Cam Swap... stuck, any help? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-24-2006, 01:41 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to Invictus Send a message via Yahoo to Invictus
Cam Swap... stuck, any help?

Alright, the valve covers are off, cam caps are off, i have a cam chain retention tool from ford anderson motorsports to hold the camchain in place (so i dont have to take off cover and all front motor accessories.) and the cam bolt is out and the sprocket (cam gear) has been tapped off the cam shaft itself.. it looks like the cam is ready to just fall out but there's still something managing to hold it to the block. do i have to take the rocker arms out? these are under the cams so i wouldnt see why (im not changing the valve springs) this would be an 04' GT SOHC romeo motor btw. just wondering if and of you have done the swap and if so have any experience that could guide me through finishing this up. i have a feeling its something simple but ive been taking my time so as not to force or mess up anything. any input appreciated thanks!

edit::

theres a pic of my progress thus far... basically the entire cam is exposed looks like its ready to be takein right off the block, is something holding it from underneath? the sprocket it off in that pic although you can see it.. just wondering if you guys could walk me through it, i dont think its that complicated
Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2006, 02:03 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Re: Cam Swap... stuck, any help?

**** wish i could help ya, ive only done cam swaps on lowly 4bangers thus far.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 02:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

is that pic showing up for you guys? yeah ive helped on a few swaps on some foxbodys so i'm not a complete newb.. but never on the modulars. its a fun project im just a bit stuck.. i'll probably have to get them degreed after installation but nevertheless i'd still like to complete the swap myself just to get the hands on experience under my belt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2006, 02:49 AM   #4
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Yea I see the picture. There are a few people that can help you I am sure. Just got to wait for them to wake up

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 08:16 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

how slack is the timing chain? It looks like you got everything, but if that's putting any pressure on the camshaft, it could have the cam binding up in the journals..

There shouldn't be anything holding it from underneath, and it looks like you got all the caps off... It does look like it should come right out
Old 12-24-2006, 11:08 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

theres not much slack in the timing chain, I have the cam chain retention tool wedged in there to hold the timing but even still I have the sprocket (gear) completely off of the cam and it still wont budge like something is holding it from underneath or something... is there a way I can turn the crank by hand? if so i'll put the sprocket back on and try and turn the cam a bit maybe it just happened to be in an awkward spot to remove.. the passengerside is in exact same position however except the lobes are mirror immaged as they should be. hmm thanks for the input so far and merry christmas eve!
Old 12-24-2006, 08:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

bump:

anyone?? =X
Old 12-24-2006, 08:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

I know this will sound crazy but try pushing down on the cam. I think what might be happening is that the valve spring pressure on the valves that are open is putting the cam in a bind. IE: the can is not able to come straight up as it needs to?
microflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

alright.. so i managed to get the front timing cover off finally and all the accessories out of the way.. well.. its time for the swap now. i managed to get the driverside cam loose and out, and the new cam is well lubed and in.. however i cannot manage to get it wedged in the little tooth that it has to bite into on the sprocket and slide on.. they just wont line up...! ive been at it for hours which isnt a problem is there some kind of trick to it or something? if i take the sprocket out of the chain and turn it a bit just to help better line it up with the cam will this work? just curious.. any tips? thanks!
Old 12-26-2006, 09:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Don't take the sprocket out of the chain to line it up that will throw the timing off. You should be able to turn the cam to line up the key.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

ok.. i just realized its not setting down very well in the block becasue the lash adjusters need to be bled down so that the rollers will sit lower giving the cam more room.. is this possible since i've already taken the driver side cam out? what are the steps to actually bleed the lash adjusters?? i'm kinda stumped? thanks again bro
Old 12-26-2006, 09:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

alright yeah good thing i didnt.. well i figured out the problem. apparently I was supposed to bleed the lash adjusters down before i removed the cam.. this will make them sit further down into the block so that the rockers will be lower and let the cam sit more... only prob is the cam is already out. i was told there was a way i can bleed them down with ascrew driver or a vice or something?? would you know how to do this?
Old 12-27-2006, 02:06 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

new cams are in!!!!!!!!!!! as of 2:00AM been workin at it alll night ahhhhhhhh what a load off... i ended up having to take EVERYTHING off, timing cover and all front engine accessories... but its all downhill from now. before i did anything i put my crank on even though the timing cover is not on.. and proceeded to crank the motor by hand and it seems to turn over alright. its not exactly the eaisest thing to do.. but i turned the motor over probably a good 3-4 times by putting a wratchet wrench on the bolt in the middle of the crank and sure enough it started to spin. not once did anything just compltely stop me.. i did not turn the crank by hand before i took the old cams off so i'm really not sure how easy it is supposed to be... any suggestions? the cams are in, girdles are on, all the rockers are functioning as the should as the cam lobes press on them... is there anything i should check to be sure of before throwing everything back on?? hopefully tomorrow i can start her up should only be a few more hours .. what a job
Old 12-27-2006, 02:00 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I would crank it up just for a few seconds before putting every thing back on just to make sure the cam timing is correct.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:14 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

You mean actually turn it on?? I dont have the coil packs in and the timing cover, pulleys, belt, fan, and all front engine accessories are completely out and there is no oil in the car obviously since the timing cover is off I dont think that would be a very good idea lol!
Old 12-27-2006, 03:58 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

shouldn't spin too easily by hand, compression'll do that to you
Old 12-27-2006, 05:23 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

ok well its definatel not easy in fact its pretty hard unless i get good leverage on it but its definaltey not STopping and getting caught up on anything. so theoretically would it be okay to throw everything back on and crank crank her up or are there any more precautions I can take to make sure timing is right? any ideas? otherwise im gonna start it up and see how she does.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:14 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

how she do?
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:43 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

CAMS ARE IN! as of about 2:00PM today... and takin me about 4 full days of work, 10 bloody knuckles and a ripped up thumb (lol those cam lobes are sharp as hell!!) . i cranked her up today for the first time in about a week and man does she sound AMAZING.. its only stage 1 but the lopeyness is DEFINATELY there it rumbles like no other. It cranked up just fine and I ran her around the block.. keepin her under 2500 rpm however I noticed a fairly large oil leak its right under the driverside valve cover i'm not sure if there's some type of oil line or if my valve cover gasket is bad i'll look into it. other than that the car starts right up, it has a rather shaky idle im not sure if thats normal perhaps my timing might be off a bit? and aside from the oil leak which i'll get to later on today the swap is complete.. pretty good for a first timer eh? =)
Old 12-28-2006, 05:29 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

you need to make a recording of the sound... interested to hear
Old 12-28-2006, 09:45 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Old 12-28-2006, 10:29 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

hehe..

here's a little vid i made for sound if you guys were interested and in case you all were wondering.. my complete exhaust combo. is:

-BBK Lontube headers (chrome)
-BBK shorty offroad H-Pipe
-SLP LM catback exhaust w/ 3.5" tips

and the cams that were installed were COMP stage 1 cams. grind = (XE262AH-13)

VIDEO

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT