Simple shifter/tranny question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-27-2007, 10:02 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Simple shifter/tranny question

Will a tremec triax shifter fit on a '99 GT manual transmission? Need to know before I buy it.
Saleen #232
USMCSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida
Re: Simple shifter/tranny question

Tri-Ax Shifter for T-5 & T-45<br>(82-Mid 2001 V8 & 94-04 V6)

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via MSN to SilentNoise

Screw the Tri-Ax, buy an MGW shifter. You won't regret it.
Mustang Short Throw Shifter

.... or are you talking about buying the tranny and using the shifter you already have?

Wolf Pack Car Club - Domestic V8 Performance Club (Edmonton, AB, Canada)

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." -Robert X. Cringely
SilentNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2007, 01:04 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

He is looking at picking up the tri-ax for about $100 shipped or so used. I have been talking with him about it and found him one that is in a 99 cobra for sale.

I also said if you don't mind spending a few more $$$ to go with the MGW, but the tri-ax will be fine if he is on a budget and wants to save some dough. It was fine on my 00 GT...hated it on my T56 though.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via MSN to 1996stang Send a message via Yahoo to 1996stang

I love my tri-ax.If you are asking if a shifter from a tko 500 or 600 will fit i dont know. if you are asking if a shifter from a tr-3650 will fit a t-45 or vise versa no it wont.
1996stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:28 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, so this may sound stupid, but how do I know if I have a 3650 or a T5/T45? I have a 1999 Saleen w/ original tranny.
Saleen #232
Old 03-27-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
He is looking at picking up the tri-ax for about $100 shipped or so used. I have been talking with him about it and found him one that is in a 99 cobra for sale.

I also said if you don't mind spending a few more $$$ to go with the MGW, but the tri-ax will be fine if he is on a budget and wants to save some dough. It was fine on my 00 GT...hated it on my T56 though.
Ah OK, ya for $100 you're laughin. Good buy if you can get your hands on it.

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." -Robert X. Cringely
Old 03-27-2007, 02:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via MSN to 1996stang Send a message via Yahoo to 1996stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCSS View Post
Ok, so this may sound stupid, but how do I know if I have a 3650 or a T5/T45? I have a 1999 Saleen w/ original tranny.
Dont hold me too this the t-45 was used on 96-mid 01 gt's.And also on 99 cobra's i think.The tr-3650 was used on mid 01-04 gt's mach1's and 01 cobra.You should have a t-45
1996stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCSS View Post
From AmericanMuscle.com
Quote:
In order to identify what kind of Mustang transmission you have, you need to check the door tag on your drivers side door jam. If you look down to the bottom right of the tag, you should see an area labeled "TR." Underneath this label there are 5 letters and numbers. The only one that we are concerned with is the first alpha-numeric character which corresponds to your Mustang Transmission.

If you have a 6 as your first digit, you have five-speed manual, T-45 OD Mustang Transmission. This is the standard Mustang transmission that is found in 1996 to Mid 2001 Mustang GTs as well as 1996 to 1998 Mustang Cobras.

If you have a 5 as your first digit, your car came with a T-5 OD Mustang transmission.

Finally, if you have a K as the first digit in the "TR" code, you have a TR-3650. This Mustang Transmission is found in mid-2001 to 2004 Mustang GT, the 2003 and 2004 Mach1 and the 2001 Cobra. The 2005-2007 manual Mustang GT's also a T-3650.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shambles-door-jam copy.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	16895  

Old 03-27-2007, 02:25 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

the 3650 was in mid 01+ if I remember right, not all the way back to 99. The 99 models had the T-45 the cobra just had a bit better T-45. My friend swaped a 99 cobra trans into his 96 mustang and reused his steeda shifter, but do check the codes from the above post.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:35 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The label in my door jam is a bit different than the one pictured in Silentnoise's post. However, right under where it says "TR" there is just a single number 6 with no other numbers or letters so I guess it's safe to say that I have a T-45 OD and I guess it's safe to say that the shifter WILL fit. PureVenom, do you agree? You saw the shifter I'm trying to buy.
Saleen #232
Old 03-27-2007, 05:40 PM   #12
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Based on the evidence I have seen here...I agree. I haven't heard back on your banning...but if you want that one, I will shoot him a pm and pretend I am you.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I'd like to know why I'm banned from a site I've never even been on.2: As for that shifter you were telling me about, let me see how this one I'm looking at turns out if you know what I mean. If not, I'll get you to get in touch with that guy for me.
Saleen #232
Old 03-27-2007, 06:10 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

I loved my triaxx but then again the MGW was only being introduced when I bought it (from the then- sponsor of ME shiftergaskets)
Old 03-28-2007, 03:12 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

I'm a very brand loyal kind of fellow, and I tipically haven't been a big Steeda fan(not that there a bad produce or anything) but the Tri-Ax in my Cobra is the shiznit, I love it. I drove another Terminator with a MGW and I liked the Tri-Ax more and thats me being staight up honest, plus its better for ripping through the gears really hard if your into that kind of thing. Still the MGW is a very quality piece of machine work. Its ashame that your suppose to cover it up.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:35 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
Still the MGW is a very quality piece of machine work. Its ashame that your suppose to cover it up.
Ain't that the truth.

In a road race car where you've stripped everything down the bare bones, it'd definitely stand out as a show piece.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:28 AM   #17
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
I'm a very brand loyal kind of fellow, and I tipically haven't been a big Steeda fan(not that there a bad produce or anything) but the Tri-Ax in my Cobra is the shiznit, I love it. I drove another Terminator with a MGW and I liked the Tri-Ax more and thats me being staight up honest, plus its better for ripping through the gears really hard if your into that kind of thing. Still the MGW is a very quality piece of machine work. Its ashame that your suppose to cover it up.
I couldn't stand my tri-ax in the cobra. It was way too notchy and ****. The MGW is like butter in my car. I liked the tri-ax in my 00 GT, but can't stand it on the T56.

Just another notch to the "you're weird" tally.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:24 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentNoise View Post
Ah OK, ya for $100 you're laughin. Good buy if you can get your hands on it.
Ya I am laughing a little cause I finally won the shifter on ebay for about $60 shipped. It has about 8K to 12K miles on it but for a third of the cost of a new one I figured what the hell, why not??? It's not that I'm on a budget. I'm getting ready to drop plenty of doe into it in the next month. Off x-pipes, headers, smaller pulley on the SC, new chip and a dyno. Haven't been able to get it done yet because it's my daily driver and that work will take a couple of days at the shop I'm taking it to and I can't be without wheels for very long right now due to a busy time of year with my job.
Saleen #232

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT