What to do - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
What to do

Kinda new to the mustang world but not new to the car world at all. I know that power increase is at is best with both exhaust upgrades and intake upgrades. However with money tight I have to space things out, what would be the best to do first. I am not trying to set the world on fire, but would like a little pep in my step. I would like to let the car breathe a little better but It also has to be able to exhale just as easily. Any input would be good input. Thanks for your opinions and time.
Randl114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: What to do

Welcome and yes exhaust and intake upgrades can help to weasel out a few extra horses or ft-lbs of tourque especially when combined with a correct tune for the vehicle. What kind of car do you have and what kind of budget are you looking at?
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Its a 96 GT. Budget isn't a huge issue. I run a parts house so cost of parts are pretty good but I don't have the time to give to both projects at once. If I am stuck only doing one or the other I would like to know which one is best to do first. I am not looking to make a race car but.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Well if your looking into doing Full Exhaust (headers/midpipe/catback) the I would work those first. You will see significant gains from exhuast manifolds(headers) and the midpipe and catback will free up some horse power.

The Cold Air/Ram Air intakes + MAF don't really make much of a difference on those cars. If your considering intakes then there are a few different options available but I would recommend the PI upgrade (upgrade to the 99+style) for the engine to pick up the additional power before intakes.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

exhaust before intake since it not only helps power but sound and looks (if you do catback)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Cool thanks for the advice.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
A.K.A. Baby-D!

welcome to the site. pretty much got your questions answered, and i totally agree with the above!
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:12 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

exhaust, lowering and nice wheels/tires thats generally a good start
Old 11-07-2010, 11:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah

I'm new here too. I have 1996 GT that I traded this spring for a GSX-R that I crashed and rebuilt. I plan on keeping the car in the garge for a couple of years untill my son gets his licence then it will be his to drive. The car is in really good shape 80,000 miles with a new stock factory motor that was put in 20,000 miles ago.

When I test drove it I was suprised at how little power it had. This is the first "Muscle Car" that I have owned but it doesn't feel any faster than my pick-up trucks.

The guy I traded with had a Flowmaster Exhast (Cat back only) and me and my son put in a K&N intake. I'd like to do some more mods to it. I'd like to mods that I can do with my son, in the garage at home. (Teach him a little bit about motors and cars) I'm an O.K. mechanic, I rebuild the motors on my 4-stroke motocross bikes and used to work on my cars when I was younger.

I would like some suggestions for some bolt-on upgrades that would make this car go. What have you guys done? Whats worked good for you?
Old 11-08-2010, 12:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang339 View Post
I'm new here too. I have 1996 GT that I traded this spring for a GSX-R that I crashed and rebuilt. I plan on keeping the car in the garge for a couple of years untill my son gets his licence then it will be his to drive. The car is in really good shape 80,000 miles with a new stock factory motor that was put in 20,000 miles ago.

When I test drove it I was suprised at how little power it had. This is the first "Muscle Car" that I have owned but it doesn't feel any faster than my pick-up trucks.

The guy I traded with had a Flowmaster Exhast (Cat back only) and me and my son put in a K&N intake. I'd like to do some more mods to it. I'd like to mods that I can do with my son, in the garage at home. (Teach him a little bit about motors and cars) I'm an O.K. mechanic, I rebuild the motors on my 4-stroke motocross bikes and used to work on my cars when I was younger.

I would like some suggestions for some bolt-on upgrades that would make this car go. What have you guys done? Whats worked good for you?
I would suggest some PI heads from a 99 - 04 model that someone is selling.You can find good prices on those.That would be a big improvement in power.
gray 02 gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:36 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I just spent the last hour reading older threads and swapping out PI heads seems to be what everyone suggest. How much $$$ is a "good price". It sound like there is alot to it but I would be willing to do it if I had a good step by step discription of the process.

BTW what does the "PI" stand for? I like the sound of 285hp. I looked it up and appantly the stock 1996 GT is the lowest powered V8 Mustang in the last 25 years.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

PI stands for POLICE INTERCEPTOR witch means they would have the same heads as the police car.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman View Post
PI stands for POLICE INTERCEPTOR witch means they would have the same heads as the police car.
No it doesn't. PI stands for Performance Increaser. I looked it up.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

PI heads are coined for 99-04 GT heads vs 96-98 heads.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang339 View Post
No it doesn't. PI stands for Performance Increaser. I looked it up.
Then look up the police car heads they are the same thing. they might call it performance increaser but why do you think the police cars had more power.

If you bought a 96-98 police special mustang they came with those heads and the tune for the computer was a little different
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman View Post
Then look up the police car heads they are the same thing. they might call it performance increaser but why do you think the police cars had more power.

If you bought a 96-98 police special mustang they came with those heads and the tune for the computer was a little different
PI can mean both Police Interceptor and Performance Increaser depending on which situation your using them. In this case it is the Performance Increaser.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #17

pi stands for power improver.... not that it really matters.
96gtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:14 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to 1ijack

WoW! we really got a battle royal going on here. well the last I looked it stood for Performance increaser, which is how ford decribed it to me today when i was asking the tech about changing my heads over to twisted wedges from trick flow.

The Mustang Mafia
"Join the family, if you dare"
www.themustangmafia.com
1ijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:16 AM   #19

well as long as we all know that we are talkin bout the same thing i guess it doesnt matter what it stands for! its like Happy Gilmore said "Gold jacket Green jacket, Who gives a ****!"
96gtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:44 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

So back to the question of how much (parts only) to install a set of Purple Igloo heads? If I can find a Paranoid Indian head are there suppliers that would sell the rest of the needed hardware in a kit? Or am I going to have to get a parts list from you all here?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:38 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

the newer heads raise compression up a good bit as well FYI
Old 11-18-2010, 08:55 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Is your GT an auto...if so I'd look into a tuner too. The changes to your transmission will be worth the $400 for the tuner alone. I'd do exhaust, CAI and any other small bolto ons first, then get the tuner to make them more effective. Or if you buy a tuner with free tunes for life like at American Muscle, you can have new tunes made and sent to download onto your tuner when you add more mods.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:26 AM   #23

Region: Washington
Send a message via MSN to SHADOW Send a message via Yahoo to SHADOW

ok just to straighten this out the PI stands for performance inproved and if you put them on a non-PI engine you will actually put out more power than the factory pi engines due to a bump in the compression. headers on the 2v engines are useless unless you go with long tubes and those are expensive. the best bet to get more power for your money is to do the PI head swap and combine that with a O/R mid pipe and a cat-back of your choice, then do a CAI I would recomend the K&N FIPK II it is a very good kit and looks very clean in the engine compartment. then get a tuner either an SCT or a diablosport both are very good quallity. I worken in a mustang specialty shop for a while and have seen very noticable HP anTQ gains from these mpds hope i help you out and have fun modding. also Steeda underdrive pullys are awsome, dont get the cheaper ones like BBK has they arent very safe. hope to see the parts flying soon.
SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:16 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to drusmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96gtjoe View Post
well as long as we all know that we are talkin bout the same thing i guess it doesnt matter what it stands for! its like Happy Gilmore said "Gold jacket Green jacket, Who gives a ****!"
Nice one! LMFAO
drusmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT