4.6.... want more ponies... help? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-02-2007, 02:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Montana
Send a message via Yahoo to alwaysthefinest
Question 4.6.... want more ponies... help?

Okay, so I'm 24 years young and I have a 98 GT with 3.73 gears (is that right???). I am the 3rd owner. The car is mint but has HIGH MILES (167,000) but runs better than any 4.6 I've been in... I don't know the full history but I've been stomping the **** out of everyone around here. I read in a post that the 4.6 GT is a SOHC???? Mine is a DOHC.... does that mean that this isn't the stock engine? Anyways. I'm not by anymeans made of money so, what's the cheapest way to start adding horsepower? I already have a nitrous kit but I havn't installed it yet. What do I need to make this engine the same as a Cobra engine? I'm doing a Saleen clone... but I need to add some ponies first!!! Please help!? Oh, I'm a Newbie here too...
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2007, 02:14 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Re: 4.6.... want more ponies... help?

yes, all GT's are sohc, dohc came on the cobras/mach1's. its possible that a previous owner has done a dohc 4v swap, which is why your car feels stronger than other 4.6ers. there is also a strong possibility while the car has 167k on it, it could be a newer motor from a mach1 or 99-01 cobra (being a 4v 4.6l as well) with less miles than the chassis.

if the bottom end is still the original bottom end, i wouldnt recommend using any power adders on it unless you plan on rebuilding it soon and have a savings account ready for a new bottom end. if the motor has actually entirely been replaced with a mach1 or the like, and it has low miles on the motor and is really a 4v, it will love nitrous or forced induction, though if i recall the mach1 have a little higher compression than their forced induced 4v 4.6l cobra counterparts, and have a weaker crank if im not mistaken.

you definately have quite a conundrum on your hands.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:22 AM   #3
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

got pictures of the motor?

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2007, 02:56 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I just went outside to look. Then I looked up 98 GT engines on yahoo and it looks the same http://www.coolasscars.com/ron/image...ustang98gt.jpg

Now, I'm confussed because when they replaced the water pump they asked me if it was a SOHC or DOHC... I said I had no clue, they looked and came back and said it was DOHC and had a pump that was made for DOHC put in??? Should I be concerned???? Still wondering why the hell my car pulls so damn hard and strong!? It has 3.73 gears, wide dual MAGNAFLO exhaust... and a short shift kit... that's all that I'm aware of? It ran rough when I got it, but I threw in new plugs and ran some injector cleaner (one plug was loose) and now it runs liked a raped ape.... how much to rebuild the engine? And is it worth it? Or is it cheaper to get a cobra engine? Or, I guess what engine is the best for the best price??? ****, now I gotta start saving...
Old 04-02-2007, 04:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysthefinest View Post
I just went outside to look. Then I looked up 98 GT engines on yahoo and it looks the same http://www.coolasscars.com/ron/image...ustang98gt.jpg

Now, I'm confussed because when they replaced the water pump they asked me if it was a SOHC or DOHC... I said I had no clue, they looked and came back and said it was DOHC and had a pump that was made for DOHC put in??? Should I be concerned???? Still wondering why the hell my car pulls so damn hard and strong!? It has 3.73 gears, wide dual MAGNAFLO exhaust... and a short shift kit... that's all that I'm aware of? It ran rough when I got it, but I threw in new plugs and ran some injector cleaner (one plug was loose) and now it runs liked a raped ape.... how much to rebuild the engine? And is it worth it? Or is it cheaper to get a cobra engine? Or, I guess what engine is the best for the best price??? ****, now I gotta start saving...
Thats the SOHC engine. Even though it uses 2 camshafts, it only has one in each cylinderhead. If it were a DOHC motor it would have 2 camshafts in each cylinderhead for a total of 4 camshafts.

I'm no big mechanical or anything but maybe you could take it to one and have them service it and check the compression and if it still in good shape you could probably through your Nitrious kit on there and it will run fine, but I don't know that to be a fact. I'm not sure how much a new motor or a rebuild would cost, but you could get some PI heads and a supercharger and that thing would be making some pretty good power.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:13 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Is your lower intake (in the valley of the motor between the cylinder heads) a plastic intake? or is it half aluminum?

Previous owner may have swapped over the PI heads from the 99-04 GTs (still SOHC though)
Old 04-02-2007, 08:01 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

sounds like you have a SOHC motor, maybe its a 99-04 because the stock 94-98 gts (96-98 4.6L) are rather slow anywhere near stock.

Can you get us a picture?

If you find outs its the oem engine then it would be a good idea to invest in some PI heads and rebuild the engine with some good internals so you can really get some power out of her in the future.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:07 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via MSN to 1996stang Send a message via Yahoo to 1996stang

Quote:

that my friend would be a non-pi sohc motor
Old 04-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The intake is plastic. I don't have any clue what's been done but when I race my friends in there stock GT's I smoke them so bad, low and top end! Like I said, here is a link to what the motor looks like... Not from my car but one on YAHOO... http://fastcoolcars.com/images/Rons%...tang98gt14.jpg It has lot of new thick red FORD RACING plug wires, and some newer chrom looking things with plugs going into them (kinda above the plugs on drivers side of engine)I wish I knew more about the car... So, PI HEADS???? Where do I get those for a good price?
Old 04-02-2007, 11:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via MSN to 1996stang Send a message via Yahoo to 1996stang

Quote:
The intake is plastic. I don't have any clue what's been done but when I race my friends in there stock GT's I smoke them so bad, low and top end! Like I said, here is a link to what the motor looks like... Not from my car but one on YAHOO... http://fastcoolcars.com/images/Rons%...tang98gt14.jpg It has lot of new thick red FORD RACING plug wires, and some newer chrom looking things with plugs going into them (kinda above the plugs on drivers side of engine)I wish I knew more about the car... So, PI HEADS???? Where do I get those for a good price?
you can get PI heads and the intake from a junkyard try too find a 02-04 with the aluminum runner on the intake.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:37 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

So any 02-04 mustang? Or gt? ???
Old 04-03-2007, 02:17 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So any 02-04 mustang? Or gt? ???
The 99-04 Mustang GT's came with the PI heads, he's just saying that the 02-04 Mustang GT's intake manifold are made with aluminum where the thermistat housing is because the plastic one can crack from the hot coolent. (I know that from experience)

Here the PI intake manifold will the front aluminum piece.
gefracing.com: PI INTAKE MANIFOLD

PI heads.
gefracing.com: POWER IMPROVEMENT HEAD
Old 04-03-2007, 02:26 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Ah.... So I get the PI intake manifold and that will give me more horsepower? Yeah, I need to take a mechanics class
Old 04-03-2007, 02:30 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ah.... So I get the PI intake manifold and that will give me more horsepower? Yeah, I need to take a mechanics class
I would defenately fined a good mechanic in your area to talk to before you start throwing a bunch of money at your car.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:14 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

LOL.... yeah, I know.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:16 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

What kind of turbo or supercharger could I go with? And where would I get the best deal online?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT