Help Me. Dome Light Acting Up - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Help Me. Dome Light Acting Up

hey yall .....new guy here !!!!!!!!!!!! what if your light wont come on when you open door or try to turn on with headlight switch ....... but i can turn it on manually by reaching up and flipping the switch on ??? what the heck is going on here ???????????
brentmustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

help dome acting up

hey yall .....new guy here !!!!!!!!!!!! what if your light wont come on when you open door or try to turn on with headlight switch ....... but i can turn it on manually by reaching up and flipping the switch on ??? what the heck is going on here ???????????
Old 08-22-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Re: Help me . dome acting up

check your fuses
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Cool Re: Help me . dome acting up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebs5408 View Post
check your fuses
I went by a diagram for a 03 even though mine is a 02 ! They were fine , gonna check them ALL in morn and will post what I find!
Old 08-22-2010, 11:56 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Does it come on if you open the passenger side door?

I haven't looked at a wiring diagram on this so I can't tell you entirely for sure where to look, just throwing out some thoughts on where I would start with diagnosing a car for this issue..

The circuit itself for power to the dome light is ok as you can turn it on manually with the switch.. In turn, got to be a concern (open/short grounding issue in the door switch/headlight switch circuits) Again just off the top of my head, no guarantees .. I'd lean towards the headlight switch being the central link..
Old 08-23-2010, 01:00 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post
Does it come on if you open the passenger side door?

I haven't looked at a wiring diagram on this so I can't tell you entirely for sure where to look, just throwing out some thoughts on where I would start with diagnosing a car for this issue..

The circuit itself for power to the dome light is ok as you can turn it on manually with the switch.. In turn, got to be a concern (open/short grounding issue in the door switch/headlight switch circuits) Again just off the top of my head, no guarantees .. I'd lean towards the headlight switch being the central link..
just went out 2 double check and NO lite when i open the passenger door. ive read someting about an acutator in the door causing some issues with a lite staying on (F150) . I hope i dont have to tear my damn door panel off as ive yet to accuire many tools. Hope its a looose wire behind my headlite switch .....ill pop it off in the morn and let yall know what if ANYTHING I FIND OUT !!!!! THANKS AGAIN YALL
Old 08-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentmustanggt View Post
just went out 2 double check and NO lite when i open the passenger door. ive read someting about an acutator in the door causing some issues with a lite staying on (F150) . I hope i dont have to tear my damn door panel off as ive yet to accuire many tools. Hope its a looose wire behind my headlite switch .....ill pop it off in the morn and let yall know what if ANYTHING I FIND OUT !!!!! THANKS AGAIN YALL
If it does NOT come on with either door nor the headlight switch, it is not an actuator, if light stays on it is likely a switch, if it doesn't come on with any of them then it's not.

It's either the switch or a circuit problem.. If I could find my EWD I would tell you exactly where to look... It's in my toolbox somewhere.. I'll try and get down there soon
Old 08-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post
If it does NOT come on with either door nor the headlight switch, it is not an actuator, if light stays on it is likely a switch, if it doesn't come on with any of them then it's not.

It's either the switch or a circuit problem.. If I could find my EWD I would tell you exactly where to look... It's in my toolbox somewhere.. I'll try and get down there soon
Oh wow that wud be great !
Old 08-27-2010, 12:31 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Re: Help Me. Dome Light Acting Up

Are you sure the bulb isn't out?

The dome light (connected to the door switch and headlight switch) is different from the Driver and Passenger map lights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:34 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to 95YellowGT_5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy View Post
Are you sure the bulb isn't out?

The dome light (connected to the door switch and headlight switch) is different from the Driver and Passenger map lights.
i agree, mine is the same way, the witches on the lamp are for the MAP lights, the dome light is seperate. the bulb could just be out
Old 08-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

ummm ok now im confused i only have ONE lite in my car its in the middle of the headliner with a switch on either side. (gimmie a break my first stang as ima bowtie Z28 guy converted over) rear view mirror has no lites at all on them if that helps any . what is a courtesy lite and what is map lite .

Just bought a Haynes manual .....imma get to digging in there....but someone feel free to break it down to me ....!!!!!
Old 08-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

All SN95 ('94-'04) Mustang coupes have three bulbs in the center headliner. The three bulbs are located in one plastic housing. The three bulbs are Driver Map, Dome Light, and Passenger Map. The Map lights are connected to the switches attached to the housing. The Dome light is connected to the door switches and headlight switch.

Basically the lights that come on with the door and the lights connected to the dome light switch are separate from each other physically. Physically meaning that they are individual entities (bulbs) but I believe are still on the same fuse (Fuse 7, 15 Amp [2003 Ford Mustang Workshop Manual]). If it was a bad fuse or other electrical problem more than likely none of these lights should work.

To replace the bulb (or see what I am talking about) use a small flat head screwdriver, or preferably a pick tool and pop open the clear plastic casing. You should see a small rectangular discoloration on the clear piece on where to insert the pick tool.

As for the differences in Map Vs. Dome, there really isn't much. I don't know if there is an industry or company standard but as far as I can tell the dome light is so because it is a general overhead light providing luminescence to the whole interior. The map lights are more focused to light up a specific rider's area (such as for map viewing).
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 08-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Verbatim
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:54 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to 95YellowGT_5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy View Post
All SN95 ('94-'04) Mustang coupes have three bulbs in the center headliner. The three bulbs are located in one plastic housing. The three bulbs are Driver Map, Dome Light, and Passenger Map. The Map lights are connected to the switches attached to the housing. The Dome light is connected to the door switches and headlight switch.

Basically the lights that come on with the door and the lights connected to the dome light switch are separate from each other physically. Physically meaning that they are individual entities (bulbs) but I believe are still on the same fuse (Fuse 7, 15 Amp [2003 Ford Mustang Workshop Manual]). If it was a bad fuse or other electrical problem more than likely none of these lights should work.

To replace the bulb (or see what I am talking about) use a small flat head screwdriver, or preferably a pick tool and pop open the clear plastic casing. You should see a small rectangular discoloration on the clear piece on where to insert the pick tool.

As for the differences in Map Vs. Dome, there really isn't much. I don't know if there is an industry or company standard but as far as I can tell the dome light is so because it is a general overhead light providing luminescence to the whole interior. The map lights are more focused to light up a specific rider's area (such as for map viewing).
what he said
Old 08-28-2010, 01:56 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

ok thank yall. opened it up and the center bulb was missing . went to napa and got one. well it was missing cause now it wont cut off !! wow the issue of now tracking down why it wont cut off . ive read something somewhere on here about "that" issue . anyways i think its the door actuator thing ?!
Old 08-28-2010, 12:08 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

First check and make sure the headlight knob is not turned all the way up. If you pull it out, so as your headlights are on, and then you turn the knob to control the cluster dimmer, it will reach a certain brightness until it stops and one more turn until it clicks. That click is to turn on the dome light manually. IN short, make sure the knob isn't turned ALL the way up.

Other than that make sure all your latches are latching properly. That is make sure the driver and passenger doors are shutting correctly as well as the trunk is shut completely.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 08-30-2010, 12:05 PM   #17

Region: Texas

Dome light staying on is a common problem, the 'switch' for the dome light is located on the latch of each door. It is most likly the drivers side door since it gets used more often than the passenger door. The switch is located in the door latch mechanism and it gets full of crud over the years and sticks causing the dome light to stay on.
Not a hard fix, remove door panel, remove latch mechanism and replace switch, make sure you get the correct switch for the door you are working on, they are different from the drivers to passenger door.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:57 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I figured it be the bulb first. Than if it isn't must be worst off.
tjzola is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT