smoked tail lights /headlights and the cops - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-23-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
smoked tail lights /headlights and the cops

anyone ever get harassed or ticketed for these ....im not talkin blackouts im talkin smoked . I guess im moving from home here in NC to PA on the border of NJ (ugh hated recruitin up there ) but that wheree wifey from sooooo.... any way .

DOES THE COPS SUPPOSE TO GO BY THE LAWS "MY" CAR IS REGISTERED IN OR WILL I HAVE TO BOW DOWN TO THEIR LAWS CONCERNING TINT .SMOKED TAIL LIGHTS ETC. ????

im a disabled vet from iraq war withspecial sunglasses due to a head injury and i hate wearing them so a Dr. note shouldnt be a prob . i went to either NJ or PA DMV website and it said something about if medically necc.

whatcha think ? anyone heard of this

ps .. i also have a handicapped placard from these ol airborne knees .. hopefully i wont get **** with to much !!!!
brentmustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010, 01:11 AM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: smoked tail lights /headlights and the cops

Most cops won't mess with you. I doubt you can get a ticket for that with out of state registration.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:15 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

you can for sure get an in-state tail light tint ticket... ask me how I know The smoked, clear corner headlights from AM are DOT legal.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010, 07:27 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla

Good thing you aren't moving to Florida. You WILL get harrassed for them here. I am ordering new tail lights one of these days so I'll stop getting pulled over. Most of the time I get a warning but if the cop feels like being a jerk, they can give you a ticket for both $116 each. I can take my headlights covers off but my tails are spray tinted with VHS Nite Shade. I sometimes drive with my lights on if there seems to be a lot of cops out. The tails are translucent and you can't tell they are tinted when I have my lights on.

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to 95YellowGT_5.0

I can only speak for NJ here but if you have something from your Doctor to say you need the window tint because of a medical reason it is 100% legal.

If the tail lights are DOT apporoved than they should be legal throughout the USA, however a few states have laws regarding aftermarket lights on any kind. as far as i know NJ is not one of them. as long as the bulbs light the correct color you are good. but if you have a clear signal lense and a white bulb you are not legal, but if you have a yellow bulb your all good
Old 08-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95YellowGT_5.0 View Post
I can only speak for NJ here but if you have something from your Doctor to say you need the tint because of a medical reason it is 100% legal. If the tail lights are DOT apporoved than they should be legal throughout the USA, however a few states have laws regarding aftermarket lights on any kind. as far as i know NJ is not one of them. as long as the bulbs light the correct color you are good. but if you have a clear signal lense and a white bulb you are not legal, but if you have a yellow bulb your all good
You are thinking about window tint, not taillight tint.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

fixxed it
Old 08-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

thank you for the info on the window tint as i am "prescribed" sunglasses due to my traumatic brain injury from iraq war. I shall have my optometrist at the VA write me a prescription for window tint too !

as for my smoked lights i shall make sure they are DOT approved !!
Old 08-27-2010, 12:27 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentmustanggt View Post
thank you for the info on the window tint as i am "prescribed" sunglasses due to my traumatic brain injury from iraq war. I shall have my optometrist at the VA write me a prescription for window tint too !

as for my smoked lights i shall make sure they are DOT approved !!
as far as i know maryland is the only state in the north east that will give you problems on the tail lights

and thank you for serving and giving up so much for our freedom.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalayla View Post
Good thing you aren't moving to Florida. You WILL get harrassed for them here. I am ordering new tail lights one of these days so I'll stop getting pulled over. Most of the time I get a warning but if the cop feels like being a jerk, they can give you a ticket for both $116 each. I can take my headlights covers off but my tails are spray tinted with VHS Nite Shade. I sometimes drive with my lights on if there seems to be a lot of cops out. The tails are translucent and you can't tell they are tinted when I have my lights on.
Never got any hazzles in my area of FL

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla

Then be careful if you're ever driving through St. Aug and/or Jax.

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

i just drive with the windows down all the time lol
Old 08-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via Yahoo to 1ijack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95YellowGT_5.0 View Post
I can only speak for NJ here but if you have something from your Doctor to say you need the window tint because of a medical reason it is 100% legal.

If the tail lights are DOT apporoved than they should be legal throughout the USA, however a few states have laws regarding aftermarket lights on any kind. as far as i know NJ is not one of them. as long as the bulbs light the correct color you are good. but if you have a clear signal lense and a white bulb you are not legal, but if you have a yellow bulb your all good
I use to live in NJ. in washington Twp, which would be blackwood. I hated living there. served with the 42nd armor division in Ft Dix as an MP. So proud to say Thank you!

The Mustang Mafia
"Join the family, if you dare"
www.themustangmafia.com
1ijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:58 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other

phuck the police
Old 09-01-2010, 01:56 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Aidan_04

First off, thank you for serving. My father was 100% DAV from serving in Vietnam, and later, a brain aneurysm, so I know what you're dealing with.

Second, I agree with those talking about state (and local) laws. I've got tinted tails, and have never really had a problem, but when my husband ran them on his old v6, I think I recall a cop in our college town hassling him once or twice. I guess it just depends on where you are, and how they interpret the law.

If I'm wrong, someone correct me, because this might affect me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR View Post
^^^my fave V8 chick ^^^
Aidan_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:50 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ijack View Post
I use to live in NJ. in washington Twp, which would be blackwood. I hated living there. served with the 42nd armor division in Ft Dix as an MP. So proud to say Thank you!
What years were you in Ft. Dix? I was in Mcguire doing my time in the Air Force.
Wolfsbain76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:54 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan_04 View Post
First off, thank you for serving. My father was 100% DAV from serving in Vietnam, and later, a brain aneurysm, so I know what you're dealing with.

Second, I agree with those talking about state (and local) laws. I've got tinted tails, and have never really had a problem, but when my husband ran them on his old v6, I think I recall a cop in our college town hassling him once or twice. I guess it just depends on where you are, and how they interpret the law.

If I'm wrong, someone correct me, because this might affect me too.
You're not wrong, it depends on the cop. I have front and back blacked out, and I only get ticketed on them if I get pulled over for something else, then they have a field day with giving me tickets for tint and front and back covered lights. So each stop is a guranteed 4-5 tickets!
Wolfsbain76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

recruiting duty (yuck) from 04-07 . the cops and the civlians HATED us ....needless to say i wont be traveling to much thru that town ..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT