Factory cd player (1999 gt) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to Mustang1804 Send a message via Yahoo to Mustang1804
Factory cd player (1999 gt)

I don't know much about electronics, radios and I was looking for some help. I have a 1999 Ford Mustang GT (V8) and I the car manual is nowhere to be found so I will have to order another one but until then I will need to rely on ya'll for help. Thank you in advance. I have the factory radio with the cd/cassette player still in my GT and my cousin just gave me a radio (200 Watt Am/Fm Car CD Reciver with MP3 Playback 9) and I was wondering if this would be an ok radio to install in my vehicle since im not sure the specifications, in terms of watts, etc. I can install. Please help. Thank you much in advance.

Mustang1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Registered Member
Re: Factory cd player (1999 gt)

Head over to Crutchfield.com and give them a call. If you have the Mach460, your in for a ride trying to get adapters and plugs to fit an aftermarket unit in it. The way the speakers and amps are wired they dont do too good with aftermarket units. If your looking to rip everything out and rewire plus install new speakers, they will have everything you need and the guides to do it.
This is the reason my 96GT still has the stocker 460 in it, its too much of a pain. It's only the 2nd of about 15 cars I've owned that has the stock unit simply because of this reason. I'd rather listen to the roar of my exhaust over the stereo anyways

VadenKwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Texas

I totally agree with VadenKwinn. I was going to change mine out as well and I discovered it was a pain so I still have mine too.
Bassani Off-road X-pipe, Magnaflow Catback, BOMZ Racing CAI, Smoked Tail lights, Black Projector Headlights
99 SVT Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Wisconsin

Yah if you have the Mach system it will be difficult to tap in a head unit and such. My friend's 01 GT has an aftermarket head unit (already in the car when he bought it) with the mach 460 and the sound is terrible - no bass, no volume.

I believe the audio systems without cd players and just cassettes are not Mach 460 systems...don't quote me on that though...they came out with the Mach 460 in 95 and have different levels with cd players, without, with 6 discs and subwoofers in the trunk. A good way to check is whether you have tweeters up by the mirrors on your doors...

Here's a link to some Mach Audio info...

Mach 460 Information

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l 2.6 Pulley/Idler l Airaid l o/r X l 305 NT555R's l Recaros l

04 Azure Blue Mach 1 / 03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 14 Sterling Grey F150 FX4 402A 5.0 / 11 GT500 R.I.P.
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:01 PM   #5

I just did a swap in my 01 cobra with the Mach460 it was not to hard they have a wiring kit for it that has every you need to get it set up you don't have to splice any wires it is all plug in you will have to ground the amp wires that come in the kit. The kit tells you how to hook it up. what you will have is some wiring harness in the kit. They plug into your wiring harnes on your car. The amp harnes will have some wires on it you take the wires and connect them to the new head unit you are puting in. The amp harne also has some power wires on it one is for the batt you use the one from the new head unit it also have on for turning on and off the car amp you connect that to the wire on the new head unit that says remote that will make sure you get all your speakers working and it will sound better than the stock your new head unit has more power if you need any thing just let me know
2001 Cobra got to love the ride
01snakebite is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT