Do you like your nitrous? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-02-2007, 11:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Smile Do you like your nitrous?

Hey guys my mechanic is trying to get me to slap the bottle on. He's giving me a good deal and stuff but nitrous kinda freaks me out a little. I was just wondering how many of you like it and is it worth it. I def wouldn't spray all the time just at the track and stuff.

According to him as long as I have the bottle warmer and the right psi in the bottle at all times I shouldn't have ne problems. True?? I can't afford a s/c But i need more hp!! I have a cold air, plenum, pullies, full exhaust with shorties, gears, 31 spline rear, stage 1 clutch etc, etc. On a mustang dyno I put out 245 hp and 300 tq to the wheels. What should my increases be? Thanks for all your help!

Finally its blown.....
notstock02gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2007, 11:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Exclamation Re: Do you like your nitrous?

By the way it would either be a 125 shot or 100

Finally its blown.....
Old 01-02-2007, 11:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via MSN to 1996stang Send a message via Yahoo to 1996stang
Re: Do you like your nitrous?

MAKE SURE you get it installed by some who knows their *** from a hole in the ground and get it tuned properly.I have a friend with a 96 gt that has sprayed over 200 bottles through his car since he bought it.Not one problem has come out of it and thats a 125 shot on stock internals.
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2007, 11:09 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

No need to get a baby bottle. A long night of fun will only be fun if you have extra bottles handy as it will eventually run out/low of PSI.

In my personal opinion, save up for better upgrades. The bottle will be fun once in a while, but, what about the days you are low/not heated...spur of the moment races/fun? Power won't be there. Save for the S/C so that when you show up you have X amount of power...and when you leave you have X amount of power.

But, that is just my .02
Old 01-02-2007, 11:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the input guys. The guys knows what he's doing. In fact all he works on is mustangs. I may just save for the blower though. Well see. Thanks

Finally its blown.....
Old 01-03-2007, 01:45 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

I agree with Smurfin, I would save for either a super/turbocharger. I'm not saying nitrous is bad and I know several people who have it on their cars, but I've never really liked the concept of how it works. But I don't want to discourage you if that the way you want to go, I know nitrious is a very good tool for making hp if used right.

BTW I really don't know a whole lot about N2O.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:45 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

if you cant afford a supercharger chances are you cant afford to rebuild the motor if the installation / dyno tune are not setup correctly. I would save up for a better upgrade.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:32 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
if you cant afford a supercharger chances are you cant afford to rebuild the motor if the installation / dyno tune are not setup correctly. I would save up for a better upgrade.
+1 One of my buddy's ran a 125 shot for over a year had all the right safety equipment,tune Etc. and one day is just went boom

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

well personally im all for the bottle. I ran the bottle when i had my V6 and it was def one of my better investments. Yeah its not like a s/c or turbo where the power is there all the time but meh it was even better surprising people.

I also used the bottle cause i used to street race alot when i had my 6-er and everything was hidden. I had the bottle for well over 200+ passes and nothing ever went wrong for me

Heres advise i can give you, make sure to invest into all the safety equipment such as a window switch and make sure you get thr right pills needed cause you NEVER EVER wanna be spraying when your car is shifting. Fuel cutoff switch, a heater blanket and a flipchip so you can switch inbetween NA and Nitrous. and most and very important is to have someone who knows about the V6 mustang and let them tune it.

on the 99+ i found that a 100 shot can keep up with the fuel without changing anything in the system, a 150 shot your days will be numbered unless you were to upgrade the fuel.

Now for what i found the downside is the filling up on the tank this is why i invested into TWO 15 lb CF bottles i had the other stored away in a friends car. depending who your using it against you can get maybe if your lucky close to about 13-14 passes but theres alot of things that vary. cause in a reg 10 lb bottle i got about 8 runs in it.

Some people are ment to be nitrous junkies and then theres everyone else.

BTW if thats your car in the sig you def have one hawt looking car
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

yeah thats my car. Thanks I appreciate it. Im thinking that I might just save up cause I def cant afford a new motor if something happens. Tranny is going to be pulled soon too so i'd just better save for boost. Thanks for all your advise guys!

Finally its blown.....
Old 01-04-2007, 01:14 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

I don't have anything against nitrous, just keep in mind like others suggested to keep the tune in the hands of a professional

nitrous is the most disturbing of the lower end of any of the power adders, i've heard alot of guys compare it to slightly tapping your mains with a hammer

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:00 PM   #12
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

yea, save up for a blower....like 6-9lbs...something u can run reliably and sumwut inexpensive...i bought a 9psi unit..cant wait to put it on....i am scared to death of nitrous cause of all the variables.....im probably wrong, but in my opinion if u get all the stuff you need to correctly run nos, does the price bring u close to a 5-6lbs. s/c by 5 to 7 hundred dollars...u might as well get a supercharger cause u will spend the savings from a nos kit getting bottle refills
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
nitrous