Need HELP! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-20-2006, 06:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to 98StangGT
Need HELP!

My car is shaking very bad only threw throttle response and at idle it sounds like its knocking, its very very annoying, the car shakes bad only threw throttle respomse mainly, wat can I do to STOP it!?
98StangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2006, 06:14 PM   #2

Re: Need HELP!

sounds like you might have some distributor problems
rowehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 10:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Cool Re: Need HELP!

Check for vacuum leaks you may have a hose off or a split in one. check fuel pressure too but its more likely a vacuum leak then fuel pressure also check your plugs and wires I dont know much about a 98 but check the normal tune-up things too. make sure your intake air tube is not letting in air that is not seen by your MAF sensor and if all this checks good run a compression test on it if that is good you may have a leaking intake gasket. Just check every thing good and pull the codes to help you out. hope this helps
eagle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2006, 02:24 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98StangGT View Post
My car is shaking very bad only threw throttle response and at idle it sounds like its knocking, its very very annoying, the car shakes bad only threw throttle respomse mainly, wat can I do to STOP it!?
ok, little hard to understand.

but your car is shaking when you accelerate sounds to me like an ignition/timing problem. could be fuel related as well, so id replace the fuel filter to take that out of the equation.

do normal maintenance like plugs/wires/dist cap. run half a can of seafoam through the motor first(pull a vacuum hose and have a buddy keep the motor revving at 3-4k while you sip at the can with the hose, dont just stick the whole hose in the can you will kill the motor and possibly hydrolock), then change out the plugs.

next check timing.

if its an auto, it can also be torque convertor going out. other issues would be a wobble feeling when going from 3-4(od), and slow shifts. if you manually shift your auto 4r70w alot or kick it down from OD(4th) into 3rd with the OD button, the TC gets eaten alive. i should know, i went through 2 of them on my 94 tbird before i got smart and j-modded it with a 3k stall and a tranny cooler, and its now going on 4 years with my sister mobbing it(women drivers, no survivors).

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

If this helps any, but I noticed my car runs alot better at night then during the day, I bought new 02 sensors and MAF today, thought it would fix problem, but still didnt so I returned those parts
Old 09-04-2006, 12:02 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Which engine and transmission have you got in your mustang
Old 09-04-2006, 12:09 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

V8 4.6 SOHC, standard 5 spd, new clutch, and rebuilt tranny bout 2 weeks ago too
Old 09-04-2006, 12:20 AM   #8
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Fuel pump maybe? Fuel Filter?

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:25 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

DID THIS START ALL AT ONCE AND WHAT HAD BEEN DONE TO THE CAR JUST BEFORE IT STARTED"any work, fill up or oil change, wreck' drag racing High revs, or letting a frind borrow it." just any information that will help.
knock you said is that like heavy spark knock "ping like sound"or rod or main knock" more thud or bang like Sound"?
Old 09-04-2006, 12:34 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I just got the car in June, didnt notice it till like late July, but as far as I know, that it has is rebuilt rear end, short shifter, BBK H-pipe, flowmasters, intake, but at idle it has a knock, like evry 2 sec it does it, vey bad during day, but at night not so bad, and it dsnt do it as bad when AC is turned off, but I ran seafoam threw the PCV valve, and the gas tank, didnt really help, I bought new MAF, and o2 sensors, didnt help, so I think I may try new plugs, and fuel filter?
Old 09-04-2006, 12:46 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

though you didnt describe the knock or let me know if anything had happened just before it started. You may try to locate the knock with a stethoscope or just stand there letting it idle just listen for it and see if you can localize it. check the fuel pressure too if its low it may be running lean because of it making it sparkknock the "ping" sound that engine also has a sparknock sensor that controls spark knock by detecting it and retarding the timing to make it stop. it could be plugs let the engine cool down good before you pull them though.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:48 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

k, I will look at my plugs, and probally change them, then i will let yall know, wat its doin, thats for all the advice
Old 09-04-2006, 01:04 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Ok Tex are you anywhere near Baytown A friend I was in the Army with lives there?
just a thought hows the oilpressure if a bearing is gone it will more then likely be very low
Old 09-04-2006, 01:07 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Check the fuel pressure.
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

ok, I dnt live near baytown, I live by the woodlands, but I changed my plugs, and the car is still doing the same thing, but I was running low on fuel, so I filled it up with premium like usual, and the car ran real good for like 3 minutes, then back to its regular routine, with bad idleing, and shakes when I lay on the throttle, so idk wat to try next? I replaced my MAF, o2 sensors, plugs, TPS, I cleaned my IAC, I tryed seafoam, in tank and motor, what should I try next??
Old 09-05-2006, 04:48 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I wished I could hear it myself? I wonder what this knock sounds like if its a high pitch "spark Knock" Or a lower pitch "rod knock or main bearing" or a slapping metalic sound "broke piston skirt. how did the plugs look any one or two look oily or fuel soaked. Could it be bad gas if it has water in it you can buy stuff that will mix with the water to help the motor burn it just ask the auto parts people they will recomend something I'm sure. Really need all the information I can get from you about this knocking sound and what if anything was done to the car just before this started.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:25 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

the knock sounds like a spark knock, but Im not too fimiliar with the diff knocks, but I know for sure its not a metal to metal knock, I got the car in late july noticed it in late june, jus keeps getting worse, my old plugs looked a lil burned round the screw part, and a little bit oil on them too
Old 09-05-2006, 10:58 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Ok.
1. you may have a timing problem of sorts from what little I have read the 4.6 has a crank and a cam position sensor like I said I have never worked on one of those engines but if you get a haynes repair manual it will give you instructions on how to check the timing It may have a spout conector that you will need to pull before you check the base timing this will stop the computer from advancing the timing so it can be checked for base timing. you should find some information on the fan shroud of what the timing should be set at and if there there is a spout connector. "If the base timing is off by very much I'm not sure what the procedure is on the 4.6 to correct it but I'm sure it will explain it in the Haynes repair Manual. or you may want to get a pro. mech. to jump on it up to you "Maybe someone else out there knows more about this feel free to give us your thoughts"
2. If this checks good you may want to hook a fuel pressure guage, " that has a pressure relief on it" to the fuel rail shrader valve for two reasons one to check the fuel pressure and two to get a sample of the fuel. put the pressure relief hose into a clear glass jar and carefully press the relief valve to let some of the fuel go into the jar you may want to do this two or three times for just a secound or two and then wait a few secounds and do it again. if you have some junk or water in the fuel you may get lucky and some of it will come out and you will be able to see it in the jar. I'm not sure what the pressure should be but on the 5.0 its about 39psi so make shure some one holds the hose and the jar so the hose don't blow out you may want to cut a small hole it the lid so you can insert the hose and there will be less chance of it spraying out all over you and the stang.
3. If all this checks good you may want to run a compression test on the motor. at the very least check the coolent for oil and the oil for coolent if you have a blown head gasket they may get mixed up with each other if all else checks good run a compression check on the motor. The oil on the plugs may be coolent if those were the plugs that were in there when you put the cleaner through the intake it may just be some of that left on the plugs.
Well check these things and let us know what you find. Hope this has helped

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT