Bigger Engine - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-29-2007, 11:32 PM   #1
DSQ

Bigger Engine

Hi, my name is Dave. I am here to get help with my project car. I have a 2000 mustang Saleen with Saleen supercharger. K&N cold air intake, 4.10 gears, a mtehanol direct injection kit, and a 5 spd Tremec Tranny w/a King Cobra Clutch.
My plan is to sell this eng. complete, 25000 miles on eng. [2nd eng.] and start over. My ultimate goal is 800-900hp. I have a few contentions though. I want to go with as big of an engine as my compartment will allow without major fabrication (I'm okay with doing custom motor mounts but don't want to be cutting into the wheel well or anything), money isn't a major object because I want to do this right. So here is the question. What is the best crate engine to put in? I've been kicking around a few options, 351W, 427, 517, but I want to make sure there is a good market out there for it. Also will my tranny hold up to that hp and will it bolt up to any of those engines or will I have to swap that as well? Also the compartment will need to be able to fit a turbo on this application. So....any ideas?
DSQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2007, 10:37 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Re: Bigger Engine

You dont wanna stay modular?

Honestly I know the guys around here know there stuff but I recomend talking to some guys over at Modular Depot alot of those guys are running some sick times with some sick setups i say check it out.

Modular Depot Forums - Powered by vBulletin
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

id stay modular, if the motor is forged it turbo it and get more power than the saleen sc could ever dream of.

displacement means jack **** when you add forced induction, since you can just upp the boost and create more "fake" displacement anyways.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2007, 01:20 PM   #4
DSQ

well, thats why i'm here. looking for advice. been to a few local shops but they don't care if you blow up they just want to sell. so, i'm up for the best advice. figured you guys care about helping each other for the cause. cant do anything else to the engine without rebuilding the internals. so thats why i was looking to just sell and replace with a built eng. should i just build this one.? dont have garage or tools to do myself, so that looked pricewise about the same.?? want to keep the car looking stock without looking under the hood. like to make heads in the vettes bow at the next light. anyways, looking to spend around 12000 or so. any and all advice please. ps. this is a project with a beautiful car and my son.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Alot of the modular guys pretty much swear by VT engines.

I recomend just building up the 4.6 or talking to VT Engines and doing a power adder setup. Esp since money isnt a thing for you id def give them a ring

VT Engines
Old 01-30-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

The VT 5.4 would not be a bad idea. Would be forged, built with a turbo in mind, and would survive and would fit into your car without drastic fabrication...

For your power goals though, I would definitely look into a new transmission. Clueless as to which one, but, I don't thing the tremec T5 is ready for 800-900 hp. You could look into getting what is in the ford gt as there are several running 1000+ rwhp through it...with a blown 5.4...ie, joe's TT GT.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:53 PM   #7
DSQ

thanks, advice sounds good. will look up 5.4 vt. saw a show about turbos on speed chnl. they were building turbos for diesels and had an inline set up. small turbo spools at low rpm and spools up large turbo, no lag at all. thinking of this set up. any thoughts. ? also looking for custom paint after the eng. etc. airbrush grim reaper idea or something. any sugg. appx cost so i dont get ripped....
Old 01-30-2007, 02:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

the paint job all im gonna say it all depends on what you really want cause there are differ styles which in result cost differ amounts.

your looking to spend for a custom paint job alone anywhere from the 2500-10000 range again depends what you want simple custom 1 color paint more in the 2500-3500ish range. Airbrushing will cost some good money too.

Turbo is def a good power adder
Old 01-31-2007, 10:14 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Send a message via MSN to rydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSQ View Post
thanks, advice sounds good. will look up 5.4 vt. saw a show about turbos on speed chnl. they were building turbos for diesels and had an inline set up. small turbo spools at low rpm and spools up large turbo, no lag at all. thinking of this set up. any thoughts. ? also looking for custom paint after the eng. etc. airbrush grim reaper idea or something. any sugg. appx cost so i dont get ripped....
running two diff size turbos in series are not needed for are small displacement engines. A nice single turbo or two smaller sequintial turbos will work just fine

97 V6-GT40 turbo-42#rs-BA2800 MAF-4.10's & tlok-254rwhp-369rwtq
Turbo'd by-TMA Turbo(http://www.tmaturbo.com/)
Tuned by-Dyno Tuned Performance(http://www.dtpracing.com/)
rydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Modular PowerHouse
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
id stay modular, if the motor is forged it turbo it and get more power than the saleen sc could ever dream of.

displacement means jack **** when you add forced induction, since you can just upp the boost and create more "fake" displacement anyways.
Actually, the more displacement, the less strain on the entire system. Ex. You could run 438 cid Dart block with a pt76 and 8 lbs and make 800 ish hp with the correct heads and pump gas and have one hell of a tq curve. To get 800 hp out of a 4.6 ltr. you would have to force more air into the system and not have hp and tq come in until later in the powerband, and also put more strain on the system since you are having force more air into the system as opposed to the engine pulling it.

There is no replacement for discplacement, PERIOD.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:49 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Displacement always means something.

If you want to make serious power, go pushrod. It's proven. A 408 with the correct blower or turbo set-up will easily meet your desired power numbers.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT