4.10 help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-17-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

4.10 help

i had some 4:10's installed on my 04 gt(5 speed) and ive been getting alot of whining coming from the rearend mostly when im decelerating in 4th gear, also when in 5th gear i get this clunk noise as soon as i step on the gas or let off the gas, if i hold the pedal down a 1/4 of an inch i get a clunk followed by grinding until i let it back up, all of which seem to be coming from my driveshaft back to the axle. the guy who installed these seemed pretty enthusiastic about doing it so i assumed he knew what he what he was doing.i just wanna know if this is a problem that needs to be fixed.
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Re: 4:10 help

Was this a shop or just a DIY guy? Yes it's a problem that needs to be fixed. Sounds almost like it has to do a little with your U-joint and possibly something within the gears. He might not have correctly hooked the driveshaft back up. Hard to say. I wouldn't take it back to him though but I'd get it checked out quick.
Saleen #232
USMCSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1
Re: 4.10 help

Sounds like they might not be meshing right...or they've got the backlash set incorrectly. I'd get it checked out before it's too late.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2007, 09:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to Racin02GT

backlash that is set wrong can put unwanted pressure on parts that arent designed for that much pressure (i.e. pressure on the wrong part of ring gear and pinion teeth) can cause premature wear and failure of the ring and/or pinion gear, also it can cause unwanted heat in the bearings and rear diff. fluid. so I would take it to a well reputable shop and spend the money to get it fixed right before it cost you more money in parts that can be saved by getting it fixed before it destroys itself. I did my gears by myself but it also took me a day and a half to get the backlash and contact pattern right, but I also did two years of school for auto tech and a whole semseter on rear ends and drivetrain.
Racin02GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:10 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

thanks for the heads up but yeah the guy owns two shops in new bern called mikes tire and auto. i paid him 350$ to put a set of h&r springs and the 4:10s on, the springs turned out great and the gears are the **** to except for that noise. also why do i get that clunk with the grinding noise only when the pedal is a 1/4 of an inch down, why not with the whole height of the pedal.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:19 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

oh yeah by the way they had the gears done in like 6 hours, but you said it took you a day a half to do yours. ill probably just take it back to him and tell him whats going on, see if he can fix it.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:40 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to Racin02GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
why do i get that clunk with the grinding noise only when the pedal is a 1/4 of an inch down, why not with the whole height of the pedal.
that is probably where your clutch engages and disengages (is the cluck coming from the rear end or the driveshaft area)
Racin02GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

sounds to me like the driveshaft area, its like a muffled grinding sound

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT