How to make your own clutch freeplay kit - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-19-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
How to make your own clutch freeplay kit

After attempting to adjust my clutch...again, I finally started looking into the freeplay kit offered by a company in the Mustang community. Being an instant gratification and cheap person I decided the price of said product was quite high for what you were getting and I wanted it done this weekend.

So...after some research and time spent at the local Lowe's store I came up with a much cheaper alternative that works just as well.

Some background to this problem.

When you install an aftermarket clutch setup the factory adjustment mechanism simply doesn't do the trick any longer. The easy fix to this problem is going with an aftermarket firewall adjuster and quadrant. The problem I ran into and several other people have run into is the throw out bearing simply will not stay off the pressure plate when you have the clutch comfortably adjusted.

There are a few ways to fix this issue, the best way to fix the problem is to run a different clutch fork to change the geometry of the entire system. Being the cheap person I am I looked into other options and the freeplay kit peaked my interest.

What you'll need:
These are Lowe's part numbers, you can probably find similar products at any home improvement store.

-246632 PB Spring Comp #47 $3.49
(the spring shown and the package for the spring)

-115970 1/2-3/4" PVC Male-Female adapter $0.72
(the small round pieces at the bottom of this picture)

The spring only comes as a set of two, so realistically for another 72 cents you will have two complete kits.

How to assemble:

Pull the clutch dust shield off the transmission and detach the clutch cable from the clutch fork.

Slide the adapter piece over the end of the clutch cable with the smaller hole towards the back of the car (this is what the spring will sit on).

You will need to modify the spring slightly to make it fit over the clutch cable. I used a pair of needle nose pliers and pried each end of the spring outward slightly a few times to get the proper clearance. Once you have enough clearance slide the spring over the end of the clutch cable and set it against the adapter piece.

Now comes the tricky part. While holding the spring away from the end slide the clutch cable back into the clutch fork and let the spring rest against the clutch fork.

Your setup should now look like this:

Now crank the vehicle and with it idling in neutral with the clutch released climb back under the vehicle and check for the throw out bearing spinning against the pressure plate. Using your firewall adjuster get the bearing to sit slightly off the pressure plate, the spring will allow you to adjust it slightly closer without the bearing sitting against the pressure plate.

Once you have it adjusted put the dust shield back over the transmission and set the car back on the ground and enjoy your newly adjusted clutch.

I know there are several pictures missing in this setup and if you want any specific pictures please let me know, probably going to go disassemble this setup and attempt to take step by step pictures now, just wanted to check for it actually working first.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: How to make your own clutch freeplay kit

nice, only issue I can see is the clutch petal would be high wouldnt it? or is the spring keeping it pulled down more than normal?
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

The clutch pedal is a little higher than I like..but it eliminates the slop at the top of the pedal. It also keeps the TOB off the pressure plate finally...never thought I'd get to that point.
Our's:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

Dude, props to you for coming up with idea. I definitely will be trying this in the near future.

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

I just couldn't stomach 15 plus bucks for the pre-made kit...
Our's:
Old 09-23-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
The clutch pedal is a little higher than I like..but it eliminates the slop at the top of the pedal. It also keeps the TOB off the pressure plate finally...never thought I'd get to that point.
Mine currently is also like this with the stock items, only issue is if you shift hard it will have a chance of unadjusting itself which sucks
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I have the $15 version sitting at the house waiting to go in and look forward to it. I'm not worried about clutch pedal height though since I currently have the MM adjuster kit and it is set at max height right now...so I have a good bit of adjustment left to lower it down.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
Mine currently is also like this with the stock items, only issue is if you shift hard it will have a chance of unadjusting itself which sucks
Put an aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster on the car...now...

I know you know what they do.
Our's:
Old 10-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #9

Wow glad I searched google and found this, I was considering getting the LDC freeplay kit from lethal performance. $15 is a bit high for what you're getting but like any business they did the research so when all said and done it's not THAT bad, I blow $15 on junk on a regular basis so for what this mod does $15 is worth the price.

However, lethal appears to be the only reseller of this thing and they quoted me $10+ to ship it? That's ridiculously high shipping rate, I can't justify in my own mind being ripped off for some plastic piece and simple spring. Honestly I'm just *****ing but whatever I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time for writing this up, I was actually going to head over to the hardware store and try to find something that would work myself so you saved me some time.
pumm3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumm3l View Post
Wow glad I searched google and found this, I was considering getting the LDC freeplay kit from lethal performance. $15 is a bit high for what you're getting but like any business they did the research so when all said and done it's not THAT bad, I blow $15 on junk on a regular basis so for what this mod does $15 is worth the price.

However, lethal appears to be the only reseller of this thing and they quoted me $10+ to ship it? That's ridiculously high shipping rate, I can't justify in my own mind being ripped off for some plastic piece and simple spring. Honestly I'm just *****ing but whatever I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time for writing this up, I was actually going to head over to the hardware store and try to find something that would work myself so you saved me some time.
Exactly why I made the post. It's not an expensive part to begin with...I just didn't want to pay that much for what it is.
Our's:
Old 10-18-2010, 07:40 PM   #11

Did you have an issue with the spring slipping into the pvc reducer? I picked up those parts today and the hole on the reducer is just a 1-2mm smaller than the spring but spring has elasticity so if I press on it hard enough with my fingers it falls into the hole. I think I might still use it but maybe see if I can find a washer to reduce the hole a little more so the spring doesn't slip inside.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Did you have an issue with the spring slipping into the pvc reducer? I picked up those parts today and the hole on the reducer is just a 1-2mm smaller than the spring but spring has elasticity so if I press on it hard enough with my fingers it falls into the hole. I think I might still use it but maybe see if I can find a washer to reduce the hole a little more so the spring doesn't slip inside.
It acted like it would be an issue...but never slipped on mine.

If you find a better part please post up, just someone trying to find a more affordable option.
Our's:
Old 10-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
It acted like it would be an issue...but never slipped on mine.

If you find a better part please post up, just someone trying to find a more affordable option.
Okay just checking, I'm sure I'll figure something out. It might okay as is but I would feel more comfortable if it were slightly smaller in diameter.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #14

Went to home depot today and found something:

This is the piece here:
Carlon 1/2 in. PVC Conduit Box Adapter - E996DR-CTN at The Home Depot

The spring doesn't slip into this one like the other one and it even looks a little like the piece that comes with the Chicago LDC kit. I had an old cable laying in the garage that I test fitted it on and it seems like it'll work perfectly.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:46 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

I tried that exact piece but couldn't get it to sit flush how I wanted...

It's still sitting on my work table in the garage actually.
Our's:
Old 10-19-2010, 09:58 PM   #16

Yea now that I'm lookin at your photo I see it right there on the bench heh. Was it not sitting flush on the cable or in your hand? As you probably already know the spring is a pretty tight fit over the cable boot on the end there so as long as it doesn't slip inside the adapter and is straight which I think the cable will force it to be I think it'll be okay. Another guy who I showed this to noticed that the spring was slipping in as well when he picked it up and went off on his own and found the same adapter I found but he's going to use it with both:

Old 10-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

That's another option I tried, but once again couldn't get it to sit flush.

I'm talking about where the cable comes through the housing and is mounted with a c-clip. The c-clip on my T56 has a raised part to aid in removing. The raised part made it impossible to get that other part or the two together to sit flush. I like the way the part I used sat flush and was firmly in there.
Our's:
Old 10-19-2010, 10:41 PM   #18

ahh I know what you're talking about regarding the c-clip, you're saying it didn't sit flush against that, I thought you meant the spring against the adapter.

Looking at the ldc Chicago part - the plastic piece they use has an outside diameter short enough that doesn't hit the c-clip lip but inside diameter wide enough to fit over the cable, it's probably more trouble than it's worth trying to hit every hardware store to find something exactly like that, worst case I may just dremel the outside of this plastic fitting so it has a flat spot to clear the c-clip lip. One day this week I'll play around with it and let you know what I end up doing.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:59 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
ahh I know what you're talking about regarding the c-clip, you're saying it didn't sit flush against that, I thought you meant the spring against the adapter.

Looking at the ldc Chicago part - the plastic piece they use has an outside diameter short enough that doesn't hit the c-clip lip but inside diameter wide enough to fit over the cable, it's probably more trouble than it's worth trying to hit every hardware store to find something exactly like that, worst case I may just dremel the outside of this plastic fitting so it has a flat spot to clear the c-clip lip. One day this week I'll play around with it and let you know what I end up doing.
That would probably work out just fine.

Just wanted to make it as simple as possible. I might hit mine with the dremel next week when I can put it on jackstands.
Our's:
Old 10-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #20

Finally had some time to put this in, it was odd though. I actually had to use 2 of those pvc adapters (the new adapters that I found at home depot) on mine- one on each side of the spring. For some reason the space from the clutch fork and hole in the trans for the cable is larger than yours. Even with 2 of those pvc fittings in mine it doesn't push the fork that much, I could probably stick a couple washers in there to add some more resistance.

I think the fingers on my pressure plate stick out further than other pressure plates which is why need that extra slack on my cable so it doesn't sit on the pressure plate. I have a UPR double lock firewall adjuster, maximum motorsports quadrant and a RAM powergrip clutch/pressure plate. This is also on a 99 GT with a t45 for point of reference. I thought maybe I had something installed wrong but the car shifts fine so I don't think it's that, I can't explain the extra space other than the pressure plate fingers sticking out further.

Oh and I didn't have to dremel the piece down either it cleared that little lip on the c-clip easily for me.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:44 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Finally had some time to put this in, it was odd though. I actually had to use 2 of those pvc adapters (the new adapters that I found at home depot) on mine- one on each side of the spring. For some reason the space from the clutch fork and hole in the trans for the cable is larger than yours. Even with 2 of those pvc fittings in mine it doesn't push the fork that much, I could probably stick a couple washers in there to add some more resistance.

I think the fingers on my pressure plate stick out further than other pressure plates which is why need that extra slack on my cable so it doesn't sit on the pressure plate. I have a UPR double lock firewall adjuster, maximum motorsports quadrant and a RAM powergrip clutch/pressure plate. This is also on a 99 GT with a t45 for point of reference. I thought maybe I had something installed wrong but the car shifts fine so I don't think it's that, I can't explain the extra space other than the pressure plate fingers sticking out further.

Oh and I didn't have to dremel the piece down either it cleared that little lip on the c-clip easily for me.
We'll just have to chock that up to different models...
Our's:
Old 10-25-2010, 07:51 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

So wouldn't an adjuster and quadrant eliminate these issues? Just curious.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #23
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

No, if you tighten a firewall adjuster up enough to remove the slack, it will be putting pressure on the pressure plate. This just makes it so that there is no slack in the cable without causing constant pressure on the pressure plate.

I have an adjuster and can make it go away, and did with my previous clutch. It lasted a year and a half and I had to replace it. Now I deal with the slack until I get around to installing my freeplay kit I bought with some other parts.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
No, if you tighten a firewall adjuster up enough to remove the slack, it will be putting pressure on the pressure plate. This just makes it so that there is no slack in the cable without causing constant pressure on the pressure plate.

I have an adjuster and can make it go away, and did with my previous clutch. It lasted a year and a half and I had to replace it. Now I deal with the slack until I get around to installing my freeplay kit I bought with some other parts.
Ok. I never noticed any issues on either of my cars with freeplay but maybe I just didn't really care enough. It never bothered me.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:56 AM   #25

The stock parts do a good job with that, I notice it more with the aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster than the stock parts. But it's necessary for my clutch setup so I had no choice, comfort seems to go out the window when you require a clutch that can hold 550 hp or beyond. My problem is that the new quadrant rattles around when cruising and I get some vibrations in my clutch pedal because it's looser with the new parts installed so the intent of the spring is to add some resistance to keep the TOB away from the PP and also keep things tight so they don't rattle around.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The stock parts do a good job with that, I notice it more with the aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster than the stock parts. But it's necessary for my clutch setup so I had no choice, comfort seems to go out the window when you require a clutch that can hold 550 hp or beyond. My problem is that the new quadrant rattles around when cruising and I get some vibrations in my clutch pedal because it's looser with the new parts installed so the intent of the spring is to add some resistance to keep the TOB away from the PP and also keep things tight so they don't rattle around.
My point was that the aftermarkets eliminated the issue for me almost everytime.

Also, if you need a powerful lightweight clutch look for the Twin Disc designs.... they are as easy as a Ranger but powerful to support most anything.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #27
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
Ok. I never noticed any issues on either of my cars with freeplay but maybe I just didn't really care enough. It never bothered me.
My clutch pedal rattles while driving due to the exhaust note...drives me up the wall. If I put my foot under the pedal, it will stop. The free play kit will fix it. The firewall adjuster also rattles but stops when there is any little tension on the cable, so I am hoping the freeplay kit will kill that as well.

I adjusted mine to the point where the rattles stopped before, and it burnt up my clutch...so I'm dealing with them until I get the kit installed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT