spend. when i get my shelby i definately want to put a kenne bell on it. to me that is the best supercharger for mustangs. i love the sound and instant throttle response.

that being said, they are very expensive new and are mid $2000's used. vortechs can be had for cheap but i dont like the idea of no intercooler. procharger would be my first choice for a gt though. they are fairly easy to install and are safer than most others.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:10 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Re: HP GAIN ?

You can buy a Magnuson roots style supercharger (identical to the M112 except for smaller size and higher efficiency) with the intercooler for the 2v v8's. The kit is made specifically for the GT's so everything will fit. That's a good buy if you want the roots style blower.

Procharger appeals to me the most centri charger wise since you can get it with a cooling system. They won't have the insta torque like the roots, but will definitely boost power levels.

Of course anytime you run FI on your stock internals, even at low boost and with an intercooler, there is a chance of something failing...just a chance you take, but you're reducing that chance spending the extra money for the intercooler systems. Also don't forget you'll need larger fuel injectors, a bigger fuel pump (SVT focus pump is a direct swap), and a solid tune after the addition of the supercharger.
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 930
Re: HP GAIN ?

the biggest safety factor is the tune. just make sure you bring it to a place that knows what theyre doing.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Re: HP GAIN ?

Exactly, if someone botches your tune, you'll be making your engine block a coffe table stand.
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
upton7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,756
Re: HP GAIN ?

I hope your gettin forged internals or else your just on borrowed time.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 930
Re: HP GAIN ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by upton7 View Post
I hope your gettin forged internals or else your just on borrowed time.
please just stop while youre ahead. im not telling him to run 20psi.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:37 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
upton7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,756
Re: HP GAIN ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
please just stop while youre ahead. im not telling him to run 20psi.
I wouldn't run any kind of boost without at least forged pistons. Anything that doesn't need it isn't worth running.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:00 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 930
Re: HP GAIN ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by upton7 View Post
I wouldn't run any kind of boost without at least forged pistons. Anything that doesn't need it isn't worth running.
ok so to op here's what you should do:

build your entire motor(forged pistons, rods, crank, etc.), get the trickflow heads, intakes, etc. build up your tranny bc that will go soon enough. and then and only then, once you have invested 15k into your car are you ready to supercharge. oh and dont forget your suspension and brakes and everything else.

now back to reality for someone working on a budget-get the used supercharger. you can easily run 7-9psi safely with an intercooler. keep it around 375rwhp or so and youll be more than safe. i believe that up to 400rwhp is considered safe.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:19 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
upton7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,756
Re: HP GAIN ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
ok so to op here's what you should do:

build your entire motor(forged pistons, rods, crank, etc.), get the trickflow heads, intakes, etc. build up your tranny bc that will go soon enough. and then and only then, once you have invested 15k into your car are you ready to supercharge. oh and dont forget your suspension and brakes and everything else.

now back to reality for someone working on a budget-get the used supercharger. you can easily run 7-9psi safely with an intercooler. keep it around 375rwhp or so and youll be more than safe. i believe that up to 400rwhp is considered safe.
lol quit gettin all worked up a forged rotating assembly is like 1800 bucks if you look around. Not 15,000 dollars that is a pretty rediculous number. I never mentioned nething about the trans. All I suggested was trick flow heads and good cams. I know all about the budget of building as I'm doing two budget builds right now. By the way the mustang engine i'm building will not be supercharged turbocharged or sprayed and it's going to put out more than 375.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 930
Re: HP GAIN ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by upton7 View Post
lol quit gettin all worked up a forged rotating assembly is like 1800 bucks if you look around. Not 15,000 dollars that is a pretty rediculous number. I never mentioned nething about the trans. All I suggested was trick flow heads and good cams. I know all about the budget of building as I'm doing two budget builds right now. By the way the mustang engine i'm building will not be supercharged turbocharged or sprayed and it's going to put out more than 375.
okay, the op is asking about installation prices. a shop wanted a grand to do my heads and a cam for a v6. i can only imagine how much the install price would be for a forged rotating assembly. i agree, if he can do the work then by all means go ahead. but that 1800 is enough for a supercharger. now if the op cannot be happy with less than 400rwhp, then he should build his engine. however, if i were gonna invest that much into an engine, id do it right and then stuff 30psi of kb down its throat. and congrats on your 375. i didnt mean for this to turn into an argument.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:30 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
upton7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,756
Re: HP GAIN ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
okay, the op is asking about installation prices. a shop wanted a grand to do my heads and a cam for a v6. i can only imagine how much the install price would be for a forged rotating assembly. i agree, if he can do the work then by all means go ahead. but that 1800 is enough for a supercharger. now if the op cannot be happy with less than 400rwhp, then he should build his engine. however, if i were gonna invest that much into an engine, id do it right and then stuff 30psi of kb down its throat. and congrats on your 375. i didnt mean for this to turn into an argument.
Me niether couldn't tell if you were pissed or not. Sorry I always assume on the person doing the work themselves. I don't really ever figure in labor since I never hire for it.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Re: HP GAIN ?

Yah heads and cams really aren't excessive for the 2v's. There are plenty of guys who do heads and cams then slap on a procharger and push out some impressive numbers. If you have the cash and resources, I say do the heads/cam, it'll set up for anything else you might want to do but if not...it's not an absolute must.
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
upton7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,756
Re: HP GAIN ?

Main reason I say trick flow heads is because they are not like regular 2v cylinder heads that have just been port and polished. The valve is on the opposite side of the cylinder I believe the intake valve is like 1.84 inches in diameter. If you do this and maybe supercharge it later you would be over 400 i'm pretty sure.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 930
Re: HP GAIN ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by upton7 View Post
Main reason I say trick flow heads is because they are not like regular 2v cylinder heads that have just been port and polished. The valve is on the opposite side of the cylinder I believe the intake valve is like 1.84 inches in diameter. If you do this and maybe supercharge it later you would be over 400 i'm pretty sure.
but you could pull 400 to the wheels with just a blower. thats my point. those trickflow heads are badass, i totally agree. and he could go either or and probably be happy. the problem is that just the heads alone cost more than a used supercharger. i would feel 100% safe installing a blower. heads/cams not so much. there are just so many factors that go into that installation.

anyways, i believe we answered his question and should stop trying to confuse him and trail off.

imo, you can get a used blower for under 2000, fuel upgrades for 300 or so and a tune for 400. the work isnt too bad and you can have a badass setup for under 3000. thats my 2 cents.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:56 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 930
Re: HP GAIN ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Yah heads and cams really aren't excessive for the 2v's. There are plenty of guys who do heads and cams then slap on a procharger and push out some impressive numbers. If you have the cash and resources, I say do the heads/cam, it'll set up for anything else you might want to do but if not...it's not an absolute must.
yea but set him up for what? then there only so much you can do with the stock block. that can be reached with just a blower. he can do a blower now and put together an engine on the side for when he gets tired of the 375-400rwhp from the blower. especially if he is gonna pay somebody.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:26 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
Gt.Vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Region: Texas
Posts: 165
Re: HP GAIN ?

whew....omg...so where r we now?...lmao...thx guys for all the info...imm going hunting for a good used sc now...and could u guys point me in the right way of wher to get a used ProCharger since u said thats the best for a gt
__________________
2000 V6 VERT- SOLD
2003 GT VERT- SOLD
2004 350Z
Gt.Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 930
Re: HP GAIN ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt.Vert View Post
whew....omg...so where r we now?...lmao...thx guys for all the info...imm going hunting for a good used sc now...and could u guys point me in the right way of wher to get a used ProCharger since u said thats the best for a gt
check on svtperformance.com. you will have to be patient though. i know its hard
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
Gt.Vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Region: Texas
Posts: 165
Re: HP GAIN ?

will do..thx
__________________
2000 V6 VERT- SOLD
2003 GT VERT- SOLD
2004 350Z
Gt.Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Re: HP GAIN ?

Be cautious when buying used superchargers. It's all good and fine to say go and buy a used supercharger and throw it on...but there are plenty of them out there that are junk. A lot of times people will sell them and not know how many miles are really on them, or they're selling the "kit" and won't have all the parts.

I'd only buy a used supercharger if I knew the person and their maintenance/driving habits, or if it was someone on a forum I knew or was recommended by someone else credible.
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:15 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 930
Re: HP GAIN ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Be cautious when buying used superchargers. It's all good and fine to say go and buy a used supercharger and throw it on...but there are plenty of them out there that are junk. A lot of times people will sell them and not know how many miles are really on them, or they're selling the "kit" and won't have all the parts.

I'd only buy a used supercharger if I knew the person and their maintenance/driving habits, or if it was someone on a forum I knew or was recommended by someone else credible.
yea agreed. if the person doesnt know the mileage or is unsure if all the parts are there just step away. usually if they have been on the forum quite some time and have several posts then you can trust them. if need be you can always get the supercharger rebuilt for a few hundred and still come out way ahead. its you decision though.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
horsepower gain 06mustangsixer Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 7 10-20-2009 10:08 AM
How Much Horsepower did i gain? usmc_mac84 General Mustang Discussion 6 06-16-2008 09:53 PM
How Much Of A Gain Fellas JAYS MUSTANG Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 23 11-06-2006 08:18 AM
hp gain? donnie Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 5 09-29-2006 03:57 PM
how much gain from sct flasher? tedness Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 22 08-02-2005 08:11 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



06:26 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.