New Cams? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-02-2010, 02:55 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
New Cams?

so my buddy is parting out his PI motor and he said i could have the cams for free, now i have a supercharged NON-pi 4.6 would these PI cams be worth the time for me to put in?
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: New Cams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannagofast View Post
so my buddy is parting out his PI motor and he said i could have the cams for free, now i have a supercharged NON-pi 4.6 would these PI cams be worth the time for me to put in?
Not just the cams alone. The performance gains lie within the heads, not the cams.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:27 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

i love how when i have a question about a v8 that makes real power barely anyone response, but with some kid talks about putting an M90 on his sixer you people wet your panties and leave like 6 pages of advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 01:03 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

lol, I have been within 5 minutes of you twice in the past 2 weeks. PI refers to Port Improved heads. The cams are designed for the heads they came on, thus the PI cams are meant to work with the PI heads and thus, will probably not work as well on your non-PI heads. If you want to see decent gains out of them, you need the heads as well. So in short, they are most likely NOT worth it unless you plan on changing heads also. Also, you should check how much "real power" your non-PI v-8 puts out and compare it to the sixers.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i love how when i have a question about a v8 that makes real power barely anyone response, but with some kid talks about putting an M90 on his sixer you people wet your panties and leave like 6 pages of advice
Yea youre car makes real power Ready to wake up yet buddy?
Old 05-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I do believe he is procharged, so probably is putting down some numbers. But there is an obvious answer to a simple question, which probably explains the lack of response...PI cams aren't worth the time on a non PI engine, unless you do the necessary changes to make it PI...

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho

Have to agree it is what it is.
racefan966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

320hp at the ****in wheels *******
Old 05-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

but the problem with head swap is the compression ratio will be too high for a boosted car, but the fact that the lobe of the PI cams are bigger than the non PI cams yeild a decent gain? thats my thought process behind this idea
Old 05-06-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Production cam specs vary between PI and non-PI applications. PI intake lift increased from 12 mm to 13 mm, while exhaust lift grew from 12 mm to 13.75 mm. Interestingly, PI cams have 4 degrees less intake duration than their non-PI counterparts (252 versus 256) but are unchanged in exhaust duration. *taken straight from 5.0 mustang and fast ford* i just need help evaluating these numbers because i dont know what gains would be. is 1 mm intake and 1.75 mm exhaust a big difference in a cam?
Old 05-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Production cam specs vary between PI and non-PI applications. PI intake lift increased from 12 mm to 13 mm, while exhaust lift grew from 12 mm to 13.75 mm. Interestingly, PI cams have 4 degrees less intake duration than their non-PI counterparts (252 versus 256) but are unchanged in exhaust duration. *taken straight from 5.0 mustang and fast ford* i just need help evaluating these numbers because i dont know what gains would be. is 1 mm intake and 1.75 mm exhaust a big difference in a cam?
I did a search for you and here is what i got:

Truth about NPI vs PI

seems you would see some gains from the cams alone. they recommend the intake to go with it. Im not sure what type of blower you have though. I dont appreciate being called an ******* and i figured your car was just a bolt-on car, although 320rwhp isnt all that much
Old 05-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Who you callin A-- Hole? I have 497 hp to the ground with 11psi.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan966 View Post
Who you callin A-- Hole? I have 497 hp to the ground with 11psi.
He was talking to me for my above post. And 497 is what I call real power
Old 05-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Still no need for the put down's and what power you pushing? We sound pretty equal in other power adders. I do need a new paint job now that some jerk when I went on a cruise with it out of town went in the store came out and it was keyed headlight to taillight all the way to the metal. So now what shade of deep candied red do I do now ??? I might even go with the planet of color sense I sell it.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:40 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan966 View Post
Still no need for the put down's and what power you pushing? We sound pretty equal in other power adders. I do need a new paint job now that some jerk when I went on a cruise with it out of town went in the store came out and it was keyed headlight to taillight all the way to the metal. So now what shade of deep candied red do I do now ??? I might even go with the planet of color sense I sell it.
Wait you have 497 in your v6 or another car? All i have are bolt-ons, somewhere in the 190rwhp range. It doesnt have any real power though. Thats why Im saving for something special. And I like the redfire color on the 03 cobra like purevenom. Also like the torch red but not sure how it would look on your style.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:10 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I just get fusterated that everytime i post a legit question it gets over looked for a B.S. question bout "what spoiler should i put on"? or some **** like that. 497?! Stock bottom end?! hope not? hows the T45 liking all that power? i did bolt on a PI intake last year and its a Vortec blower. Now if we could have skipped post #3-#9 this was the kind of advice i would have expected from this site. TigerFan ur info was key and i didnt mean to offend you.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just get fusterated that everytime i post a legit question it gets over looked for a B.S. question bout "what spoiler should i put on"? or some **** like that. 497?! Stock bottom end?! hope not? hows the T45 liking all that power? i did bolt on a PI intake last year and its a Vortec blower. Now if we could have skipped post #3-#9 this was the kind of advice i would have expected from this site. TigerFan ur info was key and i didnt mean to offend you.
Not a problem. I just get aggravated the same way when someone puts down a v6 and thinks the gt's are all that. Both can get the same power on the stock bottom end and handle about the same power overall. So, the v6's should still be respectable cars.

Also, its a whole lot easier for someone to give their opinion on a spoiler than tech info on a cam swap. Hell, I didnt know the answer to your question until I searched for it a bit. I could easily give my opinion on a spoiler or m90 swap since those seem a little more common, especially to the v6 guys.

Good luck to you and whatever route you choose. It might be better to wait and get a set of supercharger cams, unless youre doing all the work yourself and have the free time.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

i do have the free time and plus im gettin the cams for free. i got profesional products t.b and plenum, cams, and shorty headers for free. I would have perferred long tubes but for free ill take the shorties
Old 05-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i do have the free time and plus im gettin the cams for free. i got profesional products t.b and plenum, cams, and shorty headers for free. I would have perferred long tubes but for free ill take the shorties
then there you go. good luck with the install.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT