Storage - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:27 AM   #1
Region: Utah

Need some advice on what to do to my car to prep it for long term storage. The military is moving me to Japan for the next three years. I'm going to be putting it into a self storage unit in SLC, Utah and once a month my family is going to fire it up and drive it around a little bit. Of course I'll be buying a car cover for it...was also planning on doing a coolant flush since it gets cold here in the winters. Also going to be putting fuel stabilizer in it. Any other suggestions for long term storage let me know! Thanks.

austindk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Storage

I used to have to store my car for 6-7 months in the winter time. What you just talked about is about all you need to do. Just make sure to put some stabil in the tank and disconnect the battery. When someone comes to start it up, just have them hook up the battery and then disconnect it when done.

"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

Sounds about right. What are Utah winters like? Just cold or is it freezing cold, snow, ice, salt, etc?

Also, might want to scout out the storage area and make sure there are no small animals that might want to make your car home. I don't know about Utah, but its pretty common (with squirrels) in the northeast.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Michigan

Yeah, you got all the standard storage prep with fuel stabilizer and disconnecting the battery. And yeah, definitely put it in a storage facility, that way no falling debris from trees, any stalking animals, vandalism or anything else can bother it!
Sounds like you got it covered!
Good luck to you!
mustang03ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:00 AM   #5

I use a battery tender over the winter months, and two car covers. The one thing I wish I can do is lift the car so that it takes the weight off the tires. Otherwise you get those flat spots on the bottom of the tires. "I hate that when that happens". Since I don’t have the capability to elevate the car, I drive it every few weeks over the winter. Best of luck
zero2sixty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:57 AM   #6
Registered Member
Region: Maine

Along with the other suggestions, change the oil right before putting her up too. You don't want that crap sitting in your engine for a long time. Also, mothballs through out the interior. Helps to keep out the critters.

Murph's Glassback!
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT