Last batch of mods - Thinking out loud here - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Last batch of mods - Thinking out loud here

Ok, I am lining up my last batch of mods for the cobra and figuring out a price list and a purchasing plan for getting them all done. However, I am pretty torn over what to do with the engine block. I'm wrestling between two choices: 1. Keep stock block, get it freshened up .010-.020 over. Or 2. Get the new 5.0L modular block that gives you 5.0L with the stock cobra crank.

Both options will require machining as the new block comes undersized for final honing.

Both options would require inspection of the stock crank to ensure it is good shape to re-use. If bad, it will need replacement in either situation.

Both options would re-use crank (pending inspection) and rods...

Both options would require new pistons which are the same price whether I get .020 over pistons of the .150 over pistons needed for the 302 block.

Both options would pretty much max out my ability to over bore again without pushing the limits of the block thicknesses. So, any future issues with the block would require a new block either way.

The only difference between the two setups is that I would have to buy the 50 mod block. Right now, I'm seeing it for $999 direct from ford, $949 from some other sites, and I have a couple messages out to tousley and darkshadows to see what their prices would be for the block. All prices would require freight shipping as well as it is 180 lbs.

As I type this out, I am slapped in the face with the obvious answer to go for the more displacement. It just makes sense. However, i wanted to think out loud and see if anyone else had any thoughts.

A distant option would be the 4.6L Aluminator block which would be the same deal as the other two options...and remove many pounds from the front of the car. It's price tag would be around $1200 I'm seeing.

On to the rest of the final mod list to go with whatever block changes I make:

- Fully ported Jan 05 heads
- Custom grind cams
- Behemoth intake for the KB
- Upgrade fuel system to the fore triple Ford GT fuel hat and upgraded lines/fuel rails
- Have trans rebuilt to viper spec with better first, fifth, and sixth gear ratios
- Long tube headers
- Killer Chiller IC system
- Have car repainted stock color to fix orange peal, chips, scratches.

Like I said, the only thing I am stuck on now is the block and what to do with it. All told, I would expect this setup to net me 625-675 rwhp depending on which block option I decided to go with...and which pulley setup I decide on with the KB. Then, I'll be done with the car.

I plan to start order pieces for these upgrades later this summer I would guess.
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Last batch of mods - Thinking out loud here

Arent you putting out about 575-600rwhp or so right now? It seems like a whole lot of money to me. Are you gonna throw any more boost at it? And are you planning on taking it to the track if so?

Imo, Id just go with the new paint job. Do you have a total price worked out for everything?

But Id say go with the 5.0 setup.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
Arent you putting out about 575-600rwhp or so right now? It seems like a whole lot of money to me. Are you gonna throw any more boost at it? And are you planning on taking it to the track if so?

Imo, Id just go with the new paint job. Do you have a total price worked out for everything?

But Id say go with the 5.0 setup.

Well, one thought behind it all is that I want to replace the heads with the Jan 05 revision to get the better cooling updates and to make sure I have the 9 thread heads instead of the 3 thread heads. So those will be getting done no matter what for longevity reasons.

Freshening the short block is happening to fix the tight tolerances that came from ford being too tight for high power applications. This too is being done for longevity reasons.

The fuel changes are to ensure plenty of fuel from pumps directly instead of relying on a boost a pump that could go out anytime. Run ing the triple hat gives me a fail safe of the extra pump in case one were to crap out mid pull.

Other than those things, the rest is just to make the look good. But most of this batch of mods are to make the car more reliable…only with the added benefit of a little more hp.
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I see. It all sounds good then. Im assuming youre doing all the work? And whats the weak point in the cobras? I know in the shelbies its the rods.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

There are non. Fully forged. Only ford made the piston to wall clearance too tight for emissions reasons.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Done? Really.....I don't see that happening lol.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I know... I know... but how much is enough, whats the limit of usability vs bragging rights? Always great questions to sit back and ask yourself. Usability vs saying you have it... or just doing it "cuz you can" or what not~ now if I blew my engine and I had the choice i would rather spend a little more and build it stronger vs stock of course.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

If it was me...I'd go with the iron 5.0 block and go that way.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:07 PM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
I know... I know... but how much is enough, whats the limit of usability vs bragging rights? Always great questions to sit back and ask yourself. Usability vs saying you have it... or just doing it "cuz you can" or what not~ now if I blew my engine and I had the choice i would rather spend a little more and build it stronger vs stock of course.

It's not really for power reasons to be honest. That's just one of the side effects. The only "for power gain" mod on the list is the behemoth inlet. The rest are for longevity or tired of gasket issues reasons.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

one thing you have to look at is, if you bore the stock block to 5.0L will the wall thickness be enough to handle 20psi. of boost?

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #11
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottcobra View Post
one thing you have to look at is, if you bore the stock block to 5.0L will the wall thickness be enough to handle 20psi. of boost?
It's not a stock block. This is a completely different casting specifically for 5L so the wals are plenty thick as well as some other improvements and reinforcements. You can't bore a stock 4.6 more than 40 over without risking hitting the water jackets.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:56 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Ok. I thought you were talking about also boring your stock block to 5.0 but I got it now.

are the 2V and the 4V the same block?

Old 05-30-2010, 09:44 AM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Yup. The new block is also all set for all 03/04 cobra accessories and timing cover.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:50 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

I'd be very interested to see the 5.0 in there.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:12 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Yup. The new block is also all set for all 03/04 cobra accessories and timing cover.
Well why not go 5.4L?

Will it just not hold up to the boost?

Old 05-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well why not go 5.4L?

I thought you had to change some of the wiring and accessories when switching from a 4.6 to a 5.4? And it seems like just extra work if he isnt looking for all out power.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:03 PM   #17
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Well why not go 5.4L?

My intake wouldn't work because of the wider gap between the intake ports on the heads due to the taller deck height.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:34 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Oh okay.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #19
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Ok, the process has started.

Ordered and/or awaiting installation thus far:

- Cobra rear bumper lettering (been sitting for 6 months now)
- New rotors and hawk pads
- MM Stainless brake lines, front and rear
- Russel speed bleeders, front and rear
- Painting calipers while off the car

Ordering/expecting in 2 weeks:
- Kincaid Killer Chiller
- Nitto NT05R rear tires

Then I have some general trouble shooting/maintenance to do as well. I Have a few new noises since fixing the header leak that I want to track down and fix....

We are on the downward end of remodeling the new house...so I hope to have a weekend or two in the next few weeks to be able to just mess with the car again. I'm hoping to have everything but the motor and pistons here and ready to go in by august/september...although I will be installing anything possible until then the only exception being the cams and behemoth.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:12 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Phil got a set of NT205r for the camaro. they are sick. your gonna love them.

on the killer chiller. Are you going the one that completely kills the a/c to the car?

Old 06-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #21
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Kills he ac? No. It taps into the ac but doesn't kill it. At worst it raises the vent temp by a few degrees on really hot days. But other than that, it just installs inline with the ac system and mounts in the foam bumper under the bumper cover.

Home Page is the web addy I believe.

As for the tires, I am so glad to hear that.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I read on another forum that they make two forms of the killer chiller. the one your speaking of and one that uses all the a/c on the killer heat exchanger.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #23
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Hmm. Interesting. But no, I'm keeping the ac. I just want the 40* intercooler fluid temps.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

So youre gonna do the cams before the motor work? Do you know the specs on them yet?
Old 06-03-2010, 06:05 PM   #25
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

They will be a custom grind. Not sure on the specs yet. And no, they won't go till the engine work. But I hope to have them in hand by august.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT