Mustang Evolution Forum banner

performance chip?

6K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  DarkShadow 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a turbo for my 99 gt....but thats not for awhile(money and knowldege holding me back)....so i was thinking maybe a performance chip but i dont know where to start with one of these.......i still want to keep it a daily driver!! Where do i start??

#2 ·
id start with a hend held tuner. SCT and predator both put out quality products with a dyno tune you should get about another 20hp or so

#4 ·
get a real tune from a real tunner they can load it on your hand held. The tunes you get off the shelf are worthless.

#9 ·
I live in california and only have 91 octaine to choose from over 89 & 87 which are the other 2 otpions. Are we to use octaine additive that they sell everwhere per full tank? I dont exactly get it. I was told not to buy 87 which is what the 2002 v6 manual states, but when I got my car worked on and changed my EGR valve, he asked what I was running and said I had to kick it up to 91 because mustangs really shouldnt run on crap otherwise they turn the engine into crap! I here that anything over the MFG standards are a waste, but how could it if burning "cheap" gas will cause a repair in the future? catch 22?

#10 ·
Theres no reason you need to run 91 unless you've had your timing bumped (which it doesnt sound like you have). If you end up getting a tuner, have them tune it for 91 octane instead of 93. That fuel additive octane booster doesnt do anything anyways, so thats a waste. Id say before you get a tuner do more to your car that would require it. Like bbunt said, some long tube headers, and some 4.10 gears would give you a nice seat of the pants gain, then get the tuner to calibrate your speedometer and get the most potential out of your mods. :good:

#11 ·
After the CAI, I wanted to get the dual exhaust, but had heard if you have one, you dont "need" the other. Whatever, I just want the look and sound but not be stupid and loose back pressure so i'm sticking w/2 1/4 pipes. I have heard a turner should be next to realize the 2 exhaust upgrades and fix the air/fuel ratio so it doesnt run to lean or rich. But I've seen a lot of hype about underdrive pullies for around $200+ a shorter belt, I understand the concept, but should I put that on hold and get 3.73 gears instead (manual 2002), & should I buy the TLok at the same time and have the same people install it? I know autos go 4.10, and that I should stick w/3.73:1 rear gears since I have a stick. about to dump hundress into the next step, just want to be smart about it. Example:Why get a 70mm TB if my intake manifolds arent ported, things like that. but it seemslike a grey area after the CAI.

#13 ·
Unfortuneately on the 2Vs you will see 7-12rwhp with a good custom tune, 20hp won't happen.

#14 ·
Hey, chris, I'
m assuming you have a V6? If so, good idea stickint with the 2 1/4 pipe size. Anyway, go with both the CAI and dual exhaust since the CAI is a cheap mod. If I had to choose between pullies or the gears, I would definalty do the gears....I loved driving my car after I got my 3.73's installed. Also, screw the rule of thumb about 4.10's in an auto and 3.73's an a manual, either will work fine for mileage no matter what you have...it's really your personal preference. Anyway, as for the T-lok, do that and the gears at once since they're all installed int he same place in the car....no sense in paying someone to put in new gears, and then pay the same installatino fee again to put in the t-lok......with install prices in the 300-500 range, you're much better off doing it all at once,.

#15 · (Edited)
Old thread. GT. But like said before just to put it to bed, running anything over 87 is a waste unless you are tuned. Your computer will automatically ****** itself anyway resulting in no more than a waste of money. 87 is fine for stock vehicles just be careful where you buy it from. While I don't really believe that some establishments water down gas, I do believe that some do a MUCH better job of cleaning their tanks than others. I try to only get gas from Shell, BP, or Chevron.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.