Suspension - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Suspension

Ok so I have a 04 gt and Im wanting to put Eibach lowering springs on. Really Im just wanting to hear from anyone who has them to make sure they are the best ones and that I will be happy with them. Thanks
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Suspension

eibach makes good springs (also make the OEM ford springs already on the car I do believe) . The "BEST" is very subjective to what you want the car to do.

Most Eibach springs dont have a super stiff spring rate so they dont make the car handle much better they just lower it (which helps handling in and of itself)

some Eibach springs are stiffer, some drop more, there is no one single "eibach spring" so it all depends on what you want out of the car.

IF you lower it more or at 1.5 inches you will need C/C plates for alignment needs, also its really not worth droping the car looks wise unless its at least 1.5 inches. If you have higher miles shocks/struts would be a great idea as you are already tearing into that area so why not.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

I'm running Eibach ProKit springs, MM C/C plates and Bilstein HD shocks and struts. I really enjoy how it sits and the ride is pretty good.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2010, 12:33 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

I have sport lines and it was jus too dramatic of a drop so i switched to pro kits and it still looks good but the ride confort and quality is 100X better. I'd reccomend them
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I was looking at the pro kit from American Muscle with the 1.5 drop. So my next question would be I have about 82k miles so is that high enough to worry about getting shocks/struts and if so what are good ones.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ok also what about the H&R springs?
Old 07-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

man get the H&R ...the ones i got were H&R Super Sport Springs ...and with that i got Eibach Pro-Damper Shock & Struts kit...so the ride drop was awsome and the ride and comfort quality was great too...i would recommed you to go ahead and change out your shocks and struts because when you get the springs most ppl change out the shocks and struts with it cause they can wear out the old ones..my car had abt 40k miles when i did the full change so trust me if you go with what i had its gonna look and feel wayyy different ...
Gt.Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04_GT View Post
Yeah I was looking at the pro kit from American Muscle with the 1.5 drop. So my next question would be I have about 82k miles so is that high enough to worry about getting shocks/struts and if so what are good ones.
shocks and struts are a good idea when you drop it. It isn't required, but it won't ride like it should and it'll cause excessive wear on your stockers

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Everyone above has given you great advice. My .02

Both H&R and Eibach are good springs. As mentioned above, there are different rates/drops with each line. The pro-kit that you are looking at is a good street choice. For street cars, I would not recommend the race versions.

The 1.5" drop is going to put you at, if not over, the limits of being able to get it back into alignment. That is why you see the reference to the CC plates as that gives you a wider range of alignment options.

If you can swing the $$, I would swap out the struts/shocks based on the mileage you have on your stock ones now. The new springs will work the stock setup a little harder. As they wear, you'll start to notice more of a bouncy ride and harshness over bumps. If you go with anything more than the pro-kit (drop-wise), I would put more emphasis on replacing your stock setup.

The struts/CC plates/Springs are all go together, so labor wise you save some time by swapping everything out at the same time.

There are a lot of options for shock/struts. The Tokico 'hp' or Eibach ones mentioned above would work with the pro-kit. If you want to spend a little more, you could go with the Tokico d-spec or Bilsteins. Koni STR.T are also a good shock, but almost impossible to find in-stock right now.
John@NQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Alright thanks guys. Im gonna do some looking now and see exactly what I want
Old 07-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Pennsylvania

Hey jimmie beaner your car looks sweet, I'm alittle dissappointed because I just put the eibach prokit on and I don't think it looks much lower. I'm hoping they will sag and settle alittle more. My gaps look bigger than yours. But you are running the 18" wheels so maybe they fill the wheel wells more, I don't know what tire you run though.

Sorry to thread jack but I was curious about shocks too. I wanted cheaper ones but the cheap ones I found on tire rack were said to be not a good choice for lowered cars but I don't think mine is that much lower.

Is there a good economical choice?
ajpturbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT