mustang vs wrx - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #1

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to ryanvo
mustang vs wrx

Hey i thought you guys might like to see my car in a drag race vs a wrx. The car is pretty much stock but was able to get a 14.1 out of it. Not to bad for the first time at the track.More videos and mods to come.
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Re: mustang vs wrx

If you could mod the Mustang out there would be no question.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Nice run! Yah the nice thing about those v8's that the v6 mustangs lack is the torque...you could definitely see the presence in the first part of the run.

A few performance mods, some gears and some suspension mods will get that sucker really moving...but as I said, not a bad run for stock.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanvo View Post
Hey i thought you guys might like to see my car in a drag race vs a wrx. The car is pretty much stock but was able to get a 14.1 out of it. Not to bad for the first time at the track.More videos and mods to come.

my sons friend wants me to race him and his wrx sti with my stock 02gt. im thinkin with 4.10's and a tune id beat his lil ricer a## !! what yall think ?
brentmustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #5

Dude I dont know the one that i raced was not an sti. However it seemed to have some mods. All I have in my car is a short throw, air intake, and flowmasters. I think it will be a close race however. It will probably come down to who can drive better. How are the 4:10s treating you?
Old 09-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #6
Road Trip!

I don't think the wrx driver knew what he was doing or it was an automatic. I have an 01 GT 5 speed with bbk shorties, high flow cats and slp loud mouth cat back an intake and rand a 93 octane sct tune and ran 14.0 @ 101.

I have an 04 wrx 5 speed with exhaust and ran 13.5 @ 102. Top end is about the same but I pulled a 1.7 60ft time and the mustang can't hang with an all wheel drive start.
ajpturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

too bad it wasnt an STI

2004 3.9L v6
Black on black on black

MAC Cold Air Intake, 4.10 gears + T-Lok, SCT Tuner, dual H piped flowmaster super 40's
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via Yahoo to 1ijack

The WRX is a awesome car and with so many import coming into play they are a force to be recon with. As part of the American Muscle class we need to put ourselves into the upper class. They can't compete with us stock they need NOS or turbos. As naturally aspirated motors we are no comparison to them.

The Mustang Mafia
"Join the family, if you dare"
www.themustangmafia.com
1ijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ijack View Post
The WRX is a awesome car and with so many import coming into play they are a force to be recon with. As part of the American Muscle class we need to put ourselves into the upper class. They can't compete with us stock they need NOS or turbos. As naturally aspirated motors we are no comparison to them.
What are you talking about? The wrx and WRX STI have turbos from the factory, meaning they are stock.

Do you know what the WRX STI runs STOCK? About 13 flat. No 4.6 V8 mustang can hang with that.

THen once you start to mod those subarus it's so easy to run low 12's.

Not hatin, just sayin. I have them both because they are both fun. But if you want a 1/4 monster, it's so cheap and easy to make an AWD WRX faster than a mustang

You need to put slicks on the mustang to run 1.7 60 foot times in the mustang. I can run 1.7 60 ft all day with my stock all season tires in my wrx
Old 09-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

In a word. Mustang.

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
.you could definitely see the presence in the first part of the run.

They were doing bracket racing.

Do you know what that is? That's why he pulled out ahead at the start but they finished really close at the end of the track. No way in hell a mustang could pull out of the hole on a WRX.....Trust me I have both of these cars.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Hey I am not saying they are not a good car. But anytime you put a import tuner against the american muscle cars such as Camaro, Corvette, Mustang, Firebird, and Challenger these cars all have a severe weight issue and that is why we cant compete with these cars. But if they didn't have turbos or Nos and we were lighter we would have the advantage.

The Mustang Mafia
www.themustangmafia.com
Old 09-04-2010, 11:46 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
. But if they didn't have turbos or Nos and we were lighter we would have the advantage.
Wow....You have it all figured out....

How about this one then, my 350z didn't have turbos or nos and was heavier than my 01' mustang gt 5speed and I ran a 13.9 and it was only a V6

Sounds like that should've been advantage mustang in all aspects so your arguments don't really hold any water with me.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my mustang but the top end is just an embarrassment to american engineering. I've never seen a car just die once it hits 4500 rpms. I don't know wheter to shift or just ride it out to the redline at 5800rpms.

I love beating up on mustangs and camaros in my 08' civic si sedan that I put a turbo on as I rip it to 9000 rpm and they don't even have time to count all four of my doors as I go by.....It's a good time. The mustang is such a slop compared to my civic and WRX but it's fun in it's own sloppy kind of a way.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:32 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

that is why i said that we are in a class by ourselves. So i think you have your wires crossed. and if you like beating up on mustangs so much why own one.

The Mustang Mafia
www.themustangmafia.com
Old 09-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
that is why i said that we are in a class by ourselves. So i think you have your wires crossed. and if you like beating up on mustangs so much why own one.
True
Old 09-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other

nice run
Old 09-05-2010, 11:42 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentmustanggt View Post
True
Thank you

The Mustang Mafia
www.themustangmafia.com
Old 09-06-2010, 01:21 AM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop1234 View Post
nice run
Thank you very much, it was nice
Old 09-06-2010, 01:30 AM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
Wait....remind me again why you need to be in a class all by yourself?....Is it becuase you have an engine that is over twice as big or becuase you have twice as many cylinders?

So even after all that, when you get beat by a 4 banger all you can say to feel good at the end of the day is that the turbo is an unfair advantage. The twice as large engine or double the amount of cylinders wasn't an advantage?

Also, not that many people with turbos run NOS. They don't know how to tune an engine to run properly on boost. It can be hard enough to get a car tuned well with just a turbo alone.

Why do I own a mustang you ask? Well my civic runs low 12's in the low 120's. So the top end is fun.

The WRX is good in the snow and runs mid 13's.

But I can't get sideways in those. So that's why I like the mustang.

And just becuase I can.

Do you hate me now?
Old 09-06-2010, 01:36 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I never said I hated you. I have my own opinion and that is all. I enjoy a good race and I can get down with my friends and enjoy their company even since they have ricers. They love the sound and the feel of my mustang. I keep telling me that i sit in a class that they dont want a part of. So if you would like to keep this going it is fine with me. American muscle may not be as fast stock as your ricer, but we hold history and honor to drag racing.

The Mustang Mafia
www.themustangmafia.com
Old 09-06-2010, 08:03 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I never said I hated you. I have my own opinion and that is all. I enjoy a good race and I can get down with my friends and enjoy their company even since they have ricers. They love the sound and the feel of my mustang. I keep telling me that i sit in a class that they dont want a part of. So if you would like to keep this going it is fine with me. American muscle may not be as fast stock as your ricer, but we hold history and honor to drag racing.
Gimme a turbo and awd and let's race!! No replacement for displacement !!
Old 09-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpturbo View Post
What are you talking about? The wrx and WRX STI have turbos from the factory, meaning they are stock.

Do you know what the WRX STI runs STOCK? About 13 flat. No 4.6 V8 mustang can hang with that.

I beg to differ.. Unless you meant stock ones

For the record, a car may run 13s flat but that doesn't mean the driver can do it, and in a subaru that also means a 4k+ RPM clutch drop off the line to take advantage of the added grip of the AWD as well as have the car in its powerband on take-off, normal take off in those cars will cut an easy half second off their 1/4 time

Good example of driver's race would be.. In one night I beat 2 different 03/04 cobras at the track, When I was a lot closer to stock.. My runs were only equivalent to ~13.5s but still completely destroyed one, and the other one couldn't drive and played catch-up the entire race. I know I didn't beat the car, but does that matter in a race?
Old 09-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #23
Road Trip!

^ Yes I meant stock 4.6 non supercharged V8 mustang. I ran a 14.0 in my 01' GT 5 speed with boltons. I remember seeing a car and driver time for my car of 14.5.

Yes you need to launch an awd car hard to extract good times. But why would you launch it easy? Would you launch your mustang easy?.....No.

Those cobra drivers were just terrible then.

And if you were doing bracket racing then it's no wonder they were playing catch up.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:39 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
^ Yes I meant stock 4.6 non supercharged V8 mustang. I ran a 14.0 in my 01' GT 5 speed with boltons. I remember seeing a car and driver time for my car of 14.5.

Yes you need to launch an awd car hard to extract good times. But why would you launch it easy? Would you launch your mustang easy?.....No.

Those cobra drivers were just terrible then.

And if you were doing bracket racing then it's no wonder they were playing catch up.
I did specify that I'd beaten the drivers, not the cars. Which was exactly my point.

And no it wasn't bracket racing, I know how the track works.. I basically grew up there..

And why would you launch a subaru easy? Maybe something to do with cost of replacing the parts that can't take the abuse without some upgrades..

We had a crew of ~8 guys in our typical track outings back when I was at school - the track was about 30 minutes from school.. 5 of the 8 drove subarus (on NA 2 door impreza, a couple of WRXs, an STI and a forester turbo). I either brought my regal or my rustang, there was another mustang guy and one with an Audi 90 quattro with a 10v turbo 5 banger swapped in..

When weather permitted we went pretty much weekly

Within one year every single one of them switched to launching a lot more softly than needed to get the best times (except the NA impreza), due to expensive, or pain in the *** repairs (not every car had issues but most did, and the others didn't want those same issues) and two had warranties and weren't worried.. til the repair attempts were rejected due to 'clear signs of abuse'.. One was a clutch, another was a center diff that was making noise

Neither of my cars broke.. Nor did the other mustang guy, nor Audi guy (surprisingly)

The ONLY things that caused damage or carnage were the hard launches

Just my experience.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:47 PM   #25
Road Trip!

^ That's cool.

Almost everytime I go to the track I always see a mustang blow a rear end which has me worried about mine. And I see awd cars with no driveline work just more boost beating the hell out of them and they never seem to have problems.

Just my experience.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:52 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
^ That's cool.

Almost everytime I go to the track I always see a mustang blow a rear end which has me worried about mine. And I see awd cars with no driveline work just more boost beating the hell out of them and they never seem to have problems.

Just my experience.
To each his own

Personally I'm not worried about blowing up the rear in my stang..

If it does go, a full and basically bulletproof upgrade is a LOT more affordable than just about any driveline part on a Subaru.. BTW I do like Subarus.. Don't get me wrong. Awesome in light offroading, snow and autocrosses..

I've seen mostly higher powered 80s cars blow rear ends at the track.. I've seen tons of civics launching from redline on slicks snap a halfshaft.. Those are always funny *rev to moon.. drop clutch.. car lurches then bounces off rv limiter, loud banging noise heard from under car.. car gets pushed off track, clanking the whole way*

I'd have to say most fun one to see was a donked out monte carlo (at least 22s on the tank) entire left axle slid out of the rear and car dropped on its tail a few feet past the tree haha
Old 09-07-2010, 12:28 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I am glad that there are others who see my point. I don't care about racing you or any ricer. I know that my car sounds and looks good and when it comes down to it, It will perform the way that i drive it. I like pputting my car up against other cars in shows and local races.

The Mustang Mafia
www.themustangmafia.com
Old 09-07-2010, 09:59 AM   #28
Road Trip!

You guys are funny. You say you don't care about racing me or any ricer but then when you beat one you say american muscle is better or if you get spanked by one then you cry it's not fair.

You can make anything fast as long as you have the coin.

I'm glad that I have 3 different kinds of fast cars so I can take the one out that suits me that day.

People on the import forums are funny too. They usually hate american muscle and it's the pinnacle for them to beat a V8.

The people with 4 bangers have an inferiority complex becuase of their little engine so they love it when they beat a V8.

And the V8 people believe they are the **** because they are loud and rumble and have torque and they don't want to believe that sometimes an import can be faster. It's like a pride thing or like the bloods and the krypts.

Like a bunch of little kids....I might be too old to be here

I was looking at some old mustang vs wrx threads on here and damn some of you are just ill informed.

I have both and I can tell you the WRX will pull out of the hole on MY mustang and it will never recover.

Turbos are not just for horsepower. They also provide nice torque and it comes in down low. Most factory turbo setups have nice flat torque curves that V8's usually can't dream of.

And to those of you that say there is no replacement for displacement, that's exactly what a turbo does is effectively increase displacement by providing airflow that's comparable to a larger engine.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

Lets stop comparing epeens here.

Some points I'd like to make:

-Having a v8 doesn't automatically make you superior or put you in another class of vehicle... unless maybe that car is a Ford GT.
-A WRX is a competitive if not superior car to the mustang gt stock for stock.
-There is no replacement for displacement.
-A turbo that "effectively increase displacement by providing airflow that's comparable to a larger engine" can also be applied to v8s, which I believe is the stance that most board members would take - that an N/A v8 has a ton of untapped potential.
-Stating that you are older and more mature than those you are debating against, and then make similar themed threads is not a sign of maturity, but rather hypocrisy.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #30

Haha if i had know that people would argue about this then i would not have posted it. I thought i just had a decent run for pretty much a stock mustang and thought that some mustang fans might like to see. Honestly when i pulled up on the line i thought for sure that guy would kill me caues i know those cars are fast but i guess i just got lucky.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to 02Nate281 Send a message via MSN to 02Nate281 Send a message via Yahoo to 02Nate281 Send a message via Skype™ to 02Nate281

Here's a point I would like to make: The only replacement for displacement is a small, sometimes greenish-gray, piece of paper that fits surprisingly well into my right-side rear pocket.
With all of the hating and bashing going on, I'm surprised this thread hasn't been closed yet.
As for the original post, that was a good run. It's nice to see our members getting out there and competing, even if only for fun.
And as far as comparison between Mustangs and ricers, I'm not biased. Hell, I used to drive a 95 Integra and I loved it. If it's fast, well maintained and looks good, I'm all for it.

Just for the record, modular engines are a pain in my ***, give me a B18 any day...
Old 09-08-2010, 12:30 AM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Nate281 View Post
Here's a point I would like to make: The only replacement for displacement is a small, sometimes greenish-gray, piece of paper that fits surprisingly well into my right-side rear pocket.
With all of the hating and bashing going on, I'm surprised this thread hasn't been closed yet.
As for the original post, that was a good run. It's nice to see our members getting out there and competing, even if only for fun.
And as far as comparison between Mustangs and ricers, I'm not biased. Hell, I used to drive a 95 Integra and I loved it. If it's fast, well maintained and looks good, I'm all for it.

Just for the record, modular engines are a pain in my ***, give me a B18 any day...
Surprisingly little bashing going on and no direct attacks.. And only one person seems mildly offended

I am far from a hypocrite.. I drove a loose, floaty buick that ran high 12s for the better part of 3 years.. and a year before that when it was slower..

That's a v6 FWD.. I've also owned a honda prelude *gasp* and a 2 4 banger stangs (one of which was turbo'd..) I completely understand that mustangs are pretty much loud, mostly uncivilized and not very refined, but there's just something about them that keeps me coming back.. I am on my 6th rustang right now..
Old 09-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

I wouldn't consider all imports ricers. Ricey is a term for shameful imports who think that show is more important than go. A WRX is not a ricey car stock (minus the hideous spoiler). Its only ricey if they throw a body kit, don't paint it, slap a dragon on the side, and replace the exhaust with a coffee tin.

Its not about where the car comes from. It matters how clean it looks, what kind of numbers it puts out, and to a lesser extent, what it sounds like.

With that said, I'm pretty sure the 2011 WRX STI runs 13.5s in the quarter mile stock and the 2011 5.0 will run low 13s. Its pretty much a driver's race... but the Mustang is N/A, so if I were to pick one, I'd pick the N/A v8 for modding reasons.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #34
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas View Post
. A WRX is not a ricey car stock (minus the hideous spoiler).

but the Mustang is N/A, so if I were to pick one, I'd pick the N/A v8 for modding reasons.
Was the spoiler on the Cobra R hideous also???? Just curious

If you picked the N/A V8 mustang for modding reasons you would've made the wrong choice. Do you know how easy and cheap it is to increase boost pressure on a turbo car? You can buy parts from home depot for 20 bucks if you don't have 100 to buy a commercially available boost controller.

Or spend 1000 dollars and do it the right way with engine manangement and exhuast and you can easily get 100 horsepower on the WRX.

I have intake, headers hfc and cat back and sct tune on my 01 mustang GT 5 speed and I bet I ONLY added 30 horsepower.And spent about 2200 dollars

I spent about 800 on used WRX STI injectors and the larger STI turbo and an internet tune to reprogram the ECU and don't need a boost controller because it's all done through the computer and put down 310 whp.

P.S. anyone that you see with a boost controller on a WRX isn't raising the boost the right way. That's not the way to do it but it works.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Was the spoiler on the Cobra R hideous also???? Just curious
Yes, I do think the Cobra R's spoiler is too tall. AND it has a longer profile and is a coupe. So imagine how much I dislike the WRX's spoiler being shorter and a four door.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT