HELP!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-23-2010, 11:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
HELP!!

Alright its been awhile guys so let me just say hey whats up, and that this forum is by far the best mustang one out there all the other ones no one knows what there talking about! So today my neighbor backed into my driver door he is going to claim it on his insurance (Thank God) but I need a whole new door which is have to be painted. Do you guys know if they can match a 99's color its Black and very faided so I didnt think they could,but thats why im posting this to get your guy's opinion. I really hope they cant because my car is in a dire need of a new paint job!
dacoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta
Re: HELP!!

Of course they can. Well, it depends on the insurance company too.
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

the shop may be able to get close. If it's badly faded, I'm not sure. You may consider trying to polish the door that got hit and see if you can get rid of some of that clear coat oxidation. Be careful, as polishing black can be a challenge... but that's the beauty of it, you're already replacing the door. But it'll let you know if you can restore some of the original black which will make it a lot easier to match.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thats the thing its his fault and hes paying for it and he told me to get the whole car painted, so im hoping they cant because its so faded because I need a new paint job anyway
Old 05-24-2010, 02:51 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Well the body shop will have to 'blend' the paint to match (a good shop anyway) so they will blend/fade the paint in as far as they need to.. I'd guess probably part of your fender/rocker and rear 1/4... Doubt they'd offer to pay paint for the whole car under his insurance.. Just a thought - You could check with the shop and as how much they'd charge to extend the paint job to the whole car above and beyond what the insurance is paying for
Old 05-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

The paint code for 99 black is "UA". Depending on the body shop, you should be able to get within 1 or 2 shades, or in some cases an exact match. As said, it also depends on the condition of the door.

As MonteCitan said, a proper job will include blending of nearby areas to make the slight shade difference look better. Who knows, you might get a full paint job for a fraction of the cost...definitely something to check.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

My 99 had a dent in the left rear and it got fixed and the paint matched. I had this done late November of 2009.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:40 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maine

I'd really be surprised any insurance company would spring for a new complete paint job but I bet you could work out a deal with the shop. I had an older car repaired for the same reason. Body shop knew what they were doing and the job came out fantastic. I had some other damage in a quarter and they charged me just time and materials to shoot the back quarter as well at a fraction of the cost where it was already in the shop. When you take it in for an estimate, negotiate the extra work too.

Murph's Glassback!
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:43 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Have you had the car professionally detailed to see if they could restore the shine to it? If its bad clearcoat, maybe you could get out cheaper with the door respray and a professional wet sand and clearcoat, would definitely be cheaper than a full paint job.
VadenKwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #10

Body shop's can match up paint pretty well these days. If the car hasn't oxidized, just a little faded, you can get it buffed and restored pretty nicely, and the paint would match even better.

If it ISN'T oxidized, I wouldn't waste the time in getting the whole car painted if it's a daily. You get the whole car painted to drive it every day and get hit by rocks, damage the paint with bird droppings, door dings, people hitting the car, etc!
UPRDanielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:58 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Okay got the estimate today its 1200. Im thinkin about going to find a black door at a junk yard somewhere for a couple hundred. Putting it on myself, buying a roush bodykit and my uncle will paint my car for cost of paint which he says is a couple hundred,but my question is will the car look funny with stock rims and a bodykit?
Old 05-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Is it a v6 or a GT? I only ask because if you have 17's (GT wheel option), it wouldn't look horrible, I'd still try and get a new set in the future. But if you have the stock v6 15" or 16" it may look weird...those smaller rims make the car look top heavy with a kit.

May want to try and find a cheap set of cobra wheels or saleens for sale. 18" would look the best, but you could definitely get away with 17".

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

color matching is never fun, but the eye cant tell a close color difference thats 12 inches apart~ so they blend colors from one area to another to take advantage of this~ since the paint is old and faded you can either fix it the best it can be and live with it or you can repaint the car~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT