Flat Shifting - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-23-2007, 09:40 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 5
Lightbulb Flat Shifting

Hi i have had a 02 mustang(full stock) for about 2.5 months now. When racing friends on the highway who have tuned up there cars i see myslef falling behind them just slightly. i have heard that flatshifting(shift with out clutch-though rpm's) can be faster when use correctly. i have tried doing this but it seems that the car only lets me flat shift when im around 2-2.5k rpm's i no this cant be right cuz i am getting nothing out of the gears and im in 4gear by 65mps- compared to when i clutch shift i can make it to 65-70 in third gear. if any1 has any hints/tips on how to shift with out the clutch plz respond to help me become a betterdriver and hopfully beat my friend's sup'ed up 01-


Doinurx-
doinurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-23-2007, 10:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
matthews.stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 397
Re: Flat Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by doinurx View Post
Hi i have had a 02 mustang(full stock) for about 2.5 months now. When racing friends on the highway who have tuned up there cars i see myslef falling behind them just slightly. i have heard that flatshifting(shift with out clutch-though rpm's) can be faster when use correctly. i have tried doing this but it seems that the car only lets me flat shift when im around 2-2.5k rpm's i no this cant be right cuz i am getting nothing out of the gears and im in 4gear by 65mps- compared to when i clutch shift i can make it to 65-70 in third gear. if any1 has any hints/tips on how to shift with out the clutch plz respond to help me become a betterdriver and hopfully beat my friend's sup'ed up 01-


Doinurx-
Your transmission is gonna love you.
__________________
matthews.stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:33 PM   #3
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 5
Re: Flat Shifting

hehe yea i no-but i gota win
doinurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-23-2007, 10:34 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Flat Shifting

My hint is...don't do it. You need to be able to RPM match for each gear...which may take a couple seconds for the RPMs to drop to the desired level = slow.

If you want to shift faster, don't lift your gas foot while shifting...get a short shifter...and practice rowing through the gears.
__________________
"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:40 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Thomas91169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Region: California
Posts: 2,280
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Re: Flat Shifting

NO

our trannies might be able to take quite a bit of abuse, but push them past the limit and screw up once and they will let you know they are displeased with your actions. in other words, dont do it. find another way to gain an advantage, like a set of gears or something.
__________________
-Thomas-

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Region: Texas
Posts: 317
Re: Flat Shifting

here's a thought... you don't want to shift, buy an auto. otherwise, buy a short shifter and learn your shifting sweet spot. that way when you shift (with the clutch), you get the maximum power and maximum thrust.
__________________
~Roman~

2003 Mustang V6 Vert with a Flowmaster Super 40 series dual exhaust
I'm not a target in the sights of your mercy. I've never asked for anything. I'm not asking now.
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:32 AM   #7
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 5
Re: Flat Shifting

who said i dont want to shift-im only looking for a faster way to shift-
doinurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:21 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2006
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 350
Send a message via MSN to 1996stang Send a message via Yahoo to 1996stang
Re: Flat Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by doinurx View Post
who said i dont want to shift-im only looking for a faster way to shift-
Faster way= short-throw shifter and learning how to use it.
__________________
2004 mach 1 stock and staying that way.
1996stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:27 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
bbunt302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Re: Flat Shifting

If you really want faster shifts, you could try power shifting. It's not the best thing in the world for your clutch, engine or transmission either, but it is safer than clutchless shifting.



All you do is never take your foot off the gas when you push in the clutch to change gears.

There are two important things to remember here: 1) Don't try to do this and shift at redline. You probably shouldn't be shifting at redline anyway in a stock car. If you start bouncing off the limiter, you may cause serious harm to your engine. 2) You'll want to get a good short throw shifter first. This can be done with the stock shifter, but only if you really know what you are doing.

I wish your tranny luck. It's going to need it...
__________________

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:31 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Flat Shifting

make sure where you are shifting is correct, the car does not peak power at redline in most cases it peaks before so you dont need to go much if any past the peak rpm of the vehicle.
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:33 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
MonteCitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: California
Posts: 2,506
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Re: Flat Shifting

I always use the clutch.. doesn't mean I take my foot off the gas entirely, but I still use the clutch..
__________________
2012 IS F Blue IS F Sport
2006 Mustang V6 wannabe
MonteCitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:28 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
bullitt482's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 1,106
Re: Flat Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
NO

our trannies might be able to take quite a bit of abuse, but push them past the limit and screw up once and they will let you know they are displeased with your actions. in other words, dont do it. find another way to gain an advantage, like a set of gears or something.
I powershifted my T3650 for over 70,000 miles and it hasn't missed a beat.. Everyone knows speedshifting is for *******. Then again, that was on a pretty much stock car
__________________
01 Bullitt
bullitt482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 273
Re: Flat Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt482 View Post
I Everyone knows speedshifting is for *******.
guess i'm a *****
Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:12 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Thomas91169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Region: California
Posts: 2,280
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Re: Flat Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt482 View Post
I powershifted my T3650 for over 70,000 miles and it hasn't missed a beat.. Everyone knows speedshifting is for *******. Then again, that was on a pretty much stock car
yeah but if by powershifting you mean shifting without taking your foot off the gas (i call it NLTS or No Lift To Shift) than yeah, i do that often when im driving agressively. but as far as clutchless shifting, no ****ing way. give me a dog-box tranny and im all over not using the clutch. stock tranny from the factory, nope, ill still use my gas-clutch-gas method thank you very much.

btw NLTS is a term used by many turbo cars with the ability to modify ecu parameters (like with dsmlink). you can set the rev limit when the clutch switch is engaged (ie clutch depressed) to a certain point (like say, 5500rpm). this way, you can stay WOT the entire time, when you engage the clutch, the ecu automatically hits the rev limiter and backs off rpm to 5500 (if youre really that slow at shifting, setting the rev limiter is just useful so you dont just redline the motor to hell and back when shifting) but since the turbo stays spooled based on load, and youre still WOT, the turbo stays spooled during the shift, your motor doesnt rev out, and you come into the next gear at the same boost you left the previous one at. i used it on my GST and while its not much of a big deal with a smaller turbo, when you get into the larger turbos, especially non ball-bearing ones, keeping the boost at or just around the turbo's set amount during the entire run will make quite the difference.

this is also the same thing as a studderbox for full-boost launches, you stay wot and spool the turbo while the revs still stay at a set point till the ecu senses youve reached a certain speed (7-10mph is what most awd guys set that speed at) and then it returns that set rev limiter to the desired rev limiter for the entire rpm range (like 7-7.5k)
__________________
-Thomas-

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
bullitt482's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 1,106
Re: Flat Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
yeah but if by powershifting you mean shifting without taking your foot off the gas (i call it NLTS or No Lift To Shift) than yeah, i do that often when im driving agressively. but as far as clutchless shifting, no ****ing way. give me a dog-box tranny and im all over not using the clutch. stock tranny from the factory, nope, ill still use my gas-clutch-gas method thank you very much.

btw NLTS is a term used by many turbo cars with the ability to modify ecu parameters (like with dsmlink). you can set the rev limit when the clutch switch is engaged (ie clutch depressed) to a certain point (like say, 5500rpm). this way, you can stay WOT the entire time, when you engage the clutch, the ecu automatically hits the rev limiter and backs off rpm to 5500 (if youre really that slow at shifting, setting the rev limiter is just useful so you dont just redline the motor to hell and back when shifting) but since the turbo stays spooled based on load, and youre still WOT, the turbo stays spooled during the shift, your motor doesnt rev out, and you come into the next gear at the same boost you left the previous one at. i used it on my GST and while its not much of a big deal with a smaller turbo, when you get into the larger turbos, especially non ball-bearing ones, keeping the boost at or just around the turbo's set amount during the entire run will make quite the difference.

this is also the same thing as a studderbox for full-boost launches, you stay wot and spool the turbo while the revs still stay at a set point till the ecu senses youve reached a certain speed (7-10mph is what most awd guys set that speed at) and then it returns that set rev limiter to the desired rev limiter for the entire rpm range (like 7-7.5k)
Thank you for your totally off topic lesson for the day



Powershifting is leaving your foot floored while shifting with the clutch and that is a general definition, not just my interpretation. NLTS??? That's the first time I've EVER heard that term on any forum, dragstrip, streetraces, etc.

A guy I used to work with has a two step(studder setup not box in this case) on their stangs with the stock computer and a programmer. They have theirs set at 1 mph.
__________________
01 Bullitt
bullitt482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:34 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Thomas91169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Region: California
Posts: 2,280
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Re: Flat Shifting

the rx7 and supra guys call it that too. i always though it was a dsm thing until we had a few rx7 and supra guys come to our meet and they called it nlts as well.

btw offtopic responses usually happen when im bored late at night. you should be grateful to be in the presence of such awesomeness.
__________________
-Thomas-

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:30 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
bullitt482's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 1,106
Re: Flat Shifting

Well, without me, it's just aweso
__________________
01 Bullitt
bullitt482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:49 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
meteorachick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,347
Send a message via AIM to meteorachick
Re: Flat Shifting

(a) you are going to seriously screw up your tranny
(b) street racing is for losers. take it to the track.
__________________
In God We Trust. All Others Checked NCIC.

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:05 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 273
Re: Flat Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorachick View Post
street racing is for losers.
o'well, guess I'll always be a loser
Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:07 PM   #20
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Flat Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape View Post
o'well, guess I'll always be a loser
As long as you accept that...that is the first step. I too have accepted my loser status...
__________________
"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:45 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
bullitt482's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 1,106
Re: Flat Shifting

I'm a loser to, but I know for a fact when I "street race" the only chance for people getting hurt is me and the person I'm racing. Our setup is safer than the local dragstrip, trust me. Been doing it for 6 years and never had so much as a close call.
__________________
01 Bullitt
bullitt482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:47 AM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Herbstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Region: Florida
Posts: 2,932
Re: Flat Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
As long as you accept that...that is the first step. I too have accepted my loser status...
X 3
__________________

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:06 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 273
Re: Flat Shifting

damn, what a bunch of losers
Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Thomas91169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Region: California
Posts: 2,280
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Re: Flat Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorachick View Post
(b) street racing is for losers. take it to the track.
when they make a track that lets me run people from a 40 roll up to 140, then well talk.
__________________
-Thomas-

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:48 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
meteorachick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,347
Send a message via AIM to meteorachick
Re: Flat Shifting

meh, its not real racing if you start from a roll


and as for Tape....who are u and wtf is up with all of your incredibly annoying posts?
__________________
In God We Trust. All Others Checked NCIC.

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:56 PM   #26
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Flat Shifting

I don't see where his posts are annoying other than calling himself a loser and then going along with the rest of us that also claim loser status based on your previous definition of street racers being losers....his posts have actually been helpful...
__________________
"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:00 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
meteorachick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,347
Send a message via AIM to meteorachick
Re: Flat Shifting

i meant in this thread, they seemed annoying to me
__________________
In God We Trust. All Others Checked NCIC.

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:47 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 273
Re: Flat Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorachick View Post
meh, its not real racing if you start from a roll


and as for Tape....who are u and wtf is up with all of your incredibly annoying posts?
I'm nobody just like you, You started the childish remarks but what do you expect from a wannabe cop!
Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:51 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 273
Re: Flat Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorachick View Post
i meant in this thread, they seemed annoying to me
when I'm Annoyed by someone I do the right thing and ignore them/it.
Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:57 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 273
Re: Flat Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
when they make a track that lets me run people from a 40 roll up to 140, then well talk.
+1 but not quite 140 more like 110 for me.
Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:59 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
38special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Michigan
Posts: 58
Re: Flat Shifting

There are more races starting from a roll than not.
__________________
38special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:02 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 273
Re: Flat Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38special View Post
There are more races starting from a roll than not.
That's the only way I perfer it, I don't ride around with drag radials or MT stickies.
Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:35 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
meteorachick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,347
Send a message via AIM to meteorachick
Re: Flat Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape View Post
I'm nobody just like you, You started the childish remarks but what do you expect from a wannabe cop!
i'm going to take your own advice and ignore that comment.
__________________
In God We Trust. All Others Checked NCIC.

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:31 AM   #34
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Thomas91169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Region: California
Posts: 2,280
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Re: Flat Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape View Post
I'm nobody just like you, You started the childish remarks but what do you expect from a wannabe cop!
no way, cops are wannabe meteorachicks! shes fitting in to make them feel better about themselves.
__________________
-Thomas-

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:19 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Kiljosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,282
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh
Re: Flat Shifting

EXACTLY!

Btw I wear my loser badge of honor with pride.
__________________
Kiljosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Flat Stomach........ Herbstang The Bar 11 02-26-2009 10:47 PM
Some People are just Flat out Lucky bluemustang The Bar 2 02-20-2007 01:50 PM
WOOT!!! Another flat tire!!!! PureVenom The Bar 10 01-08-2007 04:29 PM
The Earth is FLAT SpectorV The Bar 18 09-19-2006 01:29 PM
FLAT TIRE! maverik The Bar 10 07-27-2003 11:26 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



01:09 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.