2000 mustang GT tapping sound in engine - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-31-2006, 02:54 PM   #1

Region: Alabama
Angry 2000 mustang GT tapping sound in engine

Hello,

My name is Joseph Kent Iím from Huntsville Alabama. I own a 2000 model mustang GT with a 4.6 SOHC completely stock. The engine has a ďtickĒ (is the best way I can describe it ) at high RPMís anything over 2500 itís almost like a knock but not quite as loud. It doesnít do it in idle only going down the road just before you change gear. Just cruising down the road in fourth or fifth gear you canít hear it. Due to only being able to hear it going down the road, I canít pinpoint where this tick is coming from, itís pretty loud you can even hear it inside the car. Do you have any suggestions as to what it might be? Does the 4.6ís have any kind of issue with valve springs breaking? Or could it possibly be something on the front of the engine timing chain etc? The car has not lost any power or oil pressure. It also doesnít do it when the engine is cold, only after it heats up. It seems like when the engine reaches temp it starts to make this ďtickĒ. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Joseph Kent,
dreamcar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2006, 02:56 PM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: 2000 mustang GT tapping sound in engine

Can you hear it if you rev the engine up at a stop?

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:00 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to Invictus Send a message via Yahoo to Invictus

Sounds like possibly an exhaust leak... Do you change your oil faithfully? If the engine is stock then I doubt it's any valve/piston clearance issues so you can rule that out. Get a friend to stuff some towels in your exhaust pipes and rev up a bit, if the noise gets worse then you've successfully diagnosed your problem. Exhaust leak.. If you're driving and and you upshift unnecessarily to bring your car into low RPMs and give it some gas... (say 40MPH and in 5th gear) you should really be able to hear it. If all else fails bring it to the stealership.
Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2007, 09:37 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

how loud/audible is it? as previously asked, can you hear it if you rev it up in neutral?
Old 01-07-2007, 09:47 AM   #5

Region: Alabama

the sound is pretty loud i can hear it inside the car as i'm going down the road. And you can't hear it in idle but me and a friend got out there the other day and i was just patting the gas sitting still in the driveway, and as you pat the gas up to around 2200 rpms you could hear the sound. it sounds like it might be coming from the front timming chain cover area.still not sure what it is,but i don't think it is an exauhst leak.
dreamcar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Back when I had a 92 GT I had a noise similar to what you are describing. I was told exhaust leak but couldn't find one. I had not too long before that installed roller rockers. Well, me and a buddy took it all apart again cause that's where the sound seemed to come from. We found that one of the rods and slipped out of the pre-made hole on the rocker arm and had made a smaller indintion on the arm that kept the rod in place. The ticking came from the rod pushing the rocker arm up to high and it was hitting the cover that covers the rods and rockers (going blank on the name right now cause I'm dead tired) which is what the "ticking" was from.
Saleen #232
USMCSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCSS View Post
Back when I had a 92 GT I had a noise similar to what you are describing. I was told exhaust leak but couldn't find one. I had not too long before that installed roller rockers. Well, me and a buddy took it all apart again cause that's where the sound seemed to come from. We found that one of the rods and slipped out of the pre-made hole on the rocker arm and had made a smaller indintion on the arm that kept the rod in place. The ticking came from the rod pushing the rocker arm up to high and it was hitting the cover that covers the rods and rockers (going blank on the name right now cause I'm dead tired) which is what the "ticking" was from.

TALK ABOUT LUCKY!!!!!!

I think you are trying to say valve cover
Old 01-18-2007, 06:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Yes valve cover. Right as I posted the reply it came to me. Me a ****** sometimes...
Saleen #232
USMCSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 05:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

That's ok, when we had the bullitt, my wife would always correct me when I said "cam covers." She was raised pushrod. Now I have seen the light

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
2000 mustang