01' GT died need help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #1

Region: California
01' GT died need help

So my mustang decided today its done running for its neglectful owner. Long story short my car drove fine to one store today then another store fine. Leaving the parking lot right after starting it up I noticed the engine running rough. It was misfiring. I gave it throttle and it made a weird noise and rpm dropped dramatically, when i let off gas returned to normal idle. At this point i was out of parking lots hoping to get back into it at next drive way. I continued to try and feather gas and then it cut completely out and I couldn't restart.

Now somethings that may have contributed to this breakdown are:

1- I live in the high desert of California this winter which is a lot colder than the other part of Cali I used to live.
2- My ABS light came on about 2 months ago, and shortly after realized my tired in the back and one in the front were worn almost to metal. And also my traction control is stuck off.
3- I replaced the three tires that needed replacing and had car aligned
4- A while back on fathers day i was hit on my right rear fender by my Dads ranger while he was acting like an idiot doing donuts in the dirt.

I have some mechanically experience and know how but this is something i cant figure out and is stressing me out. I just bought a fixer upper house which hasn't giving me much time or funds to maintain my car or even fix some stuff that needs to be repaired.

My theories right now are initially water got into my spark plug hole again, which seemed odd because last time it just ran like crap but still ran and plus I replaced the intake myself about a year ago. I verified it wasnt that by removing a plug and there was no coolant present.

Then I kinda think maybe my timing chain or belt (haven't found out which I have yet) may have broke or came loose.

But I am mostly leaning towards it having to do with that damn ABS problem. After reading how they work a little bit and the way the car felt before it stalled it kinda seem like that my be the issue.

It felt and sounded exactly like it feels when you have traction control on and try to burn out. I have been searching but might not be putting right keywords, idk. Any and all input on this issue is greatly appreciated or even a link to a topic concerning something similar, Thanks.
JEAUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 11:30 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Re: 01' GT died need help

The abs isn't going to stop your car from running and the traction control won't work since the abs brakes aren't working. I would check the timing chain/chains first and also see if its firing then check for fuel pressure.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
How many miles? Any over heating, or check engine light issues?

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
How hard were you hit by your dads truck... I'm not sure on this but you could have a faulty inertia switch that could have shut off fuel supply
KMP90GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #5

The hit was pretty minor just a bent quarter panel. I have been tinkering with it with some advice from my friend, who said keep it simple. So i verified it had spark and thought i had a check engine light but no codes showed. Then i checked for fuel and fuel pressure at the valve on the fuel injector rail, and all that came out was a small burst of air. According to my friend gas should be coming from that pretty readily.

So i am thinking i have a fuel problem which might be the fuel pump. I have 120k miles and no overheating problems, coolant oil looks fine. Also i put my ear on side of car to listen for a humm from the fuel pump and heard nothing.

My fuel gauge shows over quarter tank but i am gonna start with putting a couple gallons of gas to make sure I didnt just run out of gas and have a faulty gas gauge.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #6

I am also going to check out the inertia switch and see if its tripped and try to reset it if it is.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Good luck tell us what it was then.
KMP90GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

If only air came out at the fuel rail.. I would definitely start with the fuel system

Is there any chance your car was showing the incorrect fuel level and you ran dry?

If you turn the key 'on' with the door open, do you hear the fuel pump prime? (key on -> fuel pump turns on for ~3 seconds)

Could be inertia switch but not too likely - it wouldn't cause a rough running THEN no start condition..

Right rear fender, are you thinking car terms (Right being Passenger side - facing forward) or Right facing the back of the car (driver's side)?
Old 12-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #9

Well I checked all fuses and determined pump is not coming on when switch the car on. I believe my problem is with the inertia switch, fuel pump relay, or the fuel pump. I doubt its anything to do with the fuel filter since i replaced it about a year ago and the pump isn't coming on. I just have to figure out how to determine if the inertia switch is bad, and find the relay and test it too. I want to eliminate those two components before I replace the pump.

Also in terms of where i was hit, it was the passenger side back tire.

If anyone has the known about when testing an inertia switch on or off vehicle and where the fuel pump relay would be located that would help greatly.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

To rule out the inertia switch, just disconnect it and use a aperclip or jumper wire across the terminals of the connector.. if vehicle still doesn't start then it wasn't the switch..
Old 12-06-2010, 07:51 PM   #11

Yeah I did that earlier now I am pretty sure its not the inertia switch, now. I am gonna try and find the fuel pump relay or the connection to the fuel pump. I was told if I have power to the pump at the connector then the relay is not the problem. Also at that point it would almost be certain I need a new pump.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:05 AM   #12
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

fuel relay is under the hood in the fuse box and the connector for the fuel pump is in the middle of your gas tank in the back by the bumper.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #13

Update: I have found the fuel pump connector but I also found the FPDM (Fuel pump driver module) this is located close to the inertia switch on drivers side in trunk compartment. Well I found out how to test on a web side. It said to jump two pins and turn key on and if volts are above 10.5 replace module. Well mine is at 9.6 volts but I am wondering if its just my battery is a little dead from cranking and sitting? Any thoughts? I figure if its not this It must be the pump.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #14

So it was the pump just replaced it today. Before I dropped the tank I did one final test. I verified I had volts to the pump connector. I did so I was pretty sure it was the pump. Total cost to fix was $180 dollars for the pump, fuel line disconnect tool, and a rubber seal for the gas fill tube.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:06 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Thatta boy. Now get out and drive er
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT