oil on top of plugs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
oil on top of plugs

So I was changing plugs yesterday and I noticed a a couple of the plugs had a bit of oil on top of the plug. Now, being that I haven't spilled any oil on top of the heads, I wasn't sure where this may have come from. It seems about the only place would be if I had leaky valve covers. The motor is at 144k miles and has never had the valve covers off. Is there something else it might be or should I just go ahead and replace the gaskets? I may as well get some decent valve covers while I'm in there if that's the case.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Re: oil on top of plugs

This was a semi-common problem on the crown vic police cars which ran 5w20 oil and idled all day long.. It was indeed the valve covers - The VC gaskets are cake, so it can't hurt to replace them
Old 05-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post
This was a semi-common problem on the crown vic police cars which ran 5w20 oil and idled all day long.. It was indeed the valve covers - The VC gaskets are cake, so it can't hurt to replace them
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. $35 and not too much effort. What I'm wondering is, are there any "cool" valve covers out there for these cars, or should I just stick with the stock ones?

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. $35 and not too much effort. What I'm wondering is, are there any "cool" valve covers out there for these cars, or should I just stick with the stock ones?
Well Im sure they have them out there, but I think it would look cool if you painted them to match the car. Rob(purevenom) did that with the cobra and I think it looks badass. Ive seen chrome valve covers for your model, but that just looks tacky in my opinion
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Here is a link to some for your model:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...tang&year=2002

That just seems like a lot of money, especially since the sonic blue would look soooo much better.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

yeah, and I really dislike the way those look too. What sort of paint is required for those? Rob, perhaps you can chime in? Is this something I should have a body shop paint or can I manage it at home? Are they clear coated with a special clear? I could turn this into a pretty awesome little project.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yeah, and I really dislike the way those look too. What sort of paint is required for those? Rob, perhaps you can chime in? Is this something I should have a body shop paint or can I manage it at home? Are they clear coated with a special clear? I could turn this into a pretty awesome little project.
Yea youre gonna have to wait to hear from him. I believe he sent them off to be painted though. I really can't see them being that hard to paint yourself though. I mean it wont look too out of place if its a little off like a bumper would.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
Yea youre gonna have to wait to hear from him. I believe he sent them off to be painted though. I really can't see them being that hard to paint yourself though. I mean it wont look too out of place if its a little off like a bumper would.
or... I could pick up an extra set of valve covers (can't be that expensive right ) and when I do the KB install (hopefully in the fall), I can install them then, as everything will be out at that time anyway. Plus, it gives me a long time to have them painted

Old 05-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
or... I could pick up an extra set of valve covers (can't be that expensive right ) and when I do the KB install (hopefully in the fall), I can install them then, as everything will be out at that time anyway. Plus, it gives me a long time to have them painted
Sounds like a plan. Hopefully that engine has plenty more life in it.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
Sounds like a plan. Hopefully that engine has plenty more life in it.
hopefully. The thing that would stop me from getting the KB is if the motor shows signs of significant wear. I'm thinking 6-8 psi intercooled on a rather safe tune. Should set me up for about 375 rwhp. 405 rwhp at 9 psi, but that's pushing it for this motor. I think a leakdown test before KB purchase is required. Last time I did a compression test 7 of 8 were very close to each other and the 8th cylinder was about 20 psi off, but still rather high (and could be related to a plug issue that has since been fixed)

Old 05-10-2010, 06:12 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Rob's valve covers are powder coated. The problem is you can't powder coat plastic. As it has to be put in an oven to cure. The 4V covers are metal. Arn't the 2V's plastic?

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottcobra View Post
Rob's valve covers are powder coated. The problem is you can't powder coat plastic. As it has to be put in an oven to cure. The 4V covers are metal. Arn't the 2V's plastic?
they certainly are. I had thought his might have been powder coated. Worst case scenario... I fixed the leaky gaskets and clean the valve covers very well

Old 05-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

well, I'm having a celebratory coke. Replaced the driver side valve cover gasket today. I was going to do both sides but I had some issues (figured it out without the Haynes Manual) and let's just say frustration is only so good for car work. Anyway, after moving the power steering reservoir, clutch cable, all coil on plugs and injector connections, along with some component of the fuel line I was able to maneuver it around enough to get it out and then back in.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

The biggest thing going on for the 2v valve covers is VHT's wrinkle paint. Chey and I actually did her intake and valve covers on her 5.0 and they came out awesome. They also have non wrinkle paint that is pretty sick.

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

show me... and now I've developed a misfire so I get to chase that down. I think tomorrow I will swap back to the old plugs and if that doesn't work, I'll swap to the factory coil on plugs and see if I can chase this misfire out. Otherwise I'll have to have the Ford dealer run a diagnostic

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT